JKOwners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
As has been mentioned, the Aeroforce gauge can program things like TPMS, axle ratio, sway bar, turn off ESP, transfer case ratio etc., and give you a gauge that will display trans temp, oil press, oil temp, boost, knock, etc.

Todd
Thanks. I can see why it was important for you to call that out but nobody is looking for a gauge here. Can it load a tune? Can it displace one of the other tuner tools mentioned here?

In fact, my goal is to have no gauges. Once the vehicle is setup, the trinity (with all of its built in gauges) comes out.

The price on your unit was buried and not visible until sticking it the cart - it is a lot more than an AEV ProCal too.

·
Vendor
35 Posts
I quoted you as saying "you'll need a Procal either way", after stating your disappointment in the SCT device. I was suggesting an alternative that is very comparably priced yet offers 10x the functionality. Sorry, note to self not to offer sugestions to you any more. Was not aware you didn't want any gauges, personally I want to know what's going on in my vehicle after I've modified it, but to each his own.

Thanks. I can see why it was important for you to call that out but nobody is looking for a gauge here. Can it load a tune? Can it displace one of the other tuner tools mentioned here?

In fact, my goal is to have no gauges. Once the vehicle is setup, the trinity (with all of its built in gauges) comes out.

The price on your unit was buried and not visible until sticking it the cart - it is a lot more than an AEV ProCal too.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I quoted you as saying "you'll need a Procal either way", after stating your disappointment in the SCT device. I was suggesting an alternative that is very comparably priced yet offers 10x the functionality. Sorry, note to self not to offer sugestions to you any more. Was not aware you didn't want any gauges, personally I want to know what's going on in my vehicle after I've modified it, but to each his own.
dear aerofoce sales and marketing. thanks for suggesting the device. it is great to know that there is an alternative to the procal. at the same time it offers a superset of the features being sought and at a significantly higher price.

It also lacks other required features that were mentioned here that would make it much more useful, such as an ability to load a tune as well as data log. And sorry if I missed that your device can datalog without requiring another device to do the actual logging.

For me personally, the only reason to get the Edelbrock kit that includes the SCT tuner is to get the tune file that edelbrock uses as well as that California EO number and sticker that we are going to need come smog check time. The SCT is presently unmarried and back in its original box. It has served its purpose.

Aside from the TPMS threshold bug/regression, the trinity is really the only single device that does everything. If DS would just fix that one big, then the trinity would be perfect.

gauges are an entirely different topic and if you want to start a new thread of your own to debate that, I definitely have some opinions and do think your product is cool - just not for me on this project.

·
Registered
364 Posts
dang.... scratch that. fix did not work for the TPMS. Oh well. It looked like it did and it looked like it took the setting. The setting was even persistent when I checked but the light still comes on and shows "-36" even though it was set to 22.
I gave up on Diablo's shitty support and bought an AEV Procal to handle the quick adjustment settings. Simple but works. Hate to spend the extra money but oh well. Talked to Johan before doing so and he recommended it also.

dear aerofoce sales and marketing. thanks for suggesting the device. it is great to know that there is an alternative to the procal. at the same time it offers a superset of the features being sought and at a significantly higher price.

gauges are an entirely different topic and if you want to start a new thread of your own to debate that, I definitely have some opinions and do think your product is cool - just not for me on this project.
Love the response and agree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've done FI before so feel that I know what to expect. It is susceptible to the effects of heat soak and being in vegas, I can see heat being an issue. I got used to the power at first too on my other car and did go for the upgraded pulley from 6psi to 8psi on that one as well but it was an OBDI car and didn't have as good of a tune.

My jeep is a manual transmission with 5.13 gears and ran well as NA with a custom tune from Diablotoona/Johan. I would say that is responsive and peppy now and expect the blower to build on that once a tune is thrown on it.

Are you necessarily implying that the heat issue is from the SC? May I suggest that the system could also be plugged internally or externally? My radiator was caked with mud on the condenser side (hidden). I cleaned off the radiator while it was out the other day and the amount of mud that I flushed out of the fins was simply amazing. most of it washed down the drain in the yard but there is still a bunch of mud caked everywhere where I washed it off. There was a layer of mud on the bottom of the radiator overflow as well. not sure how it all worked up there but it did.

The other potential heat issue that I would float out there is a possible mix of OAT with HOAT coolant where it is causing coagulation and build up inside the system.

with the edelbrock, I don't see myself changing the pulley. it already looks to be a tight fit. I will film it a little more again later. there is also a do not remove sticker on it. LOL. WHen I asked on the phone, edelbrock said that there are no pulley upgrades.

As already mentioned, I do plan on a custom tune after funning for a brief period on the canned tune.

