JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For about the last week, I have been hearing a creaking noise (similar to a horror movie door creak) in the front end; while slow steering, lock to lock, with Jeep not rolling. When rolling, all is quiet as long as I am not sharp turning at slow speed.

I am running the TeraFlex Steering Flip and Brace with no issues for about 2 years. Also have ******* Ram Hydro-assist and Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod.

Early yesterday morning I sprayed each area of the steering with silicon spray hoping to find/ quiet the creak; no luck.

Last night I was not able to pinpoint the creaking sound by ear. I did learn that the lower control arm links, at the axle were dry and have some play in the joints. Normal to see some play?? I stepped on the tie rod and the axle flexs back slightly; some of the creak sound could be heard. I dropped them and lubed the hell out of them. Shot silicon lube in the frame side mounts as well.

I tightened trackbar, brackets and all steering bolts; nothing was loose but I gave them all I had. No visible cracks or rust on any brackets. Tie rod ends have movement; they are shot. I have new ones ready to go on, just waiting for Daystar Tie Rod End Dust Boots to arrive this week.

Checked and sprayed the steering shaft at the firewall. I do have a hose clamp on it to prevent the slippage issue. No change in the creaking at all. Actually seems to be getting louder.

I jacked the front wheels off the ground and checked for top to bottom play. Driver side is tight; zero play. Passenger side has some slight movement.

Today I will give the shocks a few more turns with a wrench; praying that will make a change.

I am stumped.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Does it do it with the wheels off the ground? If so disconnect the tie rod and drag link and turn each wheel side to side, and then steering wheel. May help you you track it down.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, I didn't think to cycle the steering while the wheels were off the ground. Guess I was tired and frustrated, and searching for nearby cliffs on Google Maps.

I will try that today as well. Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Issue located. Took Jeep to Les Schwab today; wheelin buddy put it up on the rack for me.

The rod end on the drag link, at the pitman was the noise-maker. There is no zerk at that end. I poked a small hole in the boot and shot silicon spray inside. SILENCE :)

On another good note, everything in the front end is lubed and retorqued now. LOL

I'll change all three rod ends by next week.

Thanks again Phil

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've had good luck in the past by using a needle adapter on a grease gun and greasing joints through the boot when they don't have a grease fitting. Better yet you can drill and tap the cap and add a grease fitting.

I drilled and tapped the caps on the factory joints when I add them, rust colored water was the only thing in some of them.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will keep that in mind. The 3 new ones going on are Moog, with zerks, and the better dust boots. I think the end at the pit is actually the original. Not too bad for no lube, ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts