JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 CJ7 Renegade

Here is a shot of my 84 CJ. My wife's uncle bought it new and sold it to a buddy of mine back in 2006. My buddy ordered a garage full of parts but never got it going. I ended up buying it from him in 2007 in pieces so I could build a Jeep for my wife to drive on nice days. Well in 2008 we found out we were having a baby so this thing sat for the better part of 5 years on Jack stands in my garage at home.

So about a month or so ago I got the itch and I decided I needed to get this thing going so I got it to a point that I could get it rolling and got it moved up to the shop where I hope to finish it this Winter.

I'll try and update this thread as I make progress. I'm hoping to have it done in time to bring it to Jeep Beach for our booth in April.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
A CJ7 is on my bucket list. Going to find one to restore but it will have a Cheby engine/trans.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since there is some interest I'll give a little more background. So when my buddy bought it from my wifes uncle it was bone stock 235's goodyears and stock steelies with right at 84k miles. Original paint and all the original equipment including cruise control which I have never seen in a CJ before. From what I understand it is very rare. It has a 258, T-4, D300 for drivetrain.

When I picked it up it didn't have a front axle in it but it had a ton of new parts with it. When I got it home to NC I basically sold all the parts I didn't want and had my initial investment back. At that time I had it on jack stands in my garage and it just kinda got stuck there for a bunch of years. I piled stuff in it, around it and under it so it was pretty much a permanent part of the garage.

In September of this year I went down to Sheriff's Jeep Fest and saw a couple CJ's I liked and it kinda got me motivated to get mine going again. So the ride home my wife and I talked about it and that week I ordered a set of wheels and tires for it figuring if anything would give me motivation it was having new rubber sitting in the garage for it. This indeed did work because the smell of new tires is almost unmatched for motivation on a Jeep. LOL So I got all my crap moved and started laying out parts and getting a plan together. Here is what I have done so far.

-Rock Equipment shackle hanger for YJ Springs
-Rock equipment heavy duty shackles with greasable bolts
-Rubicon Express YJ heavy duty military wrap spring over springs
-Barnes 4wd anti wrap spring perches, spring plates, shock mounts, u-bolts
-86 CJ rear Dana 44 with ARB and 4.88's
-Front Chevy Dana 44 cut down and turned the knuckles, 4.88's and ARB. Milled the steering knuckles for high steer. Converted to 5 on 5.5 outers to match the factory CJ pattern
-Warn front and rear bumper with tire carrier
-36" Super Swamper Iroks on Pro Comp Alloys

The To Do List:
-Finish brakes on the axles
-Build 7075 aluminum steering for it
-Rear Driveshaft
-Shocks
-Get it running

The list after the list:
-Replace some of the rusted floor pans
-Build a simple cage
-Add Corners, rocker guards, and front tube fenders most likely from TnT
-After all this I may build a AMC v8 and a TH400 for it but that would be after enjoying it for a little bit first.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
looking forward to the updates, sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sad to say I got it to about 95% and sold it so I could buy a tow rig. I think I have some pictures from before I dropped it off. I'm currently looking for an old J truck or Scrambler to work on.

New Tow Rig the CJ made room for.
Day I brought it home.

This past weekend after adding a leveling kit and tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.