JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to keep things simple and clean.
I have HID headlights good enough to not require any additional LEDs up front, and I don't have anything extra on the front of the JK.
I used bright LED plug in reverse lights that work well for doing that job, and you can't see them.

I really dislike that stupid E.T. looking third brake light!
I want to move the light up to my hard top, which is on my Jeep 99% of the time anyways.
I will make a quick disconnect for removing the top, so I can still go topless.

I have seen a few people move their light up, and I like the look.
My idea was that if I am moving the light, why not get one that has some more BRIGHT LED reverse lights at the same time!
It would look like the ones on the back of a pickup cab for brake and bed lights.
I want a CLEAN looking setup, but also bright LEDs that I can wire into the reverse lights.

Anyone have any experience using something like this?

Here is an idea of what I was thinking for looks.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-531077/overview/

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That looks like a pretty good idea.
I have way too much stuff in the back to ever consider taking the top off.

I'll be watching this thread.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used the stock brake light for mine. The top of the hard top angles forward. I used my friends mill to make a bezel to change the face angle to be perpendicular (not leaning forward). Made mine out of aluminum, but plastic or delrin would be just fine with a bead of "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought about doing it that way.
First, the angle was wrong as you mentioned.
And I also figured, why not try for a little more white light back there when you want it.

Also the lights like I linked usually have an angle built into them because they are normally mounted on the back of the cab of a pickup, which has a very similar angle to the back of our hard tops.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one advertises the lumens of the white LEDS on these things though.
I know they are usually just bed lights, but I would like to compare the lumens to see which might actually be the brightest white lights.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My experience with similar lighting on the pickup:
Bed lighting was weak. Better than nothing, but i do not see how these would add anything for backup lighting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after searching around a LOT. I only found one that listed as 'mega' bright for the lights, but I think that would still only apply to bed lighting and not usable reverse lights.

I will go with a regular third brake light on the top instead of trying to incorporate the reverse lights. I just don't think anything out there is worth it at this time.

That doesn't mean I won't try and add in some reverse lights, I am just not going to waste time trying to make them in the same piece as the brake light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts