JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with yes I did search the forum and have been reading all day on various forums and this sounds like it has happened to many...

So I was driving down a straight, dry, road about a mile from the house and all of a sudden my traction control light started to blink rapidly and the Jeep was braking by itself and tried to force me into on coming traffic. Scared me because I had no control. I oulled off the road as soon as I could, turned the Jeep back on and no problem since. Now after reading all day it sounds like this will happen again. Nothing changed from driving yesterday to today. Didn't hit anything. Steering wheel is straight.

My question is when I take it to the stealership this weekend what should I have them check or repair to keep this from happening again?

Should I just pull the fuse J6 until I take it in Saturday so it doesn't happen again???

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Check to make sure that your wires on the sensors are not shorting out.

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
Like gunny said.

Also check the sensor to make sure it is tight and clean.

If you are still having trouble, check the alignment. That has happened multiple times when I am on the edge of out of alignment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get under and check the sensors. For now I just pulled the fuse that controls the ESP.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Disable it, ESP is for retards that can't handle a vehicle anyway. I'm roughly 10" over stock and ~6" wider...the factory calibrations for "saving my life" are far from accurate as it is. I've had mine off since I had 1000miles on it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've turned mine permanently off after installing my the Detroit Locker in the rear.

Made a hug difference in Rear Brake pad wear. I had to replace my rear brake pads twice in the first 30K miles. I am now at 50K with no ESP and there is still another 20K of pad left.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
OP has a 2007. He may be one of the unfortunate ones like myself that cannot disable it with the steering wheel dance unless we go to the dealer for a computer flash (which they will charge you for).

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
OP has a 2007. He may be one of the unfortunate ones like myself that cannot disable it with the steering wheel dance unless we go to the dealer for a computer flash (which they will charge you for).
Definitely worth the switch/cut wire disable.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I wonder......

My ESP only fires in corners, really.... usually when I think it picks up too much body roll.

Isn't there an accelerometer in the center consol? Has anyone removed it and measured its steady state internal resistance? Add an equivalent resistor and now the wheel slip function is still present, but body roll removed?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I wonder......

My ESP only fires in corners, really.... usually when I think it picks up too much body roll.

Isn't there an accelerometer in the center consol? Has anyone removed it and measured its steady state internal resistance? Add an equivalent resistor and now the wheel slip function is still present, but body roll removed?
I haven't bothered with it or seen anything to that nature, but I would imagine you could. Some adequate testing and analysis would need to be done if you're going to rely on it after that. I don't care for the wheel slip function either though. I've dropped the clutch crossing traffic that I misjudged...to go..NOW, the wheels spun; Jeep tried to save my life by cutting throttle as I coasted across 70mph traffic. Soccer moms can keep that feature.

..No thanks.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I haven't bothered with it or seen anything to that nature, but I would imagine you could. Some adequate testing and analysis would need to be done if you're going to rely on it after that. I don't care for the wheel slip function either though. I've dropped the clutch crossing traffic that I misjudged...to go..NOW, the wheels spun; Jeep tried to save my life by cutting throttle as I coasted across 70mph traffic.

..No thanks.
Valid point. I just wish the damn steering wheel trick would work without going to the dealer. I hate unnescesarily cutting wires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct I have a 2007. And he is a She btw... I have an appointment for Saturday at the stealership and I will have the computer re flashed at that time. There is a TSB out there for my model that covers the Re Flashing.

I will say I sure miss my YJ. It was much simpler and none of these stupid computer problems that my JK has had.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Correct I have a 2007. And he is a She btw....
My apologies! :suicide:

I have an appointment for Saturday at the stealership and I will have the computer re flashed at that time. There is a TSB out there for my model that covers the Re Flashing.

I will say I sure miss my YJ. It was much simpler and none of these stupid computer problems that my JK has had.
You make a good point. I did look and there is a TWB. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to screw me.... wouldn't be surprised. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Definitely worth the switch/cut wire disable.
This ^^^^^

I shut it off on my '09 a couple years ago using the steering wheel hokey-pokey and have never missed it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This ^^^^^

I shut it off on my '09 a couple years ago using the steering wheel hokey-pokey and have never missed it.
Just a quick question...when you did this, does the esp/bas light stay on then?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've rarely had the ESC/ESP go off, but the last time I was on a partially covered snow road, the ESC triggered and kicked the rear end of the vehicle around. I was going slow so nothing happened, but if I had some speed, it probably would've put me into the tree.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My apologies! :suicide:

You make a good point. I did look and there is a TWB. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to screw me.... wouldn't be surprised. Let me know how it turns out.
Understand that a TSB is a possible solution, not a covered service unless the vehicle still has warranty coverage. The dealer can charge for flashing if you do not have coverage. It amazes me to hear people say the dealer is ripping them off. The service tech needs to get paid for what they do. How many of you go to work for free?

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Understand that a TSB is a possible solution, not a covered service unless the vehicle still has warranty coverage. The dealer can charge for flashing if you do not have coverage. It amazes me to hear people say the dealer is ripping them off. The service tech needs to get paid for what they do. How many of you go to work for free?
Understood. I did not know TSB's were not covered if out of warranty. I normally don't feel dealer's rip me off, at least the one I use to go to. Chrysler recently closed that dealer, leaving me with only one local option that have been known to overcharge (when compared to the dealer I normally went to) and do shotty work. Which is why I havne't been there in years....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts