Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ALL 4 of my Dewalt batteries are dead. My drill is about 6 years old and the cordless circular is around a decade. I'm, thinking about the time I buy new batteries the drill and/or saw are gonna grenade. That's how things typically work out for angrysam.

Word I'm hearing is Dewalt ain't worth much these days. That true?

So who should I get a kit from? I'll want a drill and circular at a minimum. Cordless sawzall would be nice for chasing neighbor kids on the Harley. 'Splain yer thoughts iffin you get an extra minute.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
I've been there too. Just as cheap to get a whole new tool instead of ordering just the batteries on their own. :pissed:

However, as a replacement, I'd go with either Porter Cable or Dewalt. Also, consider an impact driver. Those things are AMAZING. :bounce:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I got some seat time with a Milwaukee driver a while back. NICE!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Buy nothing but Li-Ion, DeWalt, Porter Cable is okay (not what it used to be), Makita, Milwaukee.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
I've had great luck with my dewalt 18v impact driver, 18v hammerdrill/driver, and my 4-1/2" cut-off saw.
I've used Makita, Ryobi, Craftsman cordless before fwiw.

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
If you stick with Dewalt shoot me a list, I have a little pull with them:)

The new 20 Volt stuff that Dewalt has come out with is pretty damn cool, it has a lot of cool features.

I always take care of the JKO guys!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you stick with Dewalt shoot me a list, I have a little pull with them:)

The new 20 Volt stuff that Dewalt has come out with is pretty damn cool, it has a lot of cool features.

I always take care of the JKO guys!
I've looked at this stuff and like it but it doesn't seem that they have much available in this line currently. Are there plans for more? Specifically a good 3/8 impact?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Makita for the win, I've NEVER had a bad battery since 92. I've yet to have a dewalt or any other last over 3 years, my makitas my old 9.6 volt batteries are still holding up for my mom. I gave it to her about ten years ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went with DAAwalt since its the only one I have had.....:)

I have beat the snot out of my drill and impact driver.....bought the kit from HD (18V) to build my deck and got the free impact driver.....i use the impact all the time with the jeep.
T

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I am going on five years with my dewalt drill, sawzall, and 4.5" ciculuar with the flashlight that only gets used to drain my batteries before a charge. No complaints I love my old dewalt. Can't speak for the new stuff though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The lifespan on a DW battery is about 5-6 years then they start going bad. You can pick up 2 new batteries on sale at Lowe's for $99. If you still have good tools you are better off just replacing the batteries. IF you are going to start upgrading to the new 20v LI tools, you can replace the batteries with LI batteries as they will fit the 18v tools.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good info here, fellers. Thanks. Plumber I'll give you a holler if I land on Dewalt.

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Years ago I won a DeWalt 14.4 drill at their little contest before the Daytona 500.. Couldn't find it for a few years then lo and behold I found it covered in water in the back of my old truck

Still works fine, just smokes a bit sometimes :thankyou:

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I have the following: 3/8 Milwaukee drill / impact. 1/2 Milwaukee drill / impact. Both are fantastic and work great. Made in China but at a Milwaukee factory. I have a Dewalt 1/2 impact and its also very good. All are great tools worth buying.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well figured I'd update this since I finally made my decision. I'm going with Makita. I was pretty well set on them last week and then they came out with this promotion:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Promotions/LXTBareTools2012/

Sealed the deal. I'm going to pick up the LXT211 combo and grab me a free circular saw.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts