JKOwners Forum banner

Nebraska Overlanding?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pvanweelden 
#1 ·
Bought my jeep a few months ago and had to tweak a few things before I was comfortable with taking it out. So now that I have everything ready to go the next question is, where do I go? I live in Omaha and would like to find somewhere within a 4-5 hours to go drive out in the middle of no where and camp. I don't really know if there is any places like that close to me and would rather not drive out very far on the first trip in case something goes wrong. So, whats your favorite places to go or where should I look? Any help is appreciated. New to the forum and the jeep community as a whole so if this is a newbie question please disregard. Thanks again.

#2 ·
Go Big Red! I used to live in Nebraska... moved to Nevada to go 4 wheeling!

There isn't much opportunity for off road recreation in Nebraska, but for camping and some back country feel, you could head for the Nebraska National Forest (the only hand planted forest in the USA!) near Halsey. It's a couple hundred miles from Omaha, but there are dirt roads to explore, lots of trees, and some fairly nice camping locations.

I've read there are some 4x4 opportunities along the shoreline of Lake McConaughey, but you are getting pretty far from home there.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Smart move on your part I am starting to realize that Nebraska (while having it's benefits) is kind of shitty place to live if you like wheeling and overlanding. Might have to move out to Colorado where my family is from, there's tons of BLM land out there to explore. I've never been to Nebraska national forest so I might just have to make the trek and see what it's all about hopefully it's not super busy. Thanks!

#5 ·
Sorry, i had to lol at the thread title... :)
I am from Des Moines, so I can laugh with ya on lack of places to do anything offroad.
Tuttle Creek and Kansas Rocks and as mentioned Halsey are going to be your closest offroad parks.
A few more hours away and you get Disney OK, or SMORR, MO.
The long drive to the Rockies would always be my choice

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.