1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have two of the multi-purpose millers in our shop the newest one is the multi-matic 215 is only a couple of months old .
the other is about nine months old and is their dimension 302 , that is the one that I have more experience with .
the smaller one is nice for lighter material and easier to manipulate around the shop , but the 302 has a better burn controllability especially with aluminum , although the small one is faster to change over from mig to tig .
Depending on how you intend to use them I believe that the 215 is a better unit just a little slower and just a little less able to create the desired penetration on heavier stock than the 302 .
I have wanted to try the rebel but just haven't had the opportunity .

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was hesitant at first to try the Rebel 215ic but after working with it I would say this little unit has held it's own vs the Miller's I have owned in the past. While building my JK-8 I ran everything from .023 wire to .035 in Mig as well as some stainless and this thing rocked them all. Towards the end of my build my welder shut off. I called ESAB and after troubleshooting for a few minutes they apologized and shipped overnight a brand new machine. Now that is customer service!

I have not used the ARC or TIG functions yet but will be this winter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hesitant at first to try the Rebel 215ic but after working with it I would say this little unit has held it's own vs the Miller's I have owned in the past. While building my JK-8 I ran everything from .023 wire to .035 in Mig as well as some stainless and this thing rocked them all. Towards the end of my build my welder shut off. I called ESAB and after troubleshooting for a few minutes they apologized and shipped overnight a brand new machine. Now that is customer service!

I have not used the ARC or TIG functions yet but will be this winter.
Thanks. I have an ESAB 250 and love it so I was really debating the REbel.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am curious if anyone has used a spool gun on one for Aluminum.
It's DC only, so not TIG aluminum capable. It can only MIG with a spool gun. I would pass and get a unit with AC TIG and high frequency start.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
It's DC only, so not TIG aluminum capable. It can only MIG with a spool gun. I would pass and get a unit with AC TIG and high frequency start.
I've never had much luck with a spool gun on aluminum. Unless your building boats or other really large things. I agree, AC TIG with HF is the only way to go.

I looked through the specs on the Rebel. It doesn't really say that it's a CC/CV machine. But if the MIG it talks about is the Short Arc process, then CV has to be there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never had much luck with a spool gun on aluminum. Unless your building boats or other really large things. I agree, AC TIG with HF is the only way to go.

I looked through the specs on the Rebel. It doesn't really say that it's a CC/CV machine. But if the MIG it talks about is the Short Arc process, then CV has to be there.

I actually went to a ESAB demo at a local weld store a few weeks ago and did some hands on with this as a tig. It is not an AC/HF capable machine. Yes, you can spool gun aluminum in MIG mode with it, but your not going to be able stack nickels on aluminum with this machine. I would look at a blue AC/DC TIG only machine and keep the MIG you likely already have in your garage. If aluminum is in your future, your better off steering into a dedicated TIG with the features desired for such. I already have a large 250 amp Thermal Arc (Fabricator series) MIG, so I am going to step away from the ESAB and look at the dedicated TIG machines. I don't really have much use for stick, I don't weld out in the wild where I need to have wind resistance.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the only way to get anything close to a good quality MIG aluminum weld is with a push/pull gun going through a pulser. I'm sure all the top brands have something that fits that bill. The gun alone for a Miller is almost 2k. The machines that have a pulser integrated are all at the high end of the product line up. None of it is cheap.

I have a Miller 251 MIG so I'm good there. Next up will be a Dynasty 350 for TIG. The Dynasty has AC/TIG and a pulser built in.

Keith B,

The Miller Diversion 165 and 180 both have AC/TIG. They're not multi process though. It sounds like your already set with a MIG machine with the 250 you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.