JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this mystery dent in my rear gate. It could be from my 35" spare on the OEM mount, but I have seen others spot welds breaking, not dents forming. Just want to see what everyone thinks. Spare or something else?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tailgate dent from a 35 doesn't look like that. That kinda looks like an impact dent:confused: What about the rest of the tail gate?
Rest of the gate, inside and out is fine.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Wow! I didn't get that but after 18 months of running with a 35 on the gate the spot welds on the inside (hinge side) started to fail. That's when I got a rear bumper with a swingout.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My dad's tailgate looks the same, he got it from coming off a ledge and the spare got pushed upwards.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My tailgate looks like that too, I removed my 34 of the gate after I saw it, not sure if the weight caused that or if I hit something or came off ledge and tweaked my tire carrier. I also notice my stock tire carrier was starting to crack by one of the studs. Decided it was time to take it off. I run iwth spare in back until I can afford Rockhard tire carrier and bumper. Other stuff keeps comoing up that is making that hard though such as bent tie rod.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
My dad's tailgate looks the same, he got it from coming off a ledge and the spare got pushed upwards.
X2 That's the reason that I usually see causing that kind of damage. Seen it quite a few times and it's usually front the spare hanging on a ledge or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts