JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're about 95% sure we're moving to Oakridge TN now. What kind of wheeln and dirt bike riding is close? Any imput?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You're smack dab beside Windrock ORV Park and about 20 minutes from Royal Blue (not the ATV/Jeep Park, but the public land area). GREAT wheeling there with anything from nice trailrides to extreme off camber to big fricken rocks.

http://www.coalcreekohv.com

The pics on their website make it look boring. Check out youtube for some better stuff.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure? I'm not terribly fond of cleaning mud out from under my jeep and it looks like it has it's share.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Tennessee myself. Not to fond of Oak Ridge Tn but there are some trails and playgrounds I guess. Have fun and watch out for the cops they are asses.

·
Registered
865 Posts
any place you move to east of the river is gonna have mud when it rains and it starts raining here in November and stops in June on the average. then it dries out and you have lots of dust. so your alternatives are
1) stay where you are
2) mall crawl
3) wheel and save your quarters for the car washes

i hate mud also, but it is a fact of life on this side of the river, and be prepared for most of the wheeling is in parks that charge you 25 to 35 dollars a day to ride over at most 1,200 acres except Windrock 72,000 acres. also the closest park to me is a 3 hour drive. a day trip of wheeling costs me about 150.00 with gas, fees, and groceries. Windrock is a 9 hour drive, but it is the best we have as far as size so yeah, i consider you lucky to live that close.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never lived in an area that has virtually no public land. Prior to Colorado I lived in Idaho. We could wheel, ride and camp so many different places and, minus holliday weekends, see few if any other people if you wanted to drive in aways.

It's going to be different.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The good thing about Windrock is that the area has a lot of sandstone, thus meaning that even when it rains, it drains off pretty quick and it's a sandy dirt, not so much clay like you get some other areas. It rained the last day I was there and while the Jeep was dirty, it wasn't packed with mud like some other places I've been.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Everyone pretty much said it... expect mud. Even when Tellico was open and was mostly rock you still got mud. Just they way in the south. Adds a little extra challenge when you go to climb that ledge and there is mud on the tires. Oh and from what I get, the traction here is different. Some visiting friends told me when we were out in my Jeep the rocks on the west coast are like sand paper with good grip. Here they are slick, pretty smooth so it takes more throttle to climb some of them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've never lived in an area that has virtually no public land. Prior to Colorado I lived in Idaho. We could wheel, ride and camp so many different places and, minus holliday weekends, see few if any other people if you wanted to drive in aways.

It's going to be different.
I feel your pain. Spent the last 5 years in the Northwest (Seattle area) and the wheeling on public land and rocks was plentiful compared to TN. However, there are worse places to live for wheeling (like my home state of FL). I moved to Franklin, TN in February. As for the mud, just buy a decent pressure washer.......

I just got my rig fitted with a new PR44 so I am ready to test it out. When you get to town shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Mud is just a fact of life on the east coast. You can avoid the deep shit, but when it rains you're going to have to get out the pressure wand.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess I'm going to have to aquire a pressure wand.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's official. Moving to Oak Ridge Tennessee Aug. 1st. Wife will be working in Oak Ridge but we're thinking of living somewhere in between Knoxville and Oak Ridge.

Thinking of renting for a while till we get to know area a little, anyone have any input as far as a nice community and schools in that area. Our son will be starting kindergarten this fall. Any areas to avoid?

Any info would be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts