JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first off I am new to the jeep world and have been doing some research but I have not' found a whole lot of info on pulling boats. I have a 2011 JKU, automatic with a 2 inch lift on 295/??/17's. I do not really trail or have not trailed my jeep yet but I do love to fish.

I am in the military and was stationed in SC where I would pull my bass boat around the small town I lived in. It was not a problem because of the low speeds in the small town. I have since moved to Baltimore md and will head down to SC to pick my boat up in the spring to bring up interstate 95 and pull around this area. My question to you guys would be, what would be the best gear ratio to pull my boat, appx 2000 pounds. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I pulled my ski boat, 19' maxim, not sure how much it weighs but im sure its close to yours with my 08 with stock gears and 35 in tires, its not horrible but I think 4.10-4.88's would be a good choice for ya.
I have a 4.10 ring and pinion for the rear axle if your interested, yours if you want it, just pay for shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
With an auto 5.13-5.38 will be best. It will drive like a regular vehicle instead of an anemic slug on a salt flat raining razor blades with lemon juice fog!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think 5.13's might be a bit steep for the tire he is running, on the other hand if/when you decide to go to a bigger tire youll already be ready to run.
Nice thing with the 2011 they increased the gearing in the transmission so you get a little more outta first and you have the extra gear in the top end for cruising down the high way.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gear for the tire size, not the towing. (ie. the 99+% of the time you are not towing, not the less than 1% of the time you are). With a pre-'12 auto, no reason not to go 5.13/5.38 once you go above stock tire sizes.

I tow a 3500lb boat with my JKU auto running 5.13's & 32" actual height tires (295/75/16's), 5.13s & 33.5" actual height (315/75/16's), and am currently running 5.38's & the 33.5" tires. Other than a gutless engine on hills, no issues pulling it on the freeways. I can maintain 75 in OD on flat stretches, even up around 80 a few times. OD Off, I keep it in the 65-70 range.

There is a good rpm chart floating around here somewhere that is specific to the JK. Measure your tires and plug some numbers in. If you want the OD Off rpm's, divide the OD On number you get by .69.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gear for the tire size, not the towing. (ie. the 99+% of the time you are not towing, not the less than 1% of the time you are). With a pre-'12 auto, no reason not to go 5.13/5.38 once you go above stock tire sizes.

I tow a 3500lb boat with my JKU auto running 5.13's & 32" actual height tires (295/75/16's), 5.13s & 33.5" actual height (315/75/16's), and am currently running 5.38's & the 33.5" tires. Other than a gutless engine on hills, no issues pulling it on the freeways. I can maintain 75 in OD on flat stretches, even up around 80 a few times. OD Off, I keep it in the 65-70 range.

There is a good rpm chart floating around here somewhere that is specific to the JK. Measure your tires and plug some numbers in. If you want the OD Off rpm's, divide the OD On number you get by .69.
I agree gear for you tire size not towing, I have pulled a 17 bass boat with mine with 35 inch tires and a 4 inch lift and it pulled it fine. I just ordered new gears last week for mine and am going with 5.38 because I am planning on putting 37s on in the next year. You should be fine ok pulling the boat back with what you have, and if you still just planning on pulling it around town where you live now. I probably wouldn't spend the money on a gear swap just to pull a boat back, unless you plan on increaseing tire size too in the future! A gear swap will run you $800 plus installation. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So, first off I am new to the jeep world and have been doing some research but I have not' found a whole lot of info on pulling boats. I have a 2011 JKU, automatic with a 2 inch lift on 295/??/17's. I do not really trail or have not trailed my jeep yet but I do love to fish.

I am in the military and was stationed in SC where I would pull my bass boat around the small town I lived in. It was not a problem because of the low speeds in the small town. I have since moved to Baltimore md and will head down to SC to pick my boat up in the spring to bring up interstate 95 and pull around this area. My question to you guys would be, what would be the best gear ratio to pull my boat, appx 2000 pounds. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to JKO - did you get the expert advice you were after?

Couple of issues you should consider of course; you do not have the same gear ratio needs at sea level as say someone towing in Colorado from an engine performance standpoint. I have no idea about this gearing to tire size and not tow-ability theory but clearly you are on the right track regearing for your utility use of choice. Many gear shops have clients walk through the door everyday requesting a re-gear in order to enhance on-road performance while towing. Additionally, a properly geared vehicle will cause the least amount of stress on an automatic transmission.

My non-expert advice: when you get your Jeep and trailer up to Baltimore, drop by a gear shop that has a great reputation (someone in a regional forum here may be able to help you select one), have someone there go for a test drive and discuss the performance/$$ return and then you can come back and be the resident gear expert here - it appears we need one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.