Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to buy them for 50 cents on the dollar? :bawling::bawling:

Joking, but I'm scared to even look at them :eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
DJIA 9900...:shaking:
...Since Oct 29th 2004.

I have lost about 20% of a very diversified portfolio since first quarter. I may buy stock in Pepto Bismol and Budweiser. :bawling:

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
...Since Oct 29th 2004.

I have lost about 20% of a very diversified portfolio since first quarter. I may buy stock in Pepto Bismol and Budweiser. :bawling:
I hear ya. I'll have to roll mine into Molson stock and lotto tickets.:laughing:
Our 401K rep came by for his yearly visit and didn't even bother to bring updated statements. He printed all our statements for December 2007.:shaking:

Guess I'll have to wait for my quarterly statement to see how bad it has really dropped.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I lost about 15%. I'm not too worried. I figure the economy will either implode and it won't matter anyway or things will return to normal.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I lost about 15%. I'm not too worried. I figure the economy will either implode and it won't matter anyway or things will return to normal.
Yeah....the ups and downs. You expect them to a point...but you just hate looking at that one statement where you finally say, "You know....I think I'm just going to throw these in the trash until next year."

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
i gotta chime in on this one....lol...

No they are not insured, so stop asking:pissed:

last year people had over 20% rate of return and now they negative... big deal... if you are under 50...no need to worry about it

just think you are buying stuff on sale and if you are paranoid or getting ready to retire... move your money to a stable or bond fund.... geesh!

worse thing you can do is not contribute...atleast put in what your company matches.

its pretty dumb to take out loans from your 401K.... let me rephrase it... your 401k is not a checking or savings account. look at the bigger picture... if you leave the money in there... you will have more money at retirement and you pay your loans back in after tax money, but when you contribute its on a pretax basis

stop *****ing about federal witholdings and early age withdraw! It's 20% when you take it out and could face an additional 10% if you take it out prior to 59 1/2, People ***** about this all time... remember that when you see you have $50K this is including earnings, company match, and your pre tax dollars you put in.

finially - i wish i could ***** that i can only put in 15,500 a year and when i am 70 1/2 i can tell people i don't want my Required Minimum Distrubtion.

no more advice, or i will have to charge ya:D:beer:

·
Registered
208 Posts
i gotta chime in on this one....lol...

No they are not insured, so stop asking:pissed:

last year people had over 20% rate of return and now they negative... big deal... if you are under 50...no need to worry about it

just think you are buying stuff on sale and if you are paranoid or getting ready to retire... move your money to a stable or bond fund.... geesh!

worse thing you can do is not contribute...atleast put in what your company matches.

its pretty dumb to take out loans from your 401K.... let me rephrase it... your 401k is not a checking or savings account. look at the bigger picture... if you leave the money in there... you will have more money at retirement and you pay your loans back in after tax money, but when you contribute its on a pretax basis

stop *****ing about federal witholdings and early age withdraw! It's 20% when you take it out and could face an additional 10% if you take it out prior to 59 1/2, People ***** about this all time... remember that when you see you have $50K this is including earnings, company match, and your pre tax dollars you put in.

finially - i wish i could ***** that i can only put in 15,500 a year and when i am 70 1/2 i can tell people i don't want my Required Minimum Distrubtion.

no more advice, or i will have to charge ya:D:beer:

Yup...I'm increasing my 401K % soon. Like you said, it's like you're buying on sale. I can afford it and it will benefit me more in 40 years.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Wife and I have taken out beaucoup cash from the former WAMU before it tanked, and Wachovia as well...rather have the cash in a safe earning nothing, then risking losing it all, or not having instant access to it should these banks continue to lose financial credibility, and change the rules on withdrawals...when South American banks start tanking, the first thing they do is limit the public's access to their money...this tactic has not gone unnoticed by our financial "experts".

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You're a day late and a dollar short...land investments peaked 4 years ago...anybody selling you land now is making a huge killin'....wanna' buy a couple of houses in Broward County???

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
here is some good info for retirement.

Bottom line - people are living longer which you already know, but do you know how much you need to retire and when you can retire? Some good information based off if you had $1,000,000 in your 401k.
I don't like working, so i don't want to work any longer than i have to:laughing:

The 15 minute Retirement Plan

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
don't worry about your 401K's! right now, the demotarts in the house are trying to pass a bill that will give the government control of 401K's and turn them into another social security! they want to force that money to be invested in government bonds, force you to contribute.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have been contributing 15% of my pay for 11 years in the governmet Thrift Savings Plan. all the interest I had accumulated since I started is gone. I'm not worried. I retire in 8 years and I expect everything to come back so I continue to put 15% in my TSP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.