JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor has a ticking, like maybe a lifter....almost like the old Toyota sewing machine sound.

Is this common ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Motor has a ticking, like maybe a lifter....almost like the old Toyota sewing machine sound.

Is this common ?
Simple answer, No. Ticks are really hard to locate because they telegraph all over. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and go over the top end of the engine until you find it. Not there? Go all over the engine. Could be something simple or it could be a lifter, lifter rod or rocker arm. Its highly unlikely that it will go away on it's own.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Is this common ?
Is this on a 3.6 JK? If so, there are no lifters. Overhead cam (OHC) engines do not use lifters. They do use keepers that keep the rocker on the cam lobe and they do drain oil out when sitting. Usually that is the noise made by OHC engines upon startup that quickly goes away (no more than 3 seconds when the engine is cold).

If it happens at the immediate startup after sitting for 8 or so hours, it's like that on all my engines that use thin oil (5w20). It will go away after a few seconds. If not, follow sschefer's advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks.
I will be looking at Sunday (daughters ride) while she's sleeping in before work. She said its always done it, I don't remember, and I only driven it a handful of times :frown2:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Fuel injectors also make a ticking sound. Just putting that out there. Many times I have seen and heard people insist the engine is making a new sound but it is nothing more then fuel injectors opening and closing.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
run a more viscous oil than called for; this era wrangler was specified as a 5w-20 oil which doesn’t mute the various metal on metal sounds as well as a 5w-30 & up viscosity will.
CAFE requirements yielded the recommendation of such an ineffective oil viscosity and a large part of us have always run a heavier weight oil for eliminating such tickings...however, there are other things humans / owners can perceive as a ‘tick’ which is far different than a Pft or a clack but is definitely similar to a crackle or pop.

:jeep2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rain kept me in this morning, but I did get a chance to look/listen before she had to go to work.
Seems to be from the right-rear (passenger-firewall side) and I really could get to it...but here's a video (crappy one at that) and it sounds louder in video than in person.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Rain kept me in this morning, but I did get a chance to look/listen before she had to go to work.
Seems to be from the right-rear (passenger-firewall side) and I really could get to it...but here's a video (crappy one at that) and it sounds louder in video than in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIBhek07uHI
Roller rocker loose on the cam?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
OP;
I almost hear a clack of an exhaust manifold heat shield. You don’t smell exhaust really strong do you ?
..what mileage do you have on this jeep 3.6l and what year is it ? This sound just started recently?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roller rocker loose on the cam?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
yes, sounded like my old solid roller motor
OP;
I almost hear a clack of an exhaust manifold heat shield. You don’t smell exhaust really strong do you ?
..what mileage do you have on this jeep 3.6l and what year is it ? This sound just started recently?

smelled nothing abnormal
2015 JK Sport
55000 +/- miles
Daughter claims its always done it....I don't recall.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
saw 14” Off of an old mop or broom or ( as I do ) use a mini a Louisville Slugger or a quality 12” screwdriver ( u get idea ; a solid , dowel) to get down in there to granularly isolate the noise.
(edit: you press the dowel against various surfaces and 1 of your listening holes to the other end)
Unless ya got an automotive stethoscope (in-which-case I don’t s’pose you’d be asking about the noise on the forum,heh).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, update....19 y.o. daughter couldn't be without her wheels, kept making plans, and me working 6-7 days a week....NOW the ticking stopped....AND the check engine light on.

I make the 4-5 hr dive up with my trailer to pick them up.
Drive through one hell of a storm on way back from PA...not a fun ride.
Finally after hr's of fighting the valve cover...engineer should be tortured.
And it gets better...
#5 intake cam lobe wiped....just ordered a new one.
Now due to her "can't wait", she has no wheels while home from school.

Maybe she'll listen next time....doubt it.

JKcam.jpg

JKcam1.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pardon my ignorance.

What causes this with such low mileage, and what can be done to prevent it?

Is it common on the 3.6?

Edit:
This seems to me like a lubrication issue.
Obviously I could be way off base.

To clarify my question, is this a known issue, was it caused by improper maintenance?
Was/is it a design flaw?

Is it something that could be the result of over revs, or lugging the engine?

Possibly extended climbs at sever angles where oil “pick up” can be an issue?

Seems that 50k is low mileage for internal engine components to be failing.
I just hit 50k and I’m hoping for at least another 50 before I need to be concerned with stuff like this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts