JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 4/30/2013
I updated pictures in post #12, painted the rockers.

Here's a recent picture of the JK at Blaise Canyon near Lake Martinez 11/10/2014. All mods are documented in this thread.

In the beginning, in a land far, far away....
Since my JK is so young, I figured it'd be best to start a thread now instead of down the road. It should be growing up pretty fast and I look forward to keeping a record of my progress in this thread! It'll be easy to use for reference, and might even aid people searching for pictures! Here we go...

:beer:

10/18/2011
2011 Green JKU Rubicon
Brand New! Purchased from Rancho Jeep in San Diego

10/23/2011
Wheel Spacers Added

11/20/2011
Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift
Smittybilt XRC Bumpers with Tire Carrier
Winch

Put my Wife to work too!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
reserved 2

2011-11-21
OR Fab Sport Cage Installed

11/24/2011
Rear Storage & Sleeping Area Prototyped and used the following weekend

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
reserved 3

12/1/2011
CB Installed

12/2/2011
Rock Lights Installed
4 Green Oznium High-Intensity LED Flood Lights

12/8/2011
Spider Web Shade & DIY back seat grab handles..

So I came across a spiderweb top on craigslist for cheap, never head of them but decided it might be just what I need for shade with the windshield down. Anyway I secured the front of the top to the OR Fab roll cage bar and to the back of the rear spreader bar. This way nothing connects to the windshield so when it's down I'll still have shade for my white ass.. I can easily put the hard top on over the spiderwebshade which I love. I pretty much intend to leave it on all the time :thumbs: Here's the pics..

I finally put the factory Jeep handles on the center spreader bars for the roll cage. For the back seat grab handles I used some old grips from elastic work out bands. Worked out great! Here's the pics...

Front Jeep handles

Back DIY handles

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
reserved 5

Update 01/17/2012

Last week was huge! I got the tent trailer shipped and my lift kit arrived the same day!

I built the trailer on Tuesday and I was able to install the lift with the help from a friend just in time to go enjoy both this weekend! I went to my firewood guy and loaded up the whole rear space of the trailer with logs. The trailer pulled just fine, had some very strong winds and didn't have an issue. My only issue is the hamster under my hood. Overall had an awesome weekend, I just need to tweak a couple things with the lift.

For reference, my lift is a RK 3.5" X-Factor mid arm, Smittybilt rear bumper and I'm using a 6" drop receiver hitch.

The Jeep lifted and hooked up to the trailer..

Update 1/31/2012

New ECU and Diablo Sport Predator tuner from RPMExtreme!
As we all know until recently there hasn't been an option to tune 2011 JK's. I decided to try out the replacement ECU and Tuner from Jon at RPMExtreme. I asked a ton of questions in his vendor's market place thread found here...
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68022

The install was very easy, here's picture details.

- Disconnect the battery..
- Locate the factory ECU, remove the 4 harnesses and then the three bolts holding the ECU in place.
- Install new ECU, don't forget the ground wire located on the top inside screw for the ECU
- Connect color coded wires.
- Connect battery. DONE!

Color Coded Plugs..

New ECU

Reinstall in reverse order.

Now the good stuff!

I installed the 91 Octane performance tune because that's our premium here in San Diego. What a difference! The Jeep doesn't slow down when it shifts into overdrive anymore! The overall driveability is drastically improved. I haven't played with the tunes at all yet. Just plugged in that one and drove off!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
reserved 6

**Update 2/1/2012**

Installed Nemesis Industries front shock relocation brackets.

The install went pretty smooth, I sprayed some black rust protection paint on the axle in a couple places that were showing signs of wear after my last trip to big bear and a couple trail runs. My axle is a little bit forward of where it needs to be so I don't have a perfect perpendicular setup. I'm not too concerned about it though, maybe I'll fix it when I pull my rear axle forward a little bit too. Either way my biggest concern is taken care of, which was the shock hitting the frame rails when the suspension droops, there should be plenty of room in between the shock and the frame now. Hopefully I'll be able to test it out this weekend to be certain but it looks really good! Here's the pics..

Drivers Side Stock..

Drivers Side Installed..

Passenger Side Installed..

Looks like we decided on our wheel colors when they arrive. I can't wait to start painting them. The rock rings will be green and the centers will be black.

I also completely disabled the stability program, took me a couple tries but it looks like it worked out! Here's the instructions I followed.

instructions:
1: Shift transfer case into the 4h position
2: Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead
3: Cycle the Ignition key off to on
4: Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check
5: Turn and hold the steering wheel one half turn to the right(clockwise)
6: press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds(i believe a chime sounds)
7: Turn the steering wheel back center, and turn and hold an additional one half turn to the left(counter clockwise)
8: Press and hold the ESP OFF for seven seconds
9: turn the steering wheel back to center
10: Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds
11: Cycle the ignition key to off

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, ESP OFF will be displayed in the odometer for app. 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operations

***Update 02-09-2012
Off Road Evo Rock Star Rear Control Arm Skids/Shock Relocation
Ordered from Dave at Northridge yesterday afternoon 3:30 ish, and they arrived before noon today! Shipped from right up the road at EVO, but damn talk about fast! The install was much more tedious than I had anticipated but I am happy with the way they turned out! Even my wife was asking why it took so long for something that appears to be pretty straight forward. I'm an amateur I suppose. Anyway here's the pics... (I'll add some more pics later, It's sleepy time)

Doing work..

All done!

**** 2/16/2012
Front C Gussets

Front Control Arm Skids

Rear track bar bracket welded in

Trail Worthy Fab recentered H1 wheels with Wicked rock rings and Grooved BFG Baja 37's!

Future plans... (if you've got any of this for sale, or suggestions PM me)

Current inbound mods...
**Front Axle "C" Gussets getting installed Friday!
**Front Control Arm Skids getting installed Friday!
**Dual beadlock's and Grooved BFG Baja 37's from Trail Worthy Fab - (Picked up for shipping today!)
**River Raider Complete Skid System with EVAP Skid - (Scheduled to ship early next week)
**Dana 44 Front and Rear Diff Covers from SOLID - (Scheduled to arrive Tuesday)
**Lube Lockers for new Diff Covers - (Scheduled to ship early next week)
**Nth Degree Rear Diff Slider - (Scheduled to ship early next week)

Still need to buy.. (This list if finally getting smaller!)
Gears 5.38's
Teraflex Mud Flaps
Steering upgrade
12k winch
EZ-Rack with Rotax/hi-lift/shovel/axe
Trail Mods Removable Fender Flares
Flood lights for front & rear
:beer:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
reserved 7

Update 2-22-2-12

Installed a Fire extinguisher.

Finally carpeted (the top) and painted (the inside) rear storage solution I created. I think it turned out really well, haven't seen in the daylight yet though.

Also started painting the RROR skid system.

**Update 2-29-2012 Leap year!**
Been a extremely busy wrenching this past week!!

River Raider Skids installed..

River Raider EVAP Skid..

Front and Rear Diff Covers..

AEV Rear Slider..

***UPDATE CONTINUED ON POST #9***

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i very much love your storage idea.
It worked out very well, in fact when we run the Rubicon trail this summer we plan to put the platform back in the rig. After that trip in the pictures I left in the wood that's behind the back seats but took out the rest and put the front seats in. It's so incredibly handy to have that separation and storage compartments back there, I can fit much more than I could without for sure!

***CONTINUED UPDATE FROM POST #6***

Leap Year update Continued!!

Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket..

High Lift Jack Mount..

Dominion Off Road OBA kit..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
4/18/2012 added Trail Mods Removable Fender Flares

8/8/2012
Damn it's been a long time since I've been able to update this thread but that day has come!!

Finally got the 5.38's installed! I had the work done at a buddies friend's shop. Guy's name is Nick, and he owns S.C.A.R. Off Road in East County San Diego. If you're local and looking to have something done look him up or get a hold of me!

Can't really post a picture this time!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
awesome build!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
awesome build!!!!!
Thanks bud! :beer:

***8/8/2012***
Damn it's been a long time since I've been able to update this thread but that day has come!!

Finally got the 5.38's installed! I had the work done at a buddies friend's shop. Guy's name is Nick, and he owns S.C.A.R. Off Road in East County San Diego. If you're local and looking to have something done look him up or get a hold of me!

***Updated 9/16/2012***
Went to Dr. Dirty's shop and got a bunch of things done, and started my list for the next round of upgrades

New drag link, tie rod, and steering stabilizer mount

Tom Woods Drive shafts

Transmission cooler from PSC

*** Update 9/21/2012***
Back to Dr. Dirty's shop

New rear spring perches rotated slightly forward

Tubing to use in conjunction with bump stops for the rear

Added 3" bumpstops from Rokmen, flipped the drag link and added Synergy track bar bracket with weld washers at upper and lower mounts.

3/21/2013
Finally got around to painting the rocker section to prevent rust where some trail damage happened, touched up the rockers while I was there.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
How do you like your cage? i am thinking about one and like getting feedback!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nice rig. Good order of doing things and nice to see your wife can wrench. I like those flat top cargo/pop up trailers.

When it comes to my cage I'll probably get the OR Fab one and the weld in Poly rear.

-Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice rig. Good order of doing things and nice to see your wife can wrench. I like those flat top cargo/pop up trailers.

When it comes to my cage I'll probably get the OR Fab one and the weld in Poly rear.

-Dan
Thanks! The Lifetime Tent Trailer was awesome last weekend, we used it for the first time! We intend to use it frequently! The wife likes to wrench when she can.

That is really looking good!
Thanks! :beer:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.