JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to add navigation (in dash) to my 2007 Rubicon. What is out there other than the high speed RER? Is there something with similar features for less money? How about installation? Im not very up on stereo mods so I really don't even know where to start my research. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Must have: Navigation (when moving), hands free calling, bluetooth, DVD, Sirius radio
Like to have: Traffic, iPod/iPhone, input for back up camera

Im sure Im missing something. Would like to stay under $1000.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? is it better? More features? How is the install? I have only ever done a standard CD player install.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also that is a bit more than Im looking to spend. I would like to keep it in the $1000 or less range. The myGig would be used if I went that route.

I added to my OP. I think more info was needed.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If I were spending MyGig kind of money, I'd have a Kenwood DNX9xxx
MyGig From the dealer = Around $1800
MyGig off Graigslist = Around $600 (look around, they come up pretty often, doesn't matter where it came from as long as its high speed)

MyGig looks great cause it fits like factory and I am very happy with it. Plus add the lockpick or allgig and really go to town.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can get the Kenwood for under $1k.

I have the MyGig in the '11 Grand Cherokee and it is worth $600, but that is about it. Don't forget to add $200 for the lockpick so you can actually use it while driving. After everything I've heard about the MyGig, I find it to be mediocre at best. It can't even begin to compare to the factory NAV/Sat/Radio/CD in the Infiniti we traded in.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else have options or opinions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I run a jensen in mine it's got Nav/DVD/Dual zone playing Sat radio ipod and rear camera, and it only cost 300 bucks who cares if it get stolen for 300 you can buy 3 for the price of the Kenwood/Pioneer brands.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, man... please link to where you bought this stuff. Model #'s too. I'll be all over that like white on rice!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Kenwood dnx6960
If you're looking for the easiest install then the MyGig is for you, as it's literally plug and play. For about $1000 (including your lockpick, ipod cable, etc) and one hour or so of your own time you can install it yourself.

I don't have any doubt that the Kenwood is a better headunit all the way around, but I wanted something that would work, give me all the features I wanted and be simple to install, that's why I went with the MyGig and I've been happy with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't necessarily want easy. I want cheap! I've heard a lot of good things about the Jensen double DIN Nav units. Oside5ka, which one did you get and where?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I find it laughable that anyone would think installing any Radio/Nav unit is difficult.

MyGig, plug n play
Aftermarket, buy the power/speaker adapters and it's plug n play.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm usually a big aftermarket head unit guy, but the RER is pretty damn good. I bought a 2010 lock-picked off of e-bay. The Kenwoods have good GPS but are too slow, and cartoony GUI, and the Pioneers are faster and have better GUI, but the GPS gets bad reviews. I love the bread crumb dropping feature of the MYGIG. I did replace my Infinity sub w/ 2 Pioneer Pro 10s and a MTX amp. The HD is pretty cool also...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another vote here for an RER. When I bought my JK in '08, I originally tried both the Pioneer AVIC and Kenwood DNX units and they were garbage. The Pioneer took 3 minutes to start up (1 after a software patch, but that was still bullshit) and the Kenwood's navigation never worked properly.

I'm sure both companies have much better units out today, but I'm still running the RER and have yet to encounter a situation where I wish I had an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had major problems with my Kenwood DNX6160. 7+ times in the shop because it kept over heating. Stereo shop talked to Kenwood directly and they said they are having problems with the unit's over heating in JKs because they sit on the heat ducts and IFO the defroster. They tried insulating mine from the heat using Dynamat and Dynamat hood insulation. they even installed a cooling fan which was loud and annoying. Nothing really helped. Kenwood suggested cutting the factory connectors and hard wiring it, claiming it would run 25% cooler. I ended up returning it and buying a mygig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For my money I'd look at the deals on crutchfield.com or go to your local best buy and try out some decks. Get a wiring adapter kit for your jeep (so you're not cutting the factory stuff), and get an adaptor faceplate made for your model jeep. Either place will help you get started. Look online for a video on how to get the dash apart, and have at it.

Aftermarket decks are hands-down better than factory because they are constantly revising and bringing in new features, not limited by the minimum 1 year cycle of cars.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Has anyone put a newer version my gig in place of the rer? I have the rer and fng hate it, I can't bring myself to spend the money to lockpick it when it's an 08 and needs to be updated for newer roads and such so I figured the newer versions would have the newer maps and supposedly work better with the iPod/iPhone which is the main reason of wanting to upgrade. I thought that the mygig would be a lot more user friendly and it's not. Or at least locked and non iPhone compatable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts