JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

So I bought a Kenwood ksc sw11 planed on installing it under the rear seat in my '11 2 dr, well it wont fit, no way, no how, not gonna happen.

Furthermore, it can't go under any of the seats, footwells, anywhere on the floor or sides or anywhere in the back cargo area so........UP is the only way!.

What do you all think about mounting it on the soundbar, dead center, facing straight down right where the dome light chills.......

Thoughts on sound?, what do you all think?......

Thanks in advance. .....!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I think it will sound like shit, will get in the way, and will look about as dumb as ass.

Most bass speaker set-ups utilize a resonance that comes from the cabinet, or from another source... like the tub or something.

I'm not sure if your box will be ported or not, but again... I don't think you're going to dig that location.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the specs for the sub, you will see that it is pretty small and is not ported. Its about the size of a 6×9 speaker but not as tall, only about 3.5".

Thanks for the advice though, dooley noted.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
That's a bad ass looking little unit... very nice. I still think that where you're planning to mount it will not yield the best results in terms of resonance/ punch but it's not at all as big as I first pictured it so it shouldn't look too out-of-place nor obstruct your view as much as I'd imagined.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it would but that space is being used for recovery and emergency items.

Im really at a crossroads here, the seller will take the sub back because I havent mounted it or ran power through it but, I really want to see if this would work....lol.

Keep opinions coming! ....

Thank you for your time.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

Im really at a crossroads here, the seller will take the sub back because I havent mounted it or ran power through it but, I really want to see if this would work....lol.

Thank you for your time.
I was thinking about your issue today, what if you hollowed out the center section of the rear seat and secured it inside the seat since it's so small with it firing down? Would there be enough room?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thank you for your time.
Put recovery/emergency stuff in a bag so it's easy to grab when you need it... chances are you will have more stuffin the back while wheeling and last thing you wanna do is dig for that...quick setup change gets you best of both worlds

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might be a little late to this party but have you thought about lifting the rear seat like the mod they do in the jku 's to gain the needed clearance

·
Registered
27 Posts
So maybe you've already mounted it, but please for the love of all that is holy, do a test fit/sound there first, because as has been said, it's gonna sound like crap. Don't make any permanent mods until you are super sure.

You will have to turn it down so much cause it's right by your ears you won't be able to hear anything else, and what you are hearing from it won't make you happy, and this is from a guy who loves, loves bass.

I have had 4 different sub setups in my 2-door so I know what a pain it is to find the right spot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't done it yet, no time.
It will not fit under front seat.
Can not raise rear seat as it mounts on a "hinge" to tip it forward and this cant be modified.

I now plan on using 3/8" mdf sheet, mount that on top of the speaker bar so it creates a "shelve" I can mount it to, between the rear speakers, just aft the dome light. This puts it behind fron seats and still ahead of rear seat. Also leaves room on the side for surface mount led lights for added lighting.

This way I dont cut into anything or modify anything beyond repair.

Unsure what I'll use to attach the mdf to speaker bar, might leave that to a stereo shop......

Stay tuned......

But it might still be a while, 12hr work days and working Saturdays and Sundays for the next few weeks......

Thanks all.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts