JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be some work but for $275 I think it was worth it. I am not so sure about the tailgate thing they made but it will be a good project for the hubby and I. These M416s are expensive around here ($750-$1200) but this guy said it was a homemade trailer :shaking:. It came with the pintle hitch so we towed it home with the F350 which looked pretty funny.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Great start!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great find! Great price!

Count me in as jealous

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
100dollarman might have a tailgate laying around out there in Cali.
416's never had a tailgate, someone just hacked the ass end out of it :(
416's were meant to float during water crossings so they were sealed up with drain valves in the floor.

the best looking tailgate conversions are usually when they cut a piece out and add in a willys tailgate.

that one needs a sheet of steel welded back in then a cutout for a tailgate made
all of the back cut out like that would waken the heck out of the sides.

buy dayum! $275 is a steal! - nice score!

there are several M101's on thiefslist close to here for $300 - must resist urge to buy another military trailer!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
416's never had a tailgate, someone just hacked the ass end out of it :(
416's were meant to float during water crossings so they were sealed up with drain valves in the floor.

the best looking tailgate conversions are usually when they cut a piece out and add in a willys tailgate.

that one needs a sheet of steel welded back in then a cutout for a tailgate made
all of the back cut out like that would waken the heck out of the sides.

buy dayum! $275 is a steal! - nice score!

there are several M101's on thiefslist close to here for $300 - must resist urge to buy another military trailer!
Yeah we will have to fab up a frame for the tailgate and that is the reason I only paid $275. He hadn't put a pic of the back on the listing and when I got there to see it I was a bit upset. So I told him $275 was all I would pay. great thing is the bottom underneath is perfect and has all parts to the parking brake that works! Fabbing up the rear will be the hardest part besides the sandblasting. You should buy an M101 for $300 - you could always sell it on here. :D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
a working parking brake and unmolested lunette setup are definitely big bonuses!

I just did a springover on my 416 a few months ago.

Honestly, I would probably be all over M101s for [email protected] for resale if they were a bit closer, but theyre in college station which is about a 4 hour drive from here.

the guy has bare trailers for 300, with side boards for 325 and side boards and bows for 350

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just did a springover on my 416 a few months ago.
Is there a big benefit to this if we don't really plan on any serious trails with the trailer? Is the ride better? Other reasons?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Is there a big benefit to this if we don't really plan on any serious trails with the trailer? Is the ride better? Other reasons?
mostly to get the trailer up closer to the height of the jeep so you don't have to use a major drop hitch to reach it - keep departure angles a lot better with the trailer hooked up.

plus it looks better for the trailer to be up at the same height as the Jeep.

and it's pretty much free :)

only parts I had to add when I did mine was some 4" wide, 1/4" plate to extend the landing leg and some leftover 2WD F-150 front bumpstops for the trailer axle.

I have some pics of the bump stop setup and stuff if you wanna see how it works

·
Registered
931 Posts
Lucky!!! That is a he'll of a deal you got on the trailer. Definatley an awesome project, can't wait till I cam get one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great buy!!! Here's my American Bantam T-C3, I love it! Way better than a roof rack!

The military version can carry more weight. Mine doesn't even have shock! You also got a hand brake!!! For $25 less than the $300 I paid for mine in San Diego! Good luck with your build, and if you have original "combat rims" you can sell them for a pretty penny to collectors.

Here are the primered combat wheels from my trailer, they pretty much fell apart when I took them apart. My trailer is built 1946 and I don't think the rims where properly maintained. Lots of rust. Sorry so long but good luck!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mostly to get the trailer up closer to the height of the jeep so you don't have to use a major drop hitch to reach it - keep departure angles a lot better with the trailer hooked up.

plus it looks better for the trailer to be up at the same height as the Jeep.

and it's pretty much free :)
Well since my Jeep is not lifted we will have to see if I even need to do that. :innocent:

I like your trailer and also the idea of the spare. We were going to build a trailer from scratch but this one will work.

@cardenas - I like your trailer and your tailgate!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts