JKOwners Forum banner

MTR/K or KM2

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. I know this has been beaten to death, BUT I'm in a spot where 5 of either is within $54 of the other, shipped. I am not looking for what's best for you- I'm selfish- I want what's best for ME :)

I am on-road most of the time (upstate NY, so lots of winding back roads). Plenty of dirt roads (fire trails, as you call them out west), some mud regularly. I will also be going over to Rausch Creek some, so mud and rocks. I don't care so much about on-road as off. I want to hear from people who have each WHY I should buy either way- let me know :) Mark W.

·
Registered
990 Posts
10K miles on my 35" MTR/K's sofar (3 months). They look like new still! <Crossing Fingers>

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I have a few thousand on my KM2s, i wheel them pretty hard on rocks. They are holding up very well. I bought all five of mine, mounted/balanced, 4wp road hazard warranty for $1300. It was about $200-$300 cheaper than the Kevlars, that was the deciding factor. Plus i think the kevlars look just weird aesthetics wise.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ To be honest, I have to agree with the last bit- they aren't as "classic M/T" looking as the KM2's. While I don't WANT for that to be a deciding factor, I'm sorry- I like the badass look of M/T's.

I also recognize that the MT part of MTR is Max Traction, not Mud Terrain, as in the KM2's, so I wonder how they'd stack up, as I am more than likely moving to FL next winter, so rocks will be a lot less of a factor- please note :) Mark W.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have not used the km2's so I can't compare. But my 37" mtr/k's have been very good in the limited amount of mud I've seen. Very good on rocks. And very good on snow covered rocks. HTH.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have the km2 with about 35,000 miles on them and they are at about half tread. I have to say that I love them and will be buying them again when I go to 37s. I wheel with a guy who has a set of 35" mtr kevlars and I have to say that the differences off road are negligible. I out go him in certain types of mud and rocks. He out goes me on icy roads. Snow is about the same. Rocks and rocks with dirt mixed in we are almost the same. The kevlar is supposed to have a tougher sidewall but I have heard of those being cut all the way thru as well. In my opinion, you will not go wrong with either tire. In another of my opinions those are the 2 best offroad tires on the market unless all you ever play in is mud, then get a bogger.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm rather leaning towards the KM2's at this point- even though they'll be a LITTLE (MAYBE $40) more in the end, I really liked the KM's, and have heard so much good stuff about the 2's- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think the KM2s may be better in the rocks. I mostly wheel in rocks and I have noticed a lot of tire slippage when following the guys with MTR/Ks. I think the KM2s wrap around the rocks way better than the MTR/Ks. I have seen guys running MTR/Ks with less air than me and the tires not wrapping like the KM2s do.

That said, when we wheel in the snow, it seems like the MTR/Ks do a little better than my KM2s.

The KM2s have great street manners, almost like an all-terrain. I have heard the same about the Kevlars too.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This will eventualy be my dilemma as well, as I'm a big fan of both. Based on my research I am leaning toward the MT/R Ks though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I have found a new factor- not many places have the KM2's in stock in 35X12.5X15, and those that do often have them at a significant markup. Not so for the MTR/K in this size. If I pop one, I'd hate to be stuck for a couple days, as this is my daily driver- crap! Too much information :) Mark W.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm rather leaning towards the KM2's at this point- even though they'll be a LITTLE (MAYBE $40) more in the end, I really liked the KM's, and have heard so much good stuff about the 2's- Mark W.
Are you getting that price on "C" rated MTR's? That may make a difference if the KM2's are D's.

·
Registered
516 Posts
my km2's do great in the mud and clay of northern az. they also grip on rocks. ive gotten stuck once in snow. ive herd they dont do good on snow, but ive only gotten stuck once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts