JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to pull the trigger on a wheel and tire set up and am having 2nd thoughts on the MTR's I want.

I want to run a 37x12.50r17 MTR with Kevlar but I am worried about the balancing issues they have had. I would get some toyo's or nitto's but the weight is something Id like to avoid.
Has this been addressed at all or corrected?
Is there any way to possibly minimize the risk?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine have a very slight shimmy from 60-65. Not enough that I have wanted to spend money to do anything about.

A lot of it is the shop wanting to take the time to possibly break a bead and spin a tire. Road Force balancing can also help.

IF you have balance issues and want/need to have them re done make sure you go to an authorized Good Year dealer in case you have an out of round tire or something like that so Goodyear will take care of you on it.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,652 Posts
The real problem is going to be finding MTRs right now. In the past the best way to get them to roll smooth has been to true/shave them as mentioned above.

If you add a beadlock wheel to the equation it will make the balancing more difficult.

Toyos or Nittos aren't THAT much heavier and they will roll smoother.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The real problem is going to be finding MTRs right now. In the past the best way to get them to roll smooth has been to true/shave them as mentioned above.

If you add a beadlock wheel to the equation it will make the balancing more difficult.

Toyos or Nittos aren't THAT much heavier and they will roll smoother.
X2 on that stay a away from mtrs i balance mine 3 times and there still not smooth

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys think the difference in the Nitto D rating and Toyo E rating will make much of a difference, all others being equal?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Do you guys think the difference in the Nitto D rating and Toyo E rating will make much of a difference, all others being equal?

Toyo E will have a little firmer sidewall. No real big difference between them really. If you wheel where you rip a lot of sidewalls you may want the E

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Anyone know of a shop in the Denver area that can true/shave a tire if needed?
That just seems like a waste of tire ...
if you don't buy the MTRs because they are crap to balance...
mabey they will step up the game and fix the issue...

unless we are not on the mtr issue then Ignore me

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I've had MTR 35's for almost 2 years and NO issues with balancing. Then again, I do NOT use the TPMS sensors.

It is my belief that with aftermarket rims, you must offset the weight of the TPMS sensor when balancing the tire.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been somewhat fortunate with the MTR 35s. I have heard of several saying there were not. However, I do lean towards MTRs again now because they are over 34", are light yet strong, and perform great off road. So it always is in the top 2-3 choices for me. I was thinking of getting new 35s but just in case I have balancing issues, it would be good to have a shop that trues them.

The Nittos and Toyos are great quality tires for trucks but too heavy and too stiff for me...same with the Cooper MTs. I have not regeared and don't feel like adding 10-15 lbs per tire. 4.10s are barely adequate here for me. That said, I have heard of balancing issues with KM2s and Cooper STTs too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been thru 2 sets of 37 mtrs first were on beadlocks and second we're not. Balancing issues on both set tried regular spin balancing and road force with little change. Both sets produced death wobble with the right speed and bump in the road. Switched them out to Nittos and all problems solved. Don't think I will ever use mtrs again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I share your concern. I am dreading getting a bad set. I am waiting to see if anything else comes out this Fall. I was considering the Nittos or Toyos but ~15 lbs more per tire will really drag me down even more going up the mountain highways and passes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Anyone know how much more a 37" trail grappler weighs than a 37" mtr? I thgink the mtr in 37x12.50x17 weighs 74 pounds but could be wrong. I have no idea how much the 37x12.50x17 trail grappler weighs

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have seen where one guy weighed his on a calibrated scale and posted weights around 82.5 lbs. Others seems to be around the same but all have been over 80 lbs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently put a set of cooper stt's on and they ride fairly rough. I'm getting them rebalanced tomorrow. I had a set of toyo's on my jk before and never had a balance issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My first set of MTR 35's on steel wheels used clamp on weights that i had rebalanced every 5k. Worked fairly well for average mud grips. Most recent set on alloy wheels couldn't balance well so the shop used Equal balance powder. Insane smooth. Like a car tire. Never had large tires balance this well. Self-heals over time. Nothing to knock off wheeling or rebalnce over time. Crazy stuff. I was very doubtful at first but almost a year later i'm an Equal fanboy. Also heard good stories about the other larger style balance beads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts