JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My $30 panel guards, I'm too cheap at this moment with some nasty wheeling coming up to put out for the poison spyder or other corner guards. (Would love to but can't justify with other mods needed ie hydro assist, bead locks etc)

Grabbed some steel to do side armor to avoid any more damage from laying it over on the canyons and rocks. Going to weld tubes from front to back angled a little up the length of the plates and off them an inch or 2. That way it hits the rocks before the plate does as well as grabbed some aluminum for the door skins for the smittybilt tube doors.

All this to stop this lol

Did my door skins on the smittybilt tube doors, don't need to look through them they are cut so low I can see where my jeeps at on the rocks.

Plus it'll help keep a bit more junk out.

Here's a shot before the skins , I can always pull rivets but wanted half doors to begin with but not at the half door price. I'm going to rhino line or sound deaden the aluminum this week...

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
I don't know how all of that is gonna keep that kid from stealing your license plate again, but best of luck.

Looks awesome. :beer:

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Badass thanks for sharing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how all of that is gonna keep that kid from stealing your license plate again, but best of luck.

Looks awesome. :beer:
I usually tape a vegetable on top of it, keeps him away...

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Looks good, I'm considering having some corners cut like that. I'm not sure how concerned I am with it fitting around the corner of the Jeep or not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good, I'm considering having some corners cut like that. I'm not sure how concerned I am with it fitting around the corner of the Jeep or not.
I went through that and thought about using a buddies brake and bending it around...I've crushed sides and havent got the rear, the bumper covers that.
With tube sliders on the panels it will keep me off the walls and rocks, my brake lights most likely will get clipped again and my lic. Is getting relocated to spare tire.

I know it adds strength so does a tube running front to rear on the piece as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kind of like OR Fabs skins?

That's exactly what I'm doing there, the tube I mentioned running the length of the plates at an angle (so to not instruct gas filler on other side) is like that. Biglow has a set on his and it looked to fit the bill...

I just don't have the drive to bend and do a lot of fab work right now I wanted effective get the job done simplistic. It can be replaced if I decide to change out later but this is quick/cheap/simple and will work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those turned out great. You could try and do something like Metal Cloak did if you find you wanted the added protection on the rear.
I like how they did the fender on that I saw how it went to lower rocker and took. A minute to see the studs sticking out....

I'd do bumpers but I pull mine off when wheeling hard anywase, or let the plastic get hammered. Cheap and I'll let the welded plate be the sacraficed surface.

Will go a route like that at some point for now my moneys on bead locks and hydro assist...:bounce:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,088 Posts

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Nutserts? If so where did you get them?
I've ordered nutserts from ZoroTools [cheaper, lots of coupon codes available], or Fastenal [$$]. I've got a 200 or so in varying sizes. Be sure to get knurled inserts and the proper clamping material thickness [sheet metal or plate]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Looks good. What thickness plate did you use for the skins?
It was betwen 10g or 3/16 I opted 10g because I'm welding a tube onto it which will add strength, now if it were my old 7u race truck I'd have gone 1/8" - 1/4" and tubed it. Speed impacts are ALOT harder on stuff then slow roll overs or leaning into rocks and sides of crevass.

I used aluminum nutserts there's enough there to strengthen it and the holes are tight enough that they were tight getting into to the holes...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
nice work.

I plan on doing something similar, but thinking I will start with AEV Corners and add sheet steel to it to cover the rest of the sides.
That's not a bad idea I'd have done that but I am putting $ into some other parts for the summer runs...match the steel, weld it together grind it flush and rhino line... smittybilt corners would be great as well.

These are
Cheap
Effective
Easy to do
Lighter (A lot) than the other oferrings our jeeps weigh a bunch already
And I can modify later should I want to.

This is simple cheap I don't have to fabricate beyond basics and is completely effective.

I use plastic fenders because the keep the spray down and cops off my butt, I'll weld a tube the length of the plate which will be my first impact point. Fender comes off and I have very little added weight ...
Part of the reason for the tube doors get it light to crawl...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts