JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of my first Wrangler, a 2012 JKU. I'm looking to improve the sound a bit - nothing too loud, mainly something deeper/more growly. Like most, I don't want "ricey," and if that's simply not possible with a 3.6L V6, I'd rather just stick with the stock exhaust.

My local shop carries a Flowmaster 50. They would remove the resonator and muffler and install the 50 for about $600. i live in a country with a very high cost of living, so this is not that surprising.

I also have the option of ordering on Amazon and having something shipped into the country. I was looking at the Magnaflow 15160, which I see for roughly $500 or so online.

Is there an advantage or downside of removing the resonator and installing the Flowmaster 50 versus the Magnaflow being simply swapped out for the existing muffler? I don't do any off-roading, so this is just for sound. I also don't expect HP or MPG gains, but I want to lose anything either.

Thanks in advance!

·
JKowners Vendor
1,276 Posts
Just do a delete. It's free and oddly enough my MPGs went up slightly. Absolutely bizarre. If you don't like the sound after that then start looking at options.

-Julia

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just do a delete. It's free and oddly enough my MPGs went up slightly. Absolutely bizarre. If you don't like the sound after that then start looking at options.

-Julia
Ok, dumb question, but what does that mean? Delete what and replace with what (if anything)?

thanks

·
V8 dreams
3,571 Posts
I did not want to hear my v6 noises much at all, but i did want some sound so i could know the rpm were rising without staring at the tach. Look into a dynomax 17263 ultra flo stainless muffler. It was like $50, looks to now be $80 ish...take to a shop and have it put on and turned down before rear axle. my total cost way back when was $150, my brother liked it so much and didn’t want obnoxious v6 noises and he did the same.

We both have the 3.8 though, so i do not know how much difference this will make.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been going back and forth on doing the same thing. YouTube has some good videos with different products/sounds. just search Magnaflow JK and you'll get alot of options.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,267 Posts
Let's just cut through the BS and get down to undisputed facts.
No matter how hard you try, the 3.6 will always sound like a coffee can full of chewed up buttholes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Let's just cut through the BS and get down to undisputed facts.
No matter how hard you try, the 3.6 will always sound like a coffee can full of chewed up buttholes.
Good one!!
The only thing worse is a 3.8 with Ripp headers. I even run the resonator but need to look at a better muffler.
Then again, some people love the sound of "a coffee can full of chewed up buttholes." lol

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,267 Posts
Good one!!
The only thing worse is a 3.8 with Ripp headers. I even run the resonator but need to look at a better muffler.
Then again, some people love the sound of "a coffee can full of chewed up buttholes." lol
As I get older, I like quiet.
If you need to make space by changing out your exhaust, I get it -- it's a compromise. More space = more noise.
I was really interested in the vaporware / fad Dynomax "Quiet Crawler" setup when that was a thing. In reality it probably still sounds like Donald Duck getting blown in a kazoo factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts