JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to clean up the look of my junk. After the beach trip I felt it necessary to repaint the frame and suspension. I started out masking things off and about 10 min into I said fuk it and just painted everything. I think painting all the underbody, suspension, shocks and anything else that was in the way painted the same color looks good, not as distracting. I also painted the rock rails but I masked the body off for that. Some will have heard the saying Murdered Out referring to blacking everything out.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I do that every couple of months, although I still try and keep some suspension bling, the salt air around here turns everything burnt orange real fast. The sand from the beach is coated with salt and gets everywhere and starts eating away pretty fast.

Hope you had a good time on the beach :)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW I found that Rustoleum Satin works well. flat black just seem to go on too thin, gloss and semi gloss are better, but you have to be more fussy when putting it on. Satin blends in very well and doesn't show runs etc.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. Murdered out is the way to go. What kind of paint did you use?
I used Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel
flat on the suspension and everything else in the way
satin on the rock rails

I do that every couple of months, although I still try and keep some suspension bling, the salt air around here turns everything burnt orange real fast. The sand from the beach is coated with salt and gets everywhere and starts eating away pretty fast.

Hope you had a good time on the beach :)
Yeah if I had those pretty blue shocks I wouldn't paint them either

We had a good time and the kids really loved the time we spent at your house. How was the scuba trip in the Bahamas

·
Registered
950 Posts
u missed the brake caps! and that front bumper.. lol..

i've done the same thing.. i do it every 6 months.. make everything look pretty again plus slows down the rust.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Yeah if I had those pretty blue shocks I wouldn't paint them either
I do actually paint them, I just paint them pretty blue :D

How was the scuba trip in the Bahamas
Great, got in a few dives and did one out at a blue hole that had Silky sharks schooling there. There were 50+ sharks in sight for most of the dive, some of them were pretty inquisitive...

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Looks good BG,

I did the same thing to mine a couple of weeks ago, burned three cans of rustoleum.....

and I did my rims too:D Got a fix for that pesky rockrash once and for all!!!

I left the shocks white though...

A

·
0 Posts
Looks good. Every time I’m under there with a rattle can one or two more things get the krylon semi gloss treatment. I keep looking at my fancy Fox shocks and think they’re gonna get hit next. Sure makes it easy when you don’t have to worry about over spray.

A

·
0 Posts
Looks good BG,

I did the same thing to mine a couple of weeks ago, burned three cans of rustoleum.....

and I did my rims too:D Got a fix for that pesky rockrash once and for all!!!

I left the shocks white though...
I went though about 5 cans on just the wheels. I did do the entire rim with 4 coats though. I buy rattle can paint online by the case. You can sometimes find it way cheaper than the store, even with shipping.

The trick is to scuff up the surface first so it lasts longer before it starts flaking off. It’s a bit like painting at home, the more prep time, the better the finish.

Funnily enough I spent a good 4 hours prepping the tub today before painting it with truck bed liner tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Looks good Joe, cleans everything nicely!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
can you post some pic of how you did your rear bumper.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Looks great... Mine is going to get the same treatment again soon, minus the shocks and diff covers. The road salt around here destroys things rather quickly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks i like it. i have a red 4door also and a might copy yours.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts