JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a way to mount my Hi-Lift jack and I wanted it inside out of the weather. I couldn't see spending $50 or $60 for some mounts so I did this;

At the back of the Jeep on the bottom of the roll bar there are two weld nuts, one on each side. I took a 1/2"x13 tap and tapped out the holes. On the drivers side I bolted in an "L" bracket to the roll bar. On the jack side of the "L" bracket I used a 1/2"x13 X 2 1/2" bolt and nut. (I had to add a spacer nut on mine that you can see in the pic). Then bolted the foot of the jack in.

On the passengar side I used a 1/2"x13 X 3" bolt and cut the head off(you can also cut down some all thread if you have that, but the bolt was cheaper to buy and cut down). Threaded that in, I double nutted it so that I could wrench it in pretty snug, then just took the nuts off. Then to attach it all you need is a big washer and a 1/2"x13 wing nut.

I have a few thousand miles on the Jeep and a few very rough trails, and this thing is solid and quiet. Doesnt rattle and has never come loose.

Here is a pic from last weekend on Red Cone pass.

All of this was purchased at Home Depot

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
I've done something similar... but am using wing nuts on both ends to make getting the jack out easy. Not as pretty as the RR option or some of the other's... but the OP is right. Skip your cup of Starbucks tomorrow morning and have enough for a Hi-Lift mount.

The jack does get in the way somewhat, but if you are like me and don't have a giant ass with room for a long jack to slide in, this works and keeps the long jack jokes to a minimum. :thefinger:

OP: Give credit where it's due.... I think someone with a white Jeep came up with this (but it wasn't me). ;)

And a bonus with this... between the jack and tailgate is a perfect space to fit two five gallon NATO cans and they remain secure (even with the sub). :beer:

EDIT: Picture to illustrate the NATO cans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OP: Give credit where it's due.... I think someone with a white Jeep came up with this (but it wasn't me). ;)
Yes I did see someone else do this but I dont know who it was. Theres was a little different, I just thought I would share how I did mine incase someone else was looking to save a few bucks for a different mod!

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Yes I did see someone else do this but I dont know who it was. Theres was a little different, I just thought I would share how I did mine incase someone else was looking to save a few bucks for a different mod!
It's a great mod and thanks for sharing it. :beer:

I know when I found it I was pretty stoked!

Smarter people could probably milk even more goodness from this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
L Bracket

Went to Home Depot yesterday to try and put together this mod - looking for the L Bracket, but they sent me to shelving...nothing big enough to fit a 1/2"-13...what'd you use?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Home Depot yesterday to try and put together this mod - looking for the L Bracket, but they sent me to shelving...nothing big enough to fit a 1/2"-13...what'd you use?
I found the L bracket in the electrical dept. They had a few different types.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I like it :beer:
May be my winter hi lift holder
Goes on the Hood the rest of the year

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another cheap mounting solutions is to head the to the fencing section in your local hardware store and buy the bracket that is used on chain link fences . They come in different widths will wrap around your roll bars anywhere you want and then use a longer bolt and wing nut to fasten the high lift . No pics , I have a mount on my bumper or I would use this method , I have used it many times .

It allows you to mount it anywhere on your roll bars , so can put it lower or high up or even on the overhead part if wanted . Costs a few bucks , but sturdy as hell and easy to install and remove . It seems the correct name for the part is galvanized chain link brace band , I hope link works http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Fencing-Chain-Link/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7Zas0g/R-202499840/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 , then get a bolt , washer and get the right size wingnut for it .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts