JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to assemble a kit of cheap tools to keep in my JK. I went to Harbor Freight today, and bought some tools. However, I missed some things like a T50 bit, because they didn't have any sets w/ that bit. Also, I am hoping to get advice on the tools I did buy, and see which I should just return.

One more thing: to take your doors off, do you use a Torx bit with a socket wrench, or do you use a screwdriver with the T50 bit?

If someone could link me to a better set, I could just return this stuff and buy that set.

Multi-Angle Ratchet Screwdriver 7.99
3/8" Drive Deep Wall Socket Set, Metric, 10-19mm, 21mm 10.99
Combination Wrench Set, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19mm 7.99
Snap Blad Utility Knife 1.79
Metric Hex Key Set, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 8, 10mm 2.19
2 pairs split leather work gloves 1.79
8" needlenose pliers 2.99
3oz can WD-40
50yd x 2" duct tape 3.99
100 11" black zip ties 2.49
60ft x 3/4" electrical tape 0.79
7" Curved Jaw Locking Pliers 3.99
3/8" ratchet wrench, 11/16" - 5/32", 8 point 1/4" drive socket sizes: 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", metric socket sizes: 4mm-15mm, 2-3/4" extension, 3/8" to 1/4" adapter 3.99
15" canvas tool bag 7.99
4 400lb ratcheting tie downs 10.39
100pc security bit set with T8-T45 bits 8.99
12ft 8 gauge jumper cables 11.99

Thanks!

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
4,590 Posts
Generally, a normal socket will work. There might be times when a deep socket is needed. IIRC, my drag link needed a deep 15mm. I think that might be the only deep socket I've bought.

3/8" is fine, but it can't hurt to have a 1/2". Honestly, I've got both AND I've got adapters for 3/8" to 1/2" and 1/2" to 3/8". I think I've got all bases covered. LOL

Regular screwdriver set? Yeah, you'll have some screws here and there in the JK. Bits? Eh, if you want. Can't hurt.

Extensions are good sometimes. Problem is, you can't really predict when you're gonna need them. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you located, man? Might help you to get out to an install party and see what some other guys are carryin'...
I'm near San Jose, CA. Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm going to return some of this stuff, and go pick up a Torx bit set as well as the sockets I'm missing.

My understanding is that nothing on a JK needs SAE. Is that true?

· Registered
34 Posts
Light, one of those $3.00 HF specials with 27 LED's with the hook and the magnet works well.

Deep seat sockets in 1/2" & a breaker bar- useful for lug nuts - especially if you run aftermarket wheels where you can't get a lug wrench in there. The breaker bar has many uses on the trail, including, uh, breaking things.

Fluids, a couple of funnels, flask or canteen or collapsable jug.

Spool of wire, and/or a couple of coat hangers can come in handy

· Official Monkey Business
8,910 Posts
I carry general tools and the tools to pull a front axel. I've loaned out my alex nut socket 2 or 3 times, haven't had to use it my self on the trail:beer:

· JKO Dickhead
2,597 Posts
This :

http://www.sears.com/tools-tool-sets-mechanics-tool-sets/s-1021346

plus a T50 Torx Bit, 18mm wrench, 36mm socket, some duct tape and zip ties and there isnt too much you wont be able to to. all fits in ths included craftsman box which you can throw right in the back of the jeep.

all the trays are form fitted for each tool, so they stay somewhat secure while wheeling. and the top latches and two side latches keep the drawers from sliding out.

all for under 200 bucks !

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This :

http://www.sears.com/tools-tool-sets-mechanics-tool-sets/s-1021346

plus a T50 Torx Bit, 18mm wrench, 36mm socket, some duct tape and zip ties and there isnt too much you wont be able to to. all fits in ths included craftsman box which you can throw right in the back of the jeep.

all the trays are form fitted for each tool, so they stay somewhat secure while wheeling. and the top latches and two side latches keep the drawers from sliding out.

all for under 200 bucks !
Asmmns: thanks for that awesome advice. I picked up that kit today for $185 after tax. It even comes with a T50 bit in the kit and is made in the US! I'm going to keep this in my house, and a shitty set in the Jeep ($40 from Lowes). The one in my Jeep doesn't have all of these tools, but man what a steal this was. I'd be scared of someone stealing it while my top was down, still. Thanks for showing it to me!

· JKO Dickhead
2,597 Posts
No problem man... That's what we are here for !

Can't go wrong with that set. Plus it's craftsman lifetime guarantee !

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone recommend a place to get an inexpensive but quality torque wrench? I need both foot-lbs and inch-lbs wrenches.

Sears wants like $70, and Lowe's wants $90.

· JKO Dickhead
2,597 Posts
I cant say its quality.. but I got a 30 buck one at my local Auto Zone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.