JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mexico - National Jeep JK Event

Hi folks, just to let you know of an upcoming National JK event south of the border in Mexico:

REUNION JEEP JK MEXICO 2009

Dates: Nov 13 - 16, 2009 (Mexican long weekend)

Its about 5.5 hour drive south from Laredo, Texas. Real de Catorce is a very old mining town located in scenic Catorce mountains, steeped in very rich history and tradition. Designated as one of Mexico's Magical Pueblos.
Info on Real de Catorce
More Info

Details: This will be a JK only event. Trails rides for stock and modified JKs on Saturday and Sunday. Several social events and get-togethers, Mexican style! Mexican "jeeperos" know how to have a good time!

Accomodation: Hotel and tent camping. Due to very cool temperatures in Nov, hotel is recommended. Make your hotel accomodations as soon as possible. Space is limited. Hotel list

Is it safe?: Hell yes. Stay on the main freeway/highway on the way down and you'll be fine. If you feel uncomfortable traveling alone, travel in a group via the main highways and you'll be safe. If you want to travel in a caravan, let us know and we'll try to organize one.

Very unique opportunity to wheel south of the border. Several attendees will be english speaking.

More info:
If you can read spanish: http://www.jeeperos.com/foros/showthread.php?t=71431

If not, email us for info in english: [email protected]

Side note: The movies "The Mexican" (Brad Pitt/Julia Roberts) and "Bandidas" (Salma Hyak/ Penelope Cruz) were filmed in Real de Catorce. Matthew McConaughey, the actor, is a frequent visitor in the area.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Don't know who your shooter was but VERY nice photo work. Thanks for posting:beer:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO profesional shooter. Just assorted pictures from particpants' cameras.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love Mexico and the Mexican people, but will never go there in this turmoil that is going on. I realize that it is american drug lust that fuels the violence...but I have heard horror stories about what happens to gringos down there, To all who go... be careful and good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a non-hispanic gringo who has been living in Mexico off and on for the past 30 years, I can tell you that most of the violence is limited to the border area with USA and in large cities. The violence is between rival drug gangs, police and military, and rarely involves members of the public. The Mexican countryside and resort areas are generally peaceful and safe. I have traveled, wheeled and camped all over Mexico in my jeeps and never had a problem. Once you understand the culture and which places to avoid, you are reasonably safe. Just as in many US cities, you avoid certain neighborhoods and locales. Always travel in a group (as jeepers generally do anyway). My personal experience has been that 99% of Mexicans are really nice, friendly, and very hospitable, even in the current situation.

Mexico offers an incredible amount of wheeling opportunities without all the hassles of land use regulations and closure issues that you have stateside. If you do travel into Mexico, plan your route carefully and hook up with the local jeep clubs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gotta love the picture of Peyote just chilling on the side of the road...

·
Registered
43 Posts
We are planing a trip thru baja i august from san diego al the way down to cabo 2 jeep clubs in mexico are going with us. ill keep you guys informed and if you are interested of going.

Thanks

Gus V.:beer:
I live here in Loreto Baja Sur, please contact me to join the trip, im very intersted!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts