JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70909
This project started off in the "Slippery Slopes" thread. I knew the danger, but it didn't stop me. ;)

What was supposed to be a simple lift kit build turned into something a bit more comprehensive! For what I was aiming to do, the right lift turned out to be the Teraflex Elite 3" LCG long-arm setup. I want to run high-speed dirt/desert runs (like in DV's Panamint) and still crawl up my local trails in Big Bear. I added Speed Bumps and King shocks (compression adjustable, 25-way).

With the lift basics out of the way, I decided it was time fortify the rest of the system. JE Reel 1350 driveshafts for the front and rear. A Bilstein HD steering stabilizer along with a relocation kit was next. For the front axle, I went with the Teraflex inner axle sleeve (welded in). Synergy Suspension knuckle gussets along with matching front lower control arm skids was on the list, too. Seems my last DV run broke my factory front sway bay (electronics issue). Currie AntiRock w/aluminum arms appears to be a fine replacement. HD Ball joints and a Poly HD chromoly tie-rod finished things off up front. Out back, Rebel Off Road's custom skids provided matching protection -- all powder-coated black.

For other armor duties, I had my full set of River Raider skids powder-coated silver (rough match to body color) along with Teraflex diff covers. Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers, powder-coated black, along with matching Crusher Flares front/back (w/amber LEDs) rounded things out.

I've heard quite a bit about the 4x4 SPOD, and took the plunge. My Rigid Industries LEDs will now be nicely controlled in-cabin.

The 33s on AR Mojaves are off to make room for my new 35" Toyo Open Country tires on black Raceline Monsters (17x9, beadlock).

Even though I figured the Rubicon's 4.10s might be good enough, I went with Motive 4.88 ring/pinion gears for increased performance. On the chance that I go with 37s later, I should be covered.

Accessories-wise, I had some custom brackets welded into the void created by the roll-cage out back. Those will house four RotoPax containers for water/first-aid, and storage. A new OR-FAB tire carrier will house two 3-gallon RotoPax fuel containers, my spare, and the 49" Hi-Lift. Even though I have a 10# PowerTank, I chose a Warn PowerPlant winch combo (w/synthetic rope). It's nice to have options.

To correct the speedo for tire/gearing differences, I went with the AEV ProCal module. I'm looking forward to one-touch blinkers, too!

A snorkel remains, but I'm not quite sure which one I want (RR when back in stock w/Smiling Bob hose mod?). Whichever I choose, it will connect to my Airaid intake box.

Otherwise, I think I'm done for now. I'm going through withdrawals! I'll get my rig back early next week.

Jason, and the entire crew at Rebel Off Road have been fantastic! Thanks to everyone that recommended them! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stock Rubicon parts will be available. I plan to keep them as spares, or for anyone in need. So far, that includes the rock rails, front/rear fenders, drive shafts, 4.10 gears, tie-rod, bushings, 2" Rubicon Expresss BB w/monotubes, 5xAR Mojave wheels with 33" MT Baja MTZ tires.

I'll post them once I have a complete list. Those stock Rubicon wheels/tires are still available.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thats gonna be a bad asss build man hopefully Ill see it around im always around long beach.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some early photos...

Here are some photos that include the new parts, a couple shots of the new shocks, and some of the sand from Death Valley (hope I don't get cited for that too!). The factory "armor" took a beating. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
That is a solid list of parts you have there, I can't wait to see this thing finished.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
More shots from the shop...

In this batch, you can see the obvious differences between the stock and JE REEL driveshafts.

The Currie AntiRock is also (partially) installed at this point in the build.

* seems I've exceeded my photo attachments quota! I'll link these externally, instead!

** OK, these are linked with TapaTalk now. I don't have much experience with them and hope the links don't break! Is the quota for the entire thread, or per-post? Based on the few attempts I just made, it seems like the total storage is computed for the entire thread, not the specific reply post.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A few more mods managed to sneak in! Most notably, the custom Rebel Off Road hardtop roof rack and short-wave VHF/UHF 50 watt race radio. Since the rack needed to go out for powdercoat, I had light mount tabs welded on front/back, in advance. This system uses a pair of rails with four mount points; the rack itself is a single piece! The Halo rack is one of the few racks that don't require an external mounting assembly. I don't want to give up any lateral clearance, and it helps save a little weight and expense, too.

KoH and other recent events seem to have depleted the national supply of Rigid Industries LEDs! But, not before I got my hands on the last 50" SR hybrid light bar! That's going up front. For illumination duties out back, I'm going with a pair of Vision Solo pods -- single 10W LED units with diffusers.

Parts List

TERAFLEX JEEP JK 3" ELITE LCG LONG ARM SUSPENSION SYSTEM WITH SPEEDBUMPS / NO SHOCKS

TERAFLEX EXTENDED BRAKE LINES

TERAFLEX JEEP JK EXHAUST SPACER FOR 2012

CURRIE ANTIROCK - JEEP JK FRONT W/ ALUMINUM ARMS

KING JEEP JK 07+ 3"-5" LIFT ADJUSTABLE - 25 POSITION COMPRESSION ADJUSTABLE, FRONT/REAR

JE REEL 1350 HEAVY DUTY FRONT DRIVESHAFT FOR 2012 JEEP WRANGLER JK 2/4 DOOR

JE REEL 1350 HEAVY DUTY REAR DRIVESHAFT FOR 2012 JEEP WRANGLER JK 4 DOOR

REBEL OFF ROAD REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM SKIDS

BILSTEIN HEAVY DUTY STEERING STABILIZER FOR JEEP WRANGLER JK

STEERING STABILIZER RELOCATION BRACKET

TERAFLEX INNER AXLE SLEEVE FOR JEEP JK D30/D44

SYNERGY SUSPENSION D30/D44 KNUCKLE GUSSETS

SYNERGY SUSPENSION FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM SKID PLATES

TERAFLEX HD D44 DIFFERENTIAL COVERS

SYNERGY SUSPENSION HEAVY DUTY BALL JOINTS

POISON SPYDER CUSTOMS BRAWLER ROCKERS

POISON SPYDER CRUSHER FLARES FRONT AND REAR

AMBER LED RUNNING LIGHTS

4X4 SPOD FOR 2012 JEEP JK – RED SWITCHES

REBEL OFF ROAD WELD ON ROTOPAX BRACKETS FOR JEEP JK REAR CAGE

ROTOPAX STORAGE CANS
ROTOPAX WATER CANS
ROTOPAX EXTENSIONS
ROTOPAX NON LOCKING HANDLES

SYNERGY SUSPENSION HEAVY DUTY CHROMOLY TIE ROD

OR-FAB REAR TIRE CARRIER W/ DUAL 3-GALLON ROTOPAX

REBEL OFF ROAD REGEAR PACKAGE – 4.88

AEV PROCAL FOR VEHICLE TIRE SIZE/GEAR CHANGE CALIBRATION

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY M/T 35X12.50X17 x 5
RACELINE MONSTER BEADLOCKS 231 x 5
BLACK LUG NUTS

WARN POWERPLANT
SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE
ALUMINUM HAWSE FAIRLEAD
HAWSE FAIRLEAD LIGHT BRACKET FOR RIGID 10" BAR

REBEL OFF ROAD GRAPHICS PACKAGE
- HOOD MOUNTAIN BLACKOUT
- REBELCON – BLACK

HALO ROOF RACK BY REBEL OFF ROAD

TERAFLEX ANTENNA MOUNT

RACE RADIO PACKAGE

RIGID 50" SR LED LIGHT BAR HYBRID

INNER AXLE SEALS

SYNERGY SUSPENSION HD TIE ROD CLAMP

VISION X SOLO LED LIGHT POD - WIDE BEAM x 2

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Simply amazing but you could have got away without the above and shaved a few dollars!
Hey, thanks! It's true, quite a few items on the list were gained by simply thinking about "what else might break?". Some things get replaced when they actually break -- for others, the aggravation of trailside failure might outweigh the cost of replacing it preventively. At least, that's how I tend to justify it. :) Trust me, I never planned to do all of this at once!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
End of week update.

The entire crew at Rebel Off Road really put in some long hours on my rig -- especially Sandy with the after-hours effort! Thanks, guys!

A couple new driveshaft shots:

RROR skids coming together:

Poly HD Tie-rod w/ HD Bilstein steering stabilizer:

Front-end coming together:

Armor in place:

Raceline Monster beadlock 17x9, 4.5" BS w/35" Toyo Open Country MT

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Simply amazing but you could have got away without the above and shaved a few dollars!
Hey, thanks! It's true, quite a few items on the list were gained by simply thinking about "what else might break?". Some things get replaced when they actually break -- for others, the aggravation of trailside failure might outweigh the cost of replacing it preventively. At least, that's how I tend to justify it. :) Trust me, I never planned to do all of this at once!

This just in...

As fate would have it, my passenger-side stock upper and lower ball joints were shot. This was discovered when they were installing the passenger-side inner-axle sleeve. I was so gentle off-road, too! ;)

Anyhow, what's a little Death Wobble among friends?!

Suddenly, I feel better about the "upgrade". :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.