JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my brand new 4 door 2012 JK with both soft and hard top. I currently live in Maryland but now it looks like I'll be moving to southern California region in October. So now I'm wondering if I really need a hard top after all. Do any of you guys in southern California use your hard tops? Advice please. Thanks

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
No for weather , yes depending on where you live and store your jeep I had a hard top sold it to buy my trek top but I live in the middle of nowhere and it sleeps in the garage

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaker, thanks for replying so quickly. The jeep will be sleeping in my garage as well. Il be most likely living in temecula (close to the desert). I'm also self employed and run a home based business so it won't be parked all day in San Diego or LA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one on but it is beyond hot where I live (around 120 all summer) so it is definitely a better choice for me.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Jaker, thanks for replying so quickly. The jeep will be sleeping in my garage as well. Il be most likely living in temecula (close to the desert). I'm also self employed and run a home based business so it won't be parked all day in San Diego or LA.
Sweet 10 min from me and a bunch of JK's

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well TBH I'm not a soft top fan in Ca leave anything out in the open and it will be stolen sooner or later! It may sleep in your garage but you have to drive it and park it and thats when the little bastards will get you!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I lived in temecula for 10 years...keep the hard top for the summers it can get pretty hot in temecula.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I lived in temecula for 10 years...keep the hard top for the summers it can get pretty hot in temecula.
Oh stop it just because the san Diego area is 15 deg cooler its not that bad up here , I take the doors and top off from may to oct , but then again I work out doors so I am used to it , UPS trucks don't have air

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in Winchester, and I leave my Hard top on most of the year. I was considering a soft top, but if i wanted that much noise, i just take the top off. once you get out here you can make up your mind. Yes it's hot in summer. Yes it's cold in "Winter". I'm sure you will figure it out once you get out here...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whatever top you have is the right one for Socal. Very little rain during the year and hot temps in the summer is the norm (my brother lives in Temecula). The hard top is quieter and insulates better, the soft top adds the "cool" factor but is louder and doesn't insulate well at all. I had the 2 top option on my '06 LJ and switched them around depending on weather and how far my next trip was going to take me. On my 2012, I just got the hard top and will be doing the cloth half doors and Safari top for the summers. Get out here and see how you like what you have before spending $$.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here in Maryland it also gets hot. Actually, oppressively hot! The humidity just sucks! So I thinking SoCal couldn't be worse? Any of you guys from the west ever visit the east coast during the summer? How do you think it compares?

·
Registered
71 Posts
east coast has humidity the west coast normally does not. You've heard the saying "but it's a dry heat". That holds very true out here. 120 is 120, but if you have 50% humidity, it amplifies what you feel..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I lived in Menifee,2 towns up from Temecula for about 5 years and like previously stated it gets toasty there. The only time I thought it was cold was feb-mar in the morning on my bike zipping down the 215/15. But temperature is a relative thing. When my sister came to visit from Seattle during the summer she roasted, that dry heat can getcha. I do have to say though for some reason I remember the San Diego airport area being one of the most humid areas I've been in. Especially, at night. Anyways sorry for the ramble, I would bring both and keep them for a year to see what you think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in Maryland it also gets hot. Actually, oppressively hot! The humidity just sucks! So I thinking SoCal couldn't be worse? Any of you guys from the west ever visit the east coast during the summer? How do you think it compares?
I lived in Maryland and the 90 degree 90 percent humidity days sucked but they were not the norm. It stays above 110 nearly every day all summer where I live. 120 is not out of the question. However, it is pretty nice right now. It has been mid 80's the last few days.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In Socal's High Desert region, out by Edwards AFB.

From about the end of March to beginning of Nov I like to roll with the soft top. Being able to go topless at a moments notice out here is well, nice. Nov-Feb is the rainy season, well except for this yr it is. Feel better with the hardtop on. Place I think it keeps the Jeep a bit warmer as well. Might be in the desert but dang we have some cold mornings and nights out here.

So it may depend in SOCAL you are talking about on what top and when.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Why would anyone choose to move to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia? But then again, you live MD, the 3rd or 4th ranking commie state in the union. :thefinger:

Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with depending on where you live/work would be the only reason for hardtop... I'm in San Diego and work at a bar a few nights a week, I'm putting my soft top back on but I'm a little nervous, I'll let you know how it goes :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a hardtop fan...

My Jeeps and I have lived in Los Angeles (Long Beach) for about eight years or so. All three had hardtops, but like others have pointed out, it's not because of the weather.

For me, it's all about security. It makes it more SUV-like that way (increased utility for general use). It's less important for me now, but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it anywhere with the top off (but I think I'd feel that way in any location).

The OEM hardtop has gotten progressively better. I was always afraid that I'd pop out my LJU windows on a trail (never happened, but I've seen it more than once on other Jeeps -- once on the notoriously rough Shaver/Red/Coyote Lake series of trails). Even between my two JKs they've done some incremental tweaks -- but none ever leaked on me. The JK OEM hardtop doesn't seem to suffer the same stress load when the Jeep is doing its thing.

You'll get a feel for your local environment pretty fast. With so many SOCAL folks, I'm looking forward to a run together some time! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts