JKOwners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
We have a good tune for the 480 HP engine and the automatic transmission. The 480 and 525 HP engines are GM Performance engines, not production engines so we do not have OE calibrations for them.

The 525 HP LS3 builds we have done ran manual transmissions. We loosen up the converter on the 480 HP builds and run the stock pump. I would run an upgraded in tank pump with the 525 HP engine and a high performance converter. We work with Edge Converters in California and they did a good job, the 6l80 converter is different than the old converters so you have to know what you are doing.

You may contact John at Overland for a 525 HP automatic tune to see what he offers. Running the 525 engine with an automatic transmission can have issues if you do not have a good tune. John has spent over a year on the 480 HP automatic tune and the drivability is near stock, even the idle.
Ok, it sounds like more of a undertaking than this is already going to be going with the 525. If you have worked that hard on the 480hp tune I think its going to be less of a headache to just run that. Its already gonna be crazy in a 2dr.

As far as the convertor, do I need to send that to you along with the other components when that time comes for you to work the magic on it?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
We have a good tune for the 480 HP engine and the automatic transmission. The 480 and 525 HP engines are GM Performance engines, not production engines so we do not have OE calibrations for them.

The 525 HP LS3 builds we have done ran manual transmissions. We loosen up the converter on the 480 HP builds and run the stock pump. I would run an upgraded in tank pump with the 525 HP engine and a high performance converter. We work with Edge Converters in California and they did a good job, the 6l80 converter is different than the old converters so you have to know what you are doing.

You may contact John at Overland for a 525 HP automatic tune to see what he offers. Running the 525 engine with an automatic transmission can have issues if you do not have a good tune. John has spent over a year on the 480 HP automatic tune and the drivability is near stock, even the idle.

What stall are you having put in the converters on the 480's you've done?

I'm giving Edge a call now.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
What stall are you having put in the converters on the 480's you've done?

I'm giving Edge a call now.
I'm not actually sure it converts over to a stall figure like the old converters since the 6l80 is a clutch to clutch design with a converter. If I had to pick a number it would be 2,600 but it was the most Edge wanted to go before they wanted to go with the billet housing.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
I'm not actually sure it converts over to a stall figure like the old converters since the 6l80 is a clutch to clutch design with a converter. If I had to pick a number it would be 2,600 but it was the most Edge wanted to go before they wanted to go with the billet housing.
Just got off the phone with Edge. That guy (Andrey) knows his shit. Ya, he said for the LS525 he wanted to go with the full billet converter, 2800 stall. So that's what I ordered from him.

That was one of those phone conversations where I end up wishing I was smarter..................Kind of like talking with you Robbie.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just got off the phone with Edge. That guy (Andrey) knows his shit. Ya, he said for the LS525 he wanted to go with the full billet converter, 2800 stall. So that's what I ordered from him.

That was one of those phone conversations where I end up wishing I was smarter..................Kind of like talking with you Robbie.:wink2:
What did that run and are you running an auto trans? Im right behind you on ordering stuff and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
We did a test drive with the owner today and it went great. It goes into 4 cylinder mode whenever cruising. It even did at 65 mph which is quite impressive. A tow/haul function will be wired into the old Over drive button for when he wants to disable 4 cylinder mode . The temps stayed in the 212 range and all went well. Next is to get the GM variable A/C compressor working. After that will be cruise and tap shift. Tomorrow we will be doing an off road test and I will report back with some aerial video footage.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
What did that run and are you running an auto trans? Im right behind you on ordering stuff and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
I'd feel a little silly if I bought a converter and had a manual trans. Yes, running a 6l90. Converter was $810+shipping. If you go through Edge, plan on being on the phone for a while. He wants to know everything about the vehicle and how you will use it.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
We did a test drive with the owner today and it went great. It goes into 4 cylinder mode whenever cruising. It even did at 65 mph which is quite impressive. A tow/haul function will be wired into the old Over drive button for when he wants to disable 4 cylinder mode . The temps stayed in the 212 range and all went well. Next is to get the GM variable A/C compressor working. After that will be cruise and tap shift. Tomorrow we will be doing an off road test and I will report back with some aerial video footage.
Are you running your HD rad on it?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd feel a little silly if I bought a converter and had a manual trans. Yes, running a 6l90. Converter was $810+shipping. If you go through Edge, plan on being on the phone for a while. He wants to know everything about the vehicle and how you will use it.
Hey thanks for the info and that's no prob. I am really wanting to go with the 525 hp engine. I would like to hear what you know about it so far. Who are you going to get to tune it? fuel pump?, etc.... You can PM me if you want.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
The Gen V 6.2L, L86 how does it pair with the 6L80e compared to the 6L90e?

Any idea yet on what a in shop JK 6.2L Gen V conversion would run?
One of the surprising things with the Gen V swap is it integrates so well with the JK there are economies. In addition most Gen IV 6.2's are out of production so prices are holding high while GM is cranking out the Gen V's and prices are dropping. I would look for the cost of the Gen V swap to be slightly higher at first then similar if not slightly less then the Gen IV.

·
Registered
822 Posts
As far as the convertor, do I need to send that to you along with the other components when that time comes for you to work the magic on it?
The dude ordered a torque converter, and you want to know if he is running an auto transmission?
Ahh shit, Ive been drinking this evening and didn't put 2 and 2 together. I do wanna know what it cost though.
Wow, that must have been a "Ryan Lochte" kind of night of drinking. Well look at the bright side, at least it didn't cost you five to ten million dollars in endorsement deals! Ouch!!!

