JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We can finally share the news. Our family is moving to Canada; Toronto, Ontario to be more specific. We are looking at living in the Yorkville area, smack in the middle of downtown Toronto. Probably do the urban thing for a couple of years. We move in June 2012 and will be up there anywhere from 2 to 3 years, then we come back to Raleigh (or wherever else we feel like, I guess).

Here's the story:

My wife works for a national US retailer. She was offered an awesome opportunity to open the first stores in Canada for this retailer. They cover everything including buying our house in Raleigh, moving us, paying for a place to live, and a nice living allowance. I get to keep my job with my employer by working remotely and everyone is happy.

We're keeping both our Jeeps, even though gas is like $7/gallon. We don't anticipate much driving since we'll be in the heart of downtown Toronto and public transportation is plentiful. We'll use the Jeeps on weekends and to go exploring the Great White North.

Lots of hunting, fishing and snow wheeling in the next 2-3 years. I guess I'll have to brush up on my Canadian tax laws, but overall we are very excited about the move and can't wait for it to happen. Even our 4-yr old daughter is ready! She packed her bag the other day and has it by the door, ready to go.

We plan to ship my wife's Jeep and drive mine up. We plan to pass through Scranton, PA to visit some friends, then up to Buffalo, Niagara Falls and finally Toronto.

I'll still chime in here, but my presence will be scarce during the move. Wish us luck, eh! :bounce:

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Wave to Dwight Schroot as you pass the Dunder Mifflin offices up there in Scranton.:thefinger:

Seriously though, it's pretty cool you can keep your job via working remotely.

My wife and I were looking at a move to Florida for awhile but couldn't dig up a goood position in her field in the area we want to live, so the hope now is to get her a job at a company in the Northeast that will permit her to work remotely. Bummer is that there are precious few companies out there who're gonna hire someone on a telecommuting basis, so we're still in SEPA for the time being.

Speaking of SouthEast PA, if you wanna pop in for a pint on your way through, I'm just outside Philly at the intersection of Interstate routes 76 and 476. Plenty of decent pubs nearby.

If you're in the Jeep, you can hop the Delaware River into Jersey and hit a trail ride with the Jersey Crew.

Good luck on the move.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, thats a pretty big move and its great that your wife's company is flipping the bill. As for Toronto, try to stay away from the Scarborough area and the rest isn't too bad. Alot of things to do in Toronto so try and get out to all the shows, events, and also try and find a good Jeeper out there cause that will help you find the trails and Jeep events.

If you ever come as far north as Sudbury, ( about 4.5hrs North of TO ) gimme a shout and I'd be more then happy to go wheelin, fishing or even hunting with you and your family. The outdoors here is like the greatest I've ever seen and there is alot of awesome Jeeping areas.

Good luck in Toronto and hope the move goes really well.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome!
I'm about 50 miles west of Toronto. As noted above, avoid Scarborough and a few areas in the north end of the city. Yorkville is a nice area.
As for wheelin, you have to go a couple hours north of Toronto to find any legal wheeling spots. Shoot me a PM and I can fill you in on some organized wheeing events, local clubs, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It'll take me some time to get settled in. My wife just came back from Toronto yesterday and we're going up together for a week to house-hunt. She definitely liked the Yorkville area. She's looking at staying near Avenue Road and Bloor St. Apparently that's where all the nice shopping areas are and there are a ton of new or newly-renovated apartment high-rises with great amenities. I'd love an older Brownstone near town, but I guess an apartment would also work and be less work in the winter.

Anything I should watch out for in terms of getting my Jeep past inspection? My tires stick out past the fenders about an inch or so, but not too bad. I have a Magnaflow muffler, so it's a little louder than stock, and total height of the Jeep is about 74" I've heard most municipal parking decks are 2 meters, which is roughly 78", so I think I'll be fine. Do I need DRLs?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My Jeep is about the same height and I get real nervous parking in underground lots in Toronto. I think the one at City Hall is 1.9M or something like that. I haven't scraped the roof yet but the damn sprinkler pipes scare the crap out of me, lol.
I don't believe you'd have to add DRL's since your Jeep wasn't originally sold here. If you get Ontario plates you will likely have to have an emissions test done. Not sure if the aftermarket muffler will be an issue for the "visual inspection" but I think it'd be fine. If you stick with your NC plates you won't need the emissions test but you'd have to go back to get them renewed. Tires sticking out an inch technically isn't good but most Jeeps on the road with aftermarket wheels/tires are the same, including mine and I've never been hassled.
PM inbound.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks guys. It'll take me some time to get settled in. My wife just came back from Toronto yesterday and we're going up together for a week to house-hunt. She definitely liked the Yorkville area. She's looking at staying near Avenue Road and Bloor St. Apparently that's where all the nice shopping areas are and there are a ton of new or newly-renovated apartment high-rises with great amenities. I'd love an older Brownstone near town, but I guess an apartment would also work and be less work in the winter.

Anything I should watch out for in terms of getting my Jeep past inspection? My tires stick out past the fenders about an inch or so, but not too bad. I have a Magnaflow muffler, so it's a little louder than stock, and total height of the Jeep is about 74" I've heard most municipal parking decks are 2 meters, which is roughly 78", so I think I'll be fine. Do I need DRLs?
your hight will be fine tires should be fine mine stick out about 1.5 inches yes u will need day time running lights but all u gotta do is just hook up a small led light in the front of the jeep and have it on when u drive thats all

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
Sounds like it will be a blast. Enjoy the adventure.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Welcome to Canada... if you ever get out to Calgary... we got lots of wheelin out here too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.