JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here fellas (ladies too). I set up a Cobra 75 about 2 years ago and recently started noticing communication problems while out on the trail. I decided to start checking the resistance of ground wire, antenna, and coax with my meter. Everything checked ok but my SWR readings were off the chart. This same setup was dialed into a 1.4 across the board before. I decided to completely redo my bracket ground and I have SWR readings that bounce all over the place. When the mic is keyed I read somewhere around 1.5 to 1.7 on all channels but the needle will go up to 10 and then settle back down. Could this be a coax issue? Did two years of opening and closing the tailgate cause something to break here? I have a Teraflex bracket (powder coat removed for grounding) and my ground is mounted to the tub on bare metal. I have been through everything twice (including the troubleshooting sections at Right Channel Radios and Firestik) to check for corrosion and my only thought is that the antenna or coax are the cause. Any ideas and no I didn't test in the garage or anything stupid like that. Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
It "settling down" is a bit concerning, I would lean toward that being an internal problem with the radio.

However the first thing I would do is swap antennas with someone and check it. I got some haywire stuff going on when my 1 month old Wilson "super flex" bit the dust..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should say Wilson cause that is what I am running, a Wilson flex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts