JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After busting several cb antennas while it was mounted inside the tag mount, I decided to relocate to a safer more functional spot. Moving my tag helped speed this relocation along.

I decided to mount the to the front bumper behind the stinger. This way it won't take too many hits on the base and also should have better performance do to not having to clear the roof. I was a little worried that I would look like one of those ham radio dudes, but I really like it.

What says you?

· Registered
955 Posts
I can't see the pics at work, but from your description I'd say you'll be directionally biased toward the rear. How is it on the highway?

· Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the highway, it's better than before, which was already very good. If needed, I'll throw a 4 foot antenna on instead of a three foot, but I don't think I'll need to. It's a couple of inches lower than the roof right now.

· Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like a good ground place. try switching to a steel antenna and you will not break any. thats what i did and havent broke since.
The problem is that any of them will break if you hit them at the base unless you run a spring and even then you can tear the whole thing off.

Here's the way it was before. Notice how vulnerable it is. Tree limbs rid the side of the Jeep and smack it. Also notice I don't have a fancy bumper yet. Granted, if it was tucked around behind the corner it would be better, but you still have to clear the roof more.

Many of my friends run antennas on the front like this. Most of them have XJ's, but they seem to work best there. I may put a 4 foot flexible k40 on the front like is in the picture above or even a stainless antenna like the one's below.

· Registered
8 Posts
pics are cool.i have Friends have them up front. ive got the license plate mount with a wilson 5000 (steel) antenna. been thru hell and back. havent broken yet.

· Registered
493 Posts
You guys have a whole CB antenna upfront club! :beer:

Do you have the same need to clear the top of the Jeep with a soft top?

Also I was thinking about mounting mine on the 3rd tail light behind the spare. I drew up some plans for a piece to sandwich the plastic between to help make it more rigid.

· Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have a whole CB antenna upfront club! :beer:

Do you have the same need to clear the top of the Jeep with a soft top?

Also I was thinking about mounting mine on the 3rd tail light behind the spare. I drew up some plans for a piece to sandwich the plastic between to help make it more rigid.
Yes, it should clear the top by about 6 to 12 inches with either top. Most of the time, you are riding in such close proximity with others, that you will be OK if it doesn't, but you want it to clear the roof for optimal performance. In the front I should have enough separation from the cabin, that I can run it a little lower. I'll probably still put a 4' antenna, which will extend about 9" over the top.

There are many ways to mount it to the tailgate or even the tire carrier. This works fine unless you run the hardtop and want to leave your back window open for the dog.

· Registered
630 Posts
i couldnt have an antenna in front of the jeep like that.... it owuld irritate me. but if it works for you :D:beer:

· Registered
909 Posts
Do you get more RF interference on your CB with the antenna mounted ahead of the engine?

Where did you run the coax cable?

I know it's vehicle/equipment dependent, but what SWR did you achieve?

· Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you get more RF interference on your CB with the antenna mounted ahead of the engine?

Where did you run the coax cable?

I know it's vehicle/equipment dependent, but what SWR did you achieve?
Actually no, I had motor noise when I had it mounted on the rear and grounded to the body. Now no motor noise at all with it tied into the frame. I routed the antenna wire through the firewall and down the extreme side of the hood on the driver's side.

I'm sure the winch will give it a jolt be mounted right next to the motor, but it does no matter what.

The SWR was 1.4 on channel 40 and 1.

You really don't notice the antenna after the first day of driving. I'm prolly gonna swapp to a 4 foot stainless whip which will be alot thinner. I can always just pop it off in a matter of seconds with the quick disco, but honestly it doesn't bug me at all. Just don't mount in directly in front of the headlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.