And as for your first question, I think Robbie may have overlooked that one (intentionally??) so let me help you out. I am pretty sure Robbie won't need the torque converter (or is it convertor.....). All he could do with it is take it out of the box and say "Yup, that's a torque converter." There are no adjustments and you don't program the converter itself. Once the specs for the turbine and such are selected that baby is welded up and that is pretty much that. Hence the reason that Edge wants to know so much about the vehicle. Its a one and done thing. So it pays to choose wisely.

And I know you like to figure stuff out on your own, but just in case, here are a couple of tips. Don't forget to put some ATF in the converter before you install it in the bell housing. And make damn sure its fully seated onto the shaft in the bell housing. Bad shit if its not. There should be a spec for the set back when it is fully seated. Check it, its that important. (I assume there is a spec, but I have never worked on a 6L80E before so I am making an assumption.)

731 Posts
Wow, that must have been a "Ryan Lochte" kind of night of drinking. Well look at the bright side, at least it didn't cost you five to ten million dollars in endorsement deals! Ouch!!!

And as for your first question, I think Robbie may have overlooked that one (intentionally??) so let me help you out. I am pretty sure Robbie won't need the torque converter (or is it convertor.....). All he could do with it is take it out of the box and say "Yup, that's a torque converter." There are no adjustments and you don't program the converter itself. Once the specs for the turbine and such are selected that baby is welded up and that is pretty much that. Hence the reason that Edge wants to know so much about the vehicle. Its a one and done thing. So it pays to choose wisely.

And I know you like to figure stuff out on your own, but just in case, here are a couple of tips. Don't forget to put some ATF in the converter before you install it in the bell housing. And make damn sure its fully seated onto the shaft in the bell housing. Bad shit if its not. There should be a spec for the set back when it is fully seated. Check it, its that important. (I assume there is a spec, but I have never worked on a 6L80E before so I am making an assumption.)

Don't forget there are several adjustments that NEED to be done in the transmission tuning if you run an aftermarket torque converter. Things like apply ramp, regulator gain, desired slip, high speed lock, apply and release speeds, WOT apply and release. If you don't get it set up correctly you will smoke that high dollar converter and generate a ton of heat in the transmission.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
The 6l80 was designed by GM in house to maximize economy and performance. The 6l80 has a diverse gear range from 4:1 to a .6 OD. The 6l80 is a dual clutch transmission eliminating traditional hubs and bands for ultra fast shift times the likes of BMW and Porsche.

Interesting thing about the 6l80 is it has a lot in common with a manual transmission having dual clutches and software driven shifting. This makes the 6l80 much more efficient than the old 4 and 5 speed transmissions rivaling if not beating some manual transmissions due to the wider gear spread.

IMO the 6l80 is a great transmission and perfect in our heavy JK's. So far GM only rates the 8l80/90 3.5% better mpg than the 6l80 and the gear spread is similar. The 8l80/90 goes back to a more traditional transmission design but GM claims it will shift as fast or faster than the dual clutch transmissions due to new technology.

I feel there was so much improvement going from the 4l65 to the 6l80 we will only see small incremental improvements now. The old JK 4 speed and 4l80's are old technology, high friction, high heat and complex wiring harnesses. Besides the efficiency of the CAN transmissions the wire count has been reduced to a handful with the TCM inside the transmission talking over the bus. Less chance of failure and better integration.

My drive with the 6l80 in the Gen V engine proves it's versatility. In the Gen V engines the 6l80 is programmed to hold a gear longer and keep the R's up. This is most likley due to the high compression, cam phasing and Direct Injection; the engine does not need to downshift to find it's optimal rpm because this new technology has widened the optimal range. So rather then rev the engine to where the cam works the Gen V engines phase the cam to where the RPM's are. It is a different feeling and you have instant torque and pull no matter what rpm you are in the rpm range.

Don came by yesterday and took his Gen V LS JK for a spin, first time it was on the highway. Having had a Gen IV LS3 Don can describe best the differences but I know from my talk with him the Gen V 6.2 truck has similar power to the LS3 in the upper rpm range, but also has instant and powerful torque all the way down to an idle. Don says the engine ran in the 4 cylinder mode much of the time so he was driving a 3.1 liter engine getting 3.1 liter mpg; yet, when you get on it you get over 400 HP of V8 power all on regular gas.

In the meantime I still love my Gen IV 6.2/6l80. I have become accustomed to the the way it shifts and drives and it gets better mpg than my 3.8. I'll keep my 6.2 JK for the long term and already have 80,000 miles on the swap and it seems to run better everyday.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Yes, misspellings and overlooked details I can contribute to more beer than I should have drank last night. As I said I really want the 525hp 6.2 but it is not quite as "plug and play" as the 480hp and lower engines seem to be. I can swing the extra for a different convertor and more fuel but Robbie has stated in a not so direct way that they don't really have a lights out tune for it as they do the 480hp engines. Will the 6l80 hold up to the 525hp engine or should I really be looking at a 90 for this?

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Yes, misspellings and overlooked details I can contribute to more beer than I should have drank last night. As I said I really want the 525hp 6.2 but it is not quite as "plug and play" as the 480hp and lower engines seem to be. I can swing the extra for a different convertor and more fuel but Robbie has stated in a not so direct way that they don't really have a lights out tune for it as they do the 480hp engines. Will the 6l80 hold up to the 525hp engine or should I really be looking at a 90 for this?
John at Overland Performance told me to look for a 90 and not a 80, because of running a 525. I also talked to the guys at Circle D Transmissions, they said do a 90 and not the 80 when running a 525 too.

161 - 180 of 433 Posts