If it still does not run right for me, I might play with running a water injection system using a non-flammable 50/50 water/meth mix. I wanted to do that on my last FI car but never got around to it. Not yet sure I will go there since this is a jeep. It might be a good idea in vegas to do it. it will bring your combustion temps down and if you get a tune that has been adjusted for water /meth injection, I think you can get about another 20hp from both of the items combined. I read a lot about it and had some plans mocked up for a DIY kit. There are several good water injection kits out there. I think Punisher has one and aquamist is another well known kit. The Buick GN guys do a lot of water/meth injection and there are several cheap/DIY injection plans out on their bulletin boards.

edit:
I don't know if it is just my imagination and I have never taken the time to prove it but it seems that the typical single digit PSI blower will make about 80-100HP on a car regardless of engine size or style. In other words, in a small car like a Miata you might nearly double the HP whereas on V8 car, it is more of an incremental upgrade. Looking at some of the other blower its for the V8 cars, they seem to be netting the about the same HP gains at the wheels as we do with the smaller motors.
Back in the 80s Edelbrock used to market a water injection unit called Verajection. Maybe they have something still available. Coincidentally, I still have one of those units that I never got around to installing on my 78 IH Scout..

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I hit 60 in 3rd gear. I wound out 1st and 2nd.

My BMW is geared perfect (lowered but still tall enough - thanks to dinan) to hit 60 right at the top of the engine rpm band and peak hp without having to shift to third.

Mr JeepLab guy observed/posted 7.49sec and 7.68sec for the Magnusson and RIPP kits respectively.

He is on stock gearing and tires and on the east coast. I am on 37's with 5.13s and on the west coast.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hit 60 in 3rd gear. I wound out 1st and 2nd.

My BMW is geared perfect (lowered but still tall enough - thanks to dinan) to hit 60 right at the top of the engine rpm band and peak hp without having to shift to third.

Mr JeepLab guy observed/posted 7.49sec and 7.68sec for the Magnusson and RIPP kits respectively.

He is on stock gearing and tires and on the east coast. I am on 37's with 5.13s and on the west coast.
yeah that is why i asked, he did post a video of it under 6 but he did it in 2nd gear with a small lift, duratracs, and 4.10 gears. i wouldn't purchase it for the 0-60 time obviously, mainly curious.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
yeah that is why i asked, he did post a video of it under 6 but he did it in 2nd gear with a small lift, duratracs, and 4.10 gears.
Yeah, shifting costs time when calculating 0-6 times etc.

I am thinking that swinging that lever from 2nd to 3rd takes close to a second in a jeep.

supposedly anything over 600ms is considered slow. A modern sports car can probably shift faster than an older computer hard drive (spinning disk, not SSD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah, shifting costs time when calculating 0-6 times etc.

I am thinking that swinging that lever from 2nd to 3rd takes close to a second in a jeep.

supposedly anything over 600ms is considered slow. A modern sports car can probably shift faster than an older computer hard drive (spinning disk, not SSD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time
Are you granny shifting and not double clutching like you should??

Haha, one of my favorite movie lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
White13JKUR said:
Mrjosh: a custom tune might give you a little more wow factor.
I will definitely be doing a custom tune soon since I finally got my heat issue solved. Hopefully my results will be similar to yours. :th_pray:

·
Registered
288 Posts
so White13JKUR, after all is said and done (not saying you are done), would you recommend it as a good upgrade for people with 37s + wanting to keep up with traffic? consider cost and time?

i know rebel offroad just finished a build with an edelbrock SC, wonder how they tuned it. do you think its going to become more common?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
so White13JKUR, after all is said and done (not saying you are done), would you recommend it as a good upgrade for people with 37s + wanting to keep up with traffic? consider cost and time?

i know rebel offroad just finished a build with an edelbrock SC, wonder how they tuned it. do you think its going to become more common?
Yes. And I would do the gears too. 5.13s for me was perfect for NA and it is still a good choice for FI.

With the all the great kits available, I can see how FI will be more common. A lot of it has to do with availability of quality hardware.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I'm just starting my Edelbrock Supercharger install on my 2014 JKU and your post is perfect timing. I'm more of a bolt on and drive kind of guy but it was awesome to get real world info from you before I bought it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
is it plausible to sort of piggy back on what you have learned about the tunes and get the same one?

i think the biggest unknown for me is not the actual physical install, but getting tuned correctly. im a network engineer/sys admin/jack of all trades manager and being at the mercy of what seems like very unsupported software is a bit nervous. keep in mind, i come from a background where this stuff would be shared and posted hundreds of times by very competent people until it was perfect. not saying it hasn't here but its just a different community.

when i go to order it, i plan to just rent a car for a few days and take some time off to get the install completed.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Pulley size and a plug for Northridge!

I never commented on where I purchased the kit from. Of course, it was Northridge. Great service fast shipping and lowest acquisition cost for me. I heard that someone over there has the Edelbrock kit as well. I think it was the janitor or something.

Finally, I got around to measuring the pulley. Measured at the top of the belt ribs, the pulley is 65mm. Again, max PSI that I have seen is 8.5PSI near redline in 4th gear

For reference, in this post, The_Punisher, documented the pulley sizes that he has installed onto his Maggie’s snout – 63, 66 & 72.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3019066&postcount=101

Here are some pics. Sorry, I was holding a heavy DSLR with one hand and the NSK with the other. Measurements shown in the pics are not perfect.

The top of the pulley rips measured 65mm

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll verify measurement on the Maggie when I head to the shop tomorrow. I'm putting the 8lb pulley on out the gate. They're getting it put on this week. Normally I'd do it myself but they're fixing up some other items for me as well.

41 - 60 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.