JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any feedback you might all have. I recently was on a pretty basic trail ride in Florida and ended up with a very small puncture in the sidewall of my Goodyear MTRs. I had thought that the kevlar was in place to help prevent these punctures. These tires only had about 2k miles on them so it really sucks to need another one so soon......
as a side note these were 37x12.5x17s.

Has anyone every had any luck with Goodyear doing something to help with an issue like this? I plan to give them a call just to try tomorrow but thought I'd try to get some feedback first.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I've torn up a sidewall on my MTR's and feel lucky it's only happened once. Been wheeling MTR's for 4 years.

They are known for having a somewhat weak sidewall. I buy the insurance from Discount Tire to help when one tears up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unless you bought some sort of insurance/no questions asked warranty when you bought them, you're on your own with this one. That sucks.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you don't want to pay to replace tires either stay on the pavement or buy the road hazard warrantee many places offer. The belts are not there for puncture resistance they are there for the stability and weight handle got the tire.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I did give Goodyear corporate a call and they were able to help out based on the fact that that the tires are still so new. They called it a one time concession support. I have to say they may have just made me a customer for life. I did not expect any support because I did not have any kind of road hazard (which I will from now on) but thought I give them a call anyway. They did not replace the tire but I am paying a whole lot less than the normal $409 price. It never hurts to ask.

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
I quit using them a long time ago because of side wall tears. I went through multiple sets. Side wall tears are so hard if not impossible to trail repair. So I got rid of them, not worth the risk in backcountry.

My new favorites are Nittos.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I did give Goodyear corporate a call and they were able to help out based on the fact that that the tires are still so new. They called it a one time concession support. I have to say they may have just made me a customer for life. I did not expect any support because I did not have any kind of road hazard (which I will from now on) but thought I give them a call anyway. They did not replace the tire but I am paying a whole lot less than the normal $409 price. It never hurts to ask.
Wow, that's awesome. I did not see that coming. I've sliced the sidewalls of three Duratracs now, but I have the extreme warranty from 4wp.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just had one of mine punctured after a year. Have the Discount Tire warranty but they said they they can't find but a couple sets(4-5 held as a full set) at <5 of their stores nationwide. They also said they called Goodyear and Goodyear stated they are discontinuing the 37x12.50x17 MTR....

The same store was magical getting my 5 when I first ordered them but they are not having any luck with this replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts