JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent my entire evening trying to mount my ATX Slabs to my MTR/K's and pretty much got nowhere. I got the tire over the rim no problem. Where I'm having issues is with getting the outer bead onto the wheel iip. I soaped it down and beat the living shit out of it with a rubber mallet and got nowhere. Anybody got any tricks to get this done? This is the youtube video I was using for reference. You can see where he just hits it with a rubber mallet an it goes on, no problem.

How To Mount Tires On Beadlock Wheels - YouTube To Mount Tires On Beadlock Wheels - YouTube[/url]

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
You don't want to get the tire over the outer lip...you want it to rest against it so that the ring you bolt on sandwiches the tire.

Maybe it's different with the ATX/Spyderlocks but the Racelines that I've dealt with in the pas have been extremely easy to work with. The tire falls right onto the rim with a couple of wobbles and then the outer bead sits nicely on the lip and is ready to bolt together.

Take some pictures of what you're trying to accomplish and post them up so I can get a better grasp of what you're working with.

Marcus

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
We used a flat head screwdriver to help persuade the tire, but as Marcus said post some pics so we can see what your working with

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
once you see how they go together you should have no problems... i went a bought 3 longer bolts to get the ring started and pull it into the tire and then replace them with the shorter bolts.... also make sure you have the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket that helps a lot .. good luck. nice wheel choice

i watched the video you have ...i think its easier to set the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket when you assemble it. and i didnt need a ratchet strap.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some reason my pics aren't loading properly. I do have it sitting on a bucket and that has helped. Just like the Walker Evans in the video, the slabs have a ledge that the tire bead sits on. You can see the guy in the video knocking tire on the ledge with the mallet. I've got 3/4 of the tire sitting on the ledge. The other 1/4 comes up on the rim flush against the bolt holes for the ring. I have my daughters B-Day party today so I'll try and post pics again later this evening.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still can't post pics for some reason. Anybody else got any ideas?

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
It's the rubber. Persistence and extra hands will get it done. Five guys, about five hours hours, and a ton of beer made it happen over here.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I did mine bymyself after some friends helped me steady the tire while I jumped on it to pop the first lip onto the rim...the other lip I used a flat headed screw driver and a rubber mallet...then sat in my living room while watching movies and tightened my rings on..

Should have seen it..40" tire in the middle of my living room. you would have cracked up.. hell I could have put a piece of glass on it and made it my table. lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
I used large fender washers to hold the bead down with the bead lock bolts to allow me to hammer the last 1/4 of the tire on the rim. It took about 8 washers on one, moved the washers up as the bead worked over the edge.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I finally fixed my pics..........I think. And I got one of my beadlocks mounted up. Holy fuck stix, whata PITA! I didn't have any help so It took some time. Well here's a few pics of the problem I was having. I could only get about 3/4 of the bead around the wheel and then the other side would just pop off.

This pic shows how it should look.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48868&stc=1&d=1331607783

This shows where it starts to come off.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48869&stc=1&d=1331607955

This is the side I couldn't get on.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48870&stc=1&d=1331608018

Well I took a few peoples advice and slowly started working it with a few screwdrivers, 1 to hold one side down and 2 to work in the other side. Finally go that bitch on.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48871&stc=1&d=1331608258

Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
With the wheels I used on my former rig TrailReady supplied four starter bolts, longer than the ones you'll use for the final assembly. Got the tires (IROK radials) lubed and slid onto the inner bead, then started the ring with the starter bolts 180 degrees opposite each other, or, at 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees. Slowly & evenly ran them down until I could start all the other bolts & nuts. Removed the starter bolts, got them all started, ran 'em down to specified torque, voila, done. Those were great wheels. Once set up I never found a ring bolt loose, never leaked any air in five years of use.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm gonna attempt this very soon and i can imagine the cuss words now lol.
I would have at least 3 people and 4 flat head screwdrivers. It will make your life MUCH easier.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting the tire on the rim is easy. Getting the lip (bead) around the the wheel is the shitty part. You can get half of the tire around pretty easily. Then have one person hold a flat head screwdriver down on one side and another person doing the same on the other side to keep the tire from coming back off. Then you use two screwdrivers to kinda walk the rest of the bead around the wheel.

Oh and another thing. Use soapy water to get the tire over the wheel at the beginning. But when your working the bead around keep it dry. I found that the soapy water makes the bead slip and it just keeps popping off.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My MTR Kevlars were difficult at first. I tried it like fourplyn, inside the house. I gave up and rolled them outside to lay in the sun, lubed them up with dawn soap, and they popped right into my Racelines. Didn't need starter bolts either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts