JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into Clark Canyon and came out +30 miles later on the Beartooth highway....

Here is the entrance to the canyon...

The trail head to leave less capable vehicles....

Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone river, tis what made the canyon...

You follow the river about 5 or 6 miles on a rocky trail then you have to climb the canyon wall...if you look you can see the road right by the river.

The are MANY switchbacks the entire road is in the pic. At every switchback except one I had to do a 3 point turn and I have a 2 door!

The trail is not very technical but if you mess up and get to close to the edge you have a heavy cost. This was the largest switchback so I took a break...

Once out of the canyon it was getting late so I pitched the tent less than an hour before dark.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess you could call this my kitchen. It was just me so no need in getting fancy...

While gathering firewood a blue grouse stepped out of the bush and volunteered to be supper....beats freeze dried food any day, it really went well with my beer that night.

Yes it is grouse season :shaking:

Recognize the rock formation from an earlier pic...and the drop off. :D

There were many miles in heavy woods in between these pics so, the pics could have been taken anywhere. When you get up to 9 or 10,000' no more trees...

I did not take any pics of Beartooth pass because I was tired and I have been there a lot...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got back on the tarmac it was an 80 mile drive back home...even though I was only 35 miles from my house if I drove back down the trial. After getting back home I was not ready to go inside so, I drove up the side of the mountains behind the house. If you look in the back you can see the entrance to Clark canyon.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Great pics! We ran this last year on Jk x
The switchbacks made my wife super nervous
But climbing 5,000 feet that quick was pretty awesome, and the views are breathtaking
Sounds like you have a blast :beer:

·
Registered
586 Posts
great pics and story! if i drive up there, can u show me those trails???

:beer::beer::beer: im gonna google grouse now...

·
Registered
586 Posts
found it

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great pics and story! if i drive up there, can u show me those trails???

:beer::beer::beer: im gonna google grouse now...
Not a problem if I'm around. However, I am sometimes not home because I work away for months at a time.

One tip, if you drive to the Rockies to go on trails like these make it late August or September. Due to heavy snow fall this year this particular trail was closed till Mid-August. The best month hands down is September in the Rockies IMO.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ok , im gonna shoot for late summer 2012

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
looks like a great little trip. I wish had geography like that around me. I think hte highest point in Harris county is the landfill in Sheldon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awesome pics. I grew up in that area, and and used to spend a lot of time in Sunlight Basin and Crandall. I used to look at that road from across the canyon and wonder if anyone ever went up it anymore. My Uncle told me he went up it in an old Cab-over Jeep truck, and had to back up every other switchback. I always thought he was pulling my leg, but maybe not. That is one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^^ Yeah, I like sunlight basin and going around on the paved road over Dead Indian pass takes about an hour to get there from my house. It is aggravating that it is really close as the crow flies. Mostly 4 wheelers and side-by-sides use the trail now. I got a few strange looks when I said I was taking my jeep up it; they just don't know.

Going up it there was only one time where my butt cheeks clinched. I got careless toward the top and got too close to the edge. I passed over some loose rock right on the edge with my outside front tire. I heard the rocks fall off the edge then realized if I went forward I'd go off the edge and I had to back up over the loose shale to get off the edge. I often cut in roads on hills with my dozer but there is a big difference between the long track and 4 little patches of tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts