JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lighting, especially headlights, has been a quietly frustrating experience for most of us. Some have gone with inexpensive halogen housing upgrades and called it good, others have dropped HID kits into halogen OEM housings hoping for better lighting. If you had the cash to spare, LED drop in or Bi-Xenon retrofits were available, but very expensive and posed some inconvenience with anti flicker harnesses or full blown isolation harnesses and ballasts. I have been weighing my options for while and had pretty much made up my mind about going with a true Bi-Xenon setup. I'm not saying this kit is inexpensive (it's not) or that it just plugs right in (it doesn't). What I can say is that when you buy this kit, it comes with everything you need and great instructions for assembly while allowing the installer to retain the OEM lights if they decide they want to keep this kit for another vehicle.

I decided this was the avenue to pursue after driving my Wife's vehicle which is equipped with this style of light and have been thoroughly impressed by the fact that it always outshines the halogens on the vehicle in front of us without blinding anyone. I was hording stock headlight assemblies to retrofit until this kit came along. I have one in my possession and will be doing an install review on here in the coming week or two. Even though this is a complete kit, this does require some minor skills such as trimming plastic and various other manipulation of materials and adhesives and some understanding of wiring so the harness makes sense. The novice could easily handle this kit with a few questions.

Here is a sneak peek of where I am with the build.

These should have outstanding light output, I opted for 50W setup. More pictures to come including comparison shots with KC and Truck-Lite Gen 2 outputs...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I kind of regret not going with the 50W setup :nono: Not that I'm lacking light but more is always better...

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took all of the components out to the garage tonight for a test fire to make sure it all works before I install it this weekend. Holy shit, this will be a mod I won't regret. The light was so white and even I think you could honestly drive with just one. The quality is great, the ballasts were faster than anything i've used besides my Wife's CX-5, but those are Denso ballasts which is not a surprise. Cannot wait to see these installed.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
We have a solution that doesn't require any mods to your JK.

Two options are available:

1) Build them yourself - you can save a considerable amount of money if you reuse your stock lenses and do the work yourself. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163777

2) Buy a set ready to install - these are built by us, shipped to you ready to go with any custom mods that you'd like. http://hidprojectors.com/product.php?type=1

Here are a couple of customer pics to show what can be done:
Dude whats with the spamming?

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Is this considered spam? Simply stating that we have a product too. If so, I'll gladly edit/remove the post.
The OP isnt selling a product nor is he asking for input on what kits are out there. He has chosen a particular kit and is trying to share his experiences of it. Your post comes off as a complete derail to just promote your product.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, your post with the picture bomb is a bit much, Tom. A simple "Hey, we offer a kit like that too, check it out - insert link here -!" would have been barely okay, considering this is my review of a competing product.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood guys, thanks for the feedback - deleted the post. My apologies.
Thank you, Tom, for being mindful of my thread.

Back to topic.

I got the shrouds finished and this is what they'll look like...

I did get the lenses baked on last night, however, I had a major issue with one of the two housings. They use a brass nutsert that is anchored into the housing to fasten the projector into the bucket. When I was pressing the second lens into that housing, the brass nutserts on one side came apart (cheap brass apparently) so now I have to bake the housing apart again and remove the shroud (epoxy'd) to inspect the damage and decide if I want to bypass the factory nutserts and just bolt the projector into the bucket or see about a replacement from TRS. Someone else on their forum indicated this had happened to them as well, so I am a little concerned about that portion of this assembly. Keep in mind that this is a NEW product and design, so I knew I could have problems being a Beta.

When I have a moment, i'll upload a picture on the one finished unit.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been looking at them scene they came out . I was under the impression they where pre assembled .
They assemble the projector/housing in house and ship the shrouds and lenses loose for final assembly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The space behind the passenger-side headlamp sure was tight with the wire loom and power steering reservoir. What a pain it was to get everything through there.

The shrouds look good JKCTAZ!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts