JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have one and installed it. The instructions are pretty straight forward and takes about 30-60 min. I took my sweet time and it was about an hour. Mine was probably a bit easier since I didn't have factory gps (that was another step or two in the instructions). I don't know what mygig is since I obviously don't have it but my stereo protrudes out just a bit on the bottom. The images are accurate in that the cover has about .75" of depth to allow for knobs and such.

Once it's installed, it's pretty solid. Granted, there's a couple screws exposed on the side but to get to the stereo, they'll need about 4-5 min with power screwdriver. With a standard screwdriver it would be double that at least. Not many thieves would bother and it looks even more impenetrable than that anyway. For $100 I'm all for it. Love the piece of mind when I walk away with the doors off. Just make sure you line the top compartment with rubber shelf liner. That'll keep things from rattling or scratching sunglass frames, etc.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I have the mygig with nav in my 08. I've often thought about purchasing or fabricating something like that but and I get realistic. You put a locking device on there and it becomes obvious to the professional thief that something of value is in there. a good thief won't be carrying a screwdriver. he will have researched the mygig and will probably steal it and the housing using a sawsall and be out of your jeep in under 2 minutes. save your money for a better mod. if you're worried about rain, a piece of visqueen and some duct tape will work fine and it's probably more waterproof than quadratec's device. my .02 good luck.:beer:

·
Registered
411 Posts
well, i don't have one and can't answer any of your questions but i think i would get sick of unlocking my head unit every time i got in my jeep. the inconvenience would far outweigh the possible savings.

yes, it's a magnet for thieves..."oooo! i gotta have what's under there!" but most thieves will pick the easiest target. they don't want to dork around with that. if they want it bad enough, and are "good," they'll take the entire rig back to their shop and chop the whole thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the doors on my 09 but the tops off. I don't really go anywhere for longer than 30 minutes but I know that's long enough for someone to steal it. I love the mygig but hate the security factor. I'm still debating on whether or not to buy it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, let's not expect miracles. It's still connected to a plastic dash. In that thread he mentions he was parked at his office. I'd bet they already knew what was underneath, especially with the coincidence the stereo was new.

Later in that thread, a quote from the author/victim: "So i will not say, "Don't buy a Tuffy, it doesn't work..." in fact in retrospect and now that i have calmed a notch... I say rush out and buy a Tuffy, Flip-n-Lock, glove box or console"

I've been in law enforcement my entire life. I absolutely know that it won't stop some thieves. However, I also know it WILL stop some thieves. It might be a beacon to something valuable but it's better than leaving it exposed. I live in a pretty crappy city (due to work) and take my doors off often. I'm pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth. If I was that worried, I'd have an expensive alarm with proximity sensor, pager, etc, etc. Instead, I went with a $100 deterrent and a low deductible. Then again, I lock my factory console and glove box, too. Ha!! Ha!! At least the insurance company won't say I didn't try to secure my valuables.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Well, let's not expect miracles. It's still connected to a plastic dash. In that thread he mentions he was parked at his office. I'd bet they already knew what was underneath, especially with the coincidence the stereo was new.

Later in that thread, a quote from the author/victim: "So i will not say, "Don't buy a Tuffy, it doesn't work..." in fact in retrospect and now that i have calmed a notch... I say rush out and buy a Tuffy, Flip-n-Lock, glove box or console"

I've been in law enforcement my entire life. I absolutely know that it won't stop some thieves. However, I also know it WILL stop some thieves. It might be a beacon to something valuable but it's better than leaving it exposed. I live in a pretty crappy city (due to work) and take my doors off often. I'm pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth. If I was that worried, I'd have an expensive alarm with proximity sensor, pager, etc, etc. Instead, I went with a $100 deterrent and a low deductible. Then again, I lock my factory console and glove box, too. Ha!! Ha!! At least the insurance company won't say I didn't try to secure my valuables.

I agree 100% ...and have Tuffy products (good piece of mind) ...I think that thread is just good info all around. Thanks for wearing the uniform brother!! :beer::beer:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've got some Tuffy product... Stereo cover is one of them... I know it won't stop everyone... I know it will stop most. I guess that why we also have insurance.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Rebumping this old thread because I just got my MyGig installed yesterday and was thinking about getting one of these since I'm about to put the half doors on for a while.

I dunno... I think the locking/unlocking would get REALLY old, but I did have another idea, the sort of "hide it in plain sight" concept. I still have my factory radio, what if I just shave the face off of that, put a big visible crack in the LCD, and attach it to a frame to snap over the Mygig? Anyone walking by would see a broken, crappy factory radio. Could make it just a pop on/pop off thing and throw it in the glove box...?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rebumping this old thread because I just got my MyGig installed yesterday and was thinking about getting one of these since I'm about to put the half doors on for a while.

I dunno... I think the locking/unlocking would get REALLY old, but I did have another idea, the sort of "hide it in plain sight" concept. I still have my factory radio, what if I just shave the face off of that, put a big visible crack in the LCD, and attach it to a frame to snap over the Mygig? Anyone walking by would see a broken, crappy factory radio. Could make it just a pop on/pop off thing and throw it in the glove box...?
Haha… That would probably work great. It's a shame that we have to waste time thinking up stuff like this just to keep scumbags from taking stuff we actually work for.:pissed:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The one problem with this Tuffy unit is that it will block your Sirius satellite receiver! At least that's what a lot of people have complained about on the web... I called Tuffy and they of course denied it. I've had to learn about security the hard way! If someone wants it they're going to take it. It seems to me anyway the harder you make it for them, the more they fuck your shit up!!! So if you put one of these on be aware that they just might fuck your dash up that much more. I've learned just to put my money in insurance instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts