JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited. At the 600 mile mark I noticed the front end on the passenger side was low.

On measuring top of wheel well to cement floor (through the axis of the front axle) driver side measured 36.5" while pass side measured 35.5". When I measured from the floor to the top if each mirror (vertically up from the rear contour (trailing edge) of the plastic fender, I got a difference of 11/16ths (45" driver side; 44-5/16ths pass side). I then measured the front end of the rock rails to the floor and got 17.5" pass side and 18.5" driver side. All measurements were taken with tire pressures all within 1lb of each other on a clean garage cement floor.

The dealer has now replaced shocks and springs on both sides of the frontend. It made no difference.

While this symptom could be cured by adding a 3/4" levelling kit spacer to just to passenger side it seems to me that would be curing the symptom but not the root cause of the problem. I suspect too that frontend geometry will be affected and have to be re-aligned. And I don't know if this will accelerate frontend parts wear. The vehicle handles well at present.

Any ideas welcome. Would sure like to fix this. My research on this and other forums shows some discussion but no real fix.......??? H-E-L-P please.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
Instead of replacing springs maybe you should have moved them from driver side to passenger side.

Or maybe Jeep was thinking ahead and said since there must be a driver at all times they compensated for the driver being in the driver seat. Sit in the driver seat then measure and see what you get.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You don't say how much fuel was in your tank at the time... fuel tank sits on the right side so I would expect more droop on the right side when more fuel is in the fuel tank... versus when less fuel is in the tank...

I only care about the driver side as that's the side I get in and out of.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front measurements seem to hold steady regardless of 1/4 tank of gas or full.
Weight when gas tank full is 133.606lbs: 100lbs less when at 1/4 tank.

I had not measured the rear wheel wells: they are 36.5" driver side; 36.0 passenger side.
Gas tank is full at the moment.

But the bottom line is that you don't see other JRU's with one side lower than the other. And once you know what to look for it is easy to see.
Really frustrating!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The front measurements seem to hold steady regardless of 1/4 tank of gas or full.
Weight when gas tank full is 133.606lbs: 100lbs less when at 1/4 tank.

I had not measured the rear wheel wells: they are 36.5" driver side; 36.0 passenger side.
Gas tank is full at the moment.

But the bottom line is that you don't see other JRU's with one side lower than the other. And once you know what to look for it is easy to see.
Really frustrating!
If possible swap up two to three part numbers front spring on that side. If you have lets say a 16 front spring you need a 18 or 19 front. If you already have 18 or 19 fronts you need to either put a 3/4" puck on that side or try new aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wonder if they set the weight on the tires at ride height and then fastened everything down. Possibly a "torsional" load with suspension nuts and bolts tightened at different cycles of the suspension?

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts