JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Twice in two weeks, WHILE ON A LONG TRIP, my MYGIG Navigation stopped navigating. What seemed to fix it was time spent off while parked for dinner.

Here's what happens: All weekend I used it a lot, like usual. And while on my way home using the NAV, all of a sudden (this time after stopping for ice cream, first time I think while driving but not sure), the NAV stopped telling me where to go. The map still worked. the NAV still knew where I was, but it wouldn't tell me direction.

I went into the programming menu and hit the RECALIBRATION button several times. Nothing.

Like I said, the only thing that corrected it after well over an hour, was turning it off for dinner. Oh, and I did stop, hit reset as stated, and even powered down the Jeep and radio a few times. nothing.

It seems to be calculating the trip over and over again too. It just never tells me the next turn.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and my dealer updated my 2009 unit about 6 weeks ago 9without asking).

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
disconnect the battery wait 10 miutes and reconnect.i've heard of the reset procedure in the engineering menu not working but the disconnect working. if that does not work, bring it back to your dealer and tell them it was working fine before they updated it (without your permission)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bring it back, should I pull the ALLGIG first? will they know it's in there?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I was having the same issues with mine (2008)

Brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the entire unit. They told me that they have been having some problems with alot of the Nav systems in all the Jeep/Chrysler products.
Since the new unit, no problems.....yet

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
When I bring it back, should I pull the ALLGIG first? will they know it's in there?
as much as i hate to say it, yes pull it. i brought mine in last year and when they hooked up to the puter it told them something about non stock something or other. no big deal as far as warranty, but their puter wont talk to the mygig through the allgig. try the battery disconnect first.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I was having the same issues with mine (2008)

Brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the entire unit. They told me that they have been having some problems with alot of the Nav systems in all the Jeep/Chrysler products.
Since the new unit, no problems.....yet
i've never had a problem with my mygig and know a few others who have never had problems.............knock on cheap plastic!:D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they flashed my MYGIG with the ALLGIG in there! Honestly, I was so pissed! It wiped my stored addresses, WHICH I JUST PUT IN THERE THE WEEK BEFORE! And it was working fine before they flashed it!

Very annoying!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OK similiar problem except mine doesn't know where it is. Thinks the Jeep is 100 miles away from where it is. How do you reset cannot find the engineering menu, couldn't find that in the manual. Dealer reflashed mine a few weeks ago without permission and now I have Issues..

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while in NAV view, hold MENU button on the right, then both the UP/DOWN seek buttons on the left. That brings you into the Engineering menu. I've been told to be very careful in here. Go down a few pages then you'll see CALIBRATION RESET or something like that. Then in there you can hit RESET.

That helped me when my NAV thought I was faacing the wrong way. I did this twice and it worked.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks Adam

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Adam is right. The engineering menu is nothing to make a mistake in. you can totally screw the operating system up if you do the wrong thing. if disconnecting the battery does not fix the navigation problem then check the antenna connection on the back of the mygig. if that doesn't work, you may need a new antenna.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Went into the NAV engineering screen set and for the 08 there is no calibration reset for the GPS, only for the touch screen. Went into the NAV / GPS info screen where it tells how many satalites its reading and co ordinates etc and it reads the proper Long and Lat there. Did a reflash so lets see if that works, if not I will disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
HAMMER......

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Found the GPS recal hidden in the Debug menu screen. All is well again.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the GPS recal hidden in the Debug menu screen. All is well again.
cool! Yes, I find that when you get to that menu, I have to hit page up or down a few times then it just pops up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Downloaded and updated to ver 2.042 and the latest Gracenotes GN1287.. Works like a charm now..

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so how does that work? you download to laptop, then via USB cable, uploade it to NAV?

·
Registered
900 Posts
my GPS died today probably from all the rain. it doesn't see any sats anymore, the arrow is in the middle of the water somewhere, probably in the ocean.

when you update the software u need to download and burn it to a cd/cvd

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
so how does that work? you download to laptop, then via USB cable, uploade it to NAV?
You can go here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2mnijzyomm for the MyGig RER_2.042 update.

Download to your computer from there then print out the burning and upload instructions from here. http://mofv.com/mygig/

from this mofv MyGig site you can also find the latest version of Gracenotes and the procedure for updating that as well.

Basically you will burn a disk, put it into your MyGig and it will load itself. Follow the instructions exactly so you don't have problems.

PS These updates come directly from Harmon Becker (the manufacturer of MyGig) so be sure to tell your dealer when you take it in for service to leave it alone or they will return it back to their latest version which is RER_9.713.

Here are the updates included in the 2.042 update:

Changes in 2.042

Phonebook download streamlined

GPS time improved

Navigation database updated

Alternate routes added

Stopovers improved

Voice recognition improved

VES in RER radios streamlined

Improved graphics

Better menu flow

·
Registered
521 Posts
when will they give us the ability to make playlists on the fly again?! it's my biggest peeve about the unit.

You can go here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2mnijzyomm for the MyGig RER_2.042 update.

Download to your computer from there then print out the burning and upload instructions from here. http://mofv.com/mygig/

from this mofv MyGig site you can also find the latest version of Gracenotes and the procedure for updating that as well.

Basically you will burn a disk, put it into your MyGig and it will load itself. Follow the instructions exactly so you don't have problems.

PS These updates come directly from Harmon Becker (the manufacturer of MyGig) so be sure to tell your dealer when you take it in for service to leave it alone or they will return it back to their latest version which is RER_9.713.

Here are the updates included in the 2.042 update:

Changes in 2.042

Phonebook download streamlined

GPS time improved

Navigation database updated

Alternate routes added

Stopovers improved

Voice recognition improved

VES in RER radios streamlined

Improved graphics

Better menu flow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts