JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a rear-ended JK with the goal of making a pick-up. First big part arrived the other day, a modified Gr8top Recruit. End goal is to cut the body off behind the cab, stretch the frame a couple feet and put a flatbed and headache rack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Hell, that looks slick just the way it is. Make sure you start a build thread when you start hacking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shooting for 72-74" wide bed and something around 78" long. Wheelbase 120-125"

Passenger side is the good side, driver is not as pretty. No idea what happened, but it was hit on drivers rear above the bumper. Copart is a blast to shop.

GR8TOPS based it on a 4 door recruit. It's about 14.5" to the very back from behind the door. It is shorter than the 2 door recruit, and doesn't have freedom panels. Super great people to work with.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Definitely interesting! I hope you start a build thread on this project. You doing an aluminum flat bed like the folks in Oz?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More than likely I'll stick with steel, it handles abuse better and easier to patch up.

I play with a few old trucks, '47 Dodge COE and '51 Chevrolet COE. They have "short hoods"
I'm not worthy of a nice vintage Lincoln welder

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I was looking for your build thread the other day. I was going to ask for an update. Looks good and great job.
Looks good.
@shorthood
why did you remove your awesome build thread of this unique JK? I must have missed the reason but JKommuter reminded me to ask.

this truck turned out great!
All of those^ X2.

Nice job :beer: , wish your build details were still around for reference :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the final product.
@shorthood
why did you remove your awesome build thread of this unique JK? I must have missed the reason but JKommuter reminded me to ask.

this truck turned out great!
Didn't seem like much interest. Rather than abandon the incomplete thread I just deleted it. First time back here in close to a year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick synopsis.

'16 JK
stretched the wheelbase 26" and added 12" to the rear (122" wheelbase)
'05 TJ gas tank modified JK pump and sending unit with stock EVAP
-17 front coils with 1/2" spacer
-59 rear coils, 1" spacer, airlift 1000bags
Fox performance 2.0 ipf shocks all 4 corners
Replaced Trac-lok with Truetrac
Lots of sound deadener, and closed cell foam
Pioneer touchscreen, mistro module, fosgate components, backup camera
Marathon seat covers, cheap grab handles, dead pedal, tinted glass
Hella head lamps, windshield lights and work lights. Optronics brake and reverse lights
Stowmaster 5000 towbar
Homemade flatbed 74" wide 80" long
Front toolbox has a 4' drawer and a 20" drawer both full extension
Fuel filler in back of bed, with air bag filler, trailer light plug and towbar pocket
Inner fender liners made from 1/4" hdpe
Rear fenders are modified trailer fenders
Exhaust dumps in front of rear axle
Painted the color of a Ford 901 tractor, kind of a light "Gobi" less yellow and brown

Weighs 5200lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Nice! I was looking for your build thread a few weeks ago.... IIRC your last update was that your welder crapped out. I wish I had the skills to build what I need instead of adapting off the shelf parts. Incredible functionality!

After seeing this I’m not as enamored with the Gladiator.

(I may change my screen name..... after seeing this build, that blue buggy that wants to be a Jeep, the yellow turd, etc. I’m not so sure I’ve reblt anything)

Reactions: JKommuter

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Didn't seem like much interest. Rather than abandon the incomplete thread I just deleted it. First time back here in close to a year.

nah,don't mind interest or judge post worthiness on response; it's a bendy wonky gague for this corner of the interwebs .
Things wane & ebb & flow around here differently than in years past & when the JK/JKUs were the 'current model' ;

someday's we'll get lotsa posts & activity while others it's a graveyard. :ghost:

There remains a hardcore group of us which is pretty much always on & love project JKs, pics , builds (especially) , off-road carnage , when owners yank out the whole wiring harnesses of the model , gargoyles, boobs , bolt-on mockery and bacon.

I did remember your initial image of the little blue Willys w the top & then your paint job prior to the flatbed , but looking back thru it I was really wonderin' why it was pulled..thanks for reactivating & posting the progress images !
it's a lotta effort to get good build images while doin the work ; it's always appreciated & interesting .
I think this is very cool fab , great work & should be locatable for others that wanna do something similar to their JK.
J :smokin:

OP, I meant to add that I can even possibly reenable your Deleted build thread, but it's up to you .
I think I am able to do that but only if OP wants .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts