JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy and I decided to drive up transfer trail to the flat tops sunday afternoon. What an adventure. From dry..to deep steep mud...to snow...then more snow after getting turned around during blizzard conditions. This is why we take tents and sleeping bags for our sunday drives!

Headed up the mtn

mid mountain break

Scenic shot...glenwood in the back ground. I can still see my house! And me trying not to bust my ass in the slick as snot mud.

hit snow about 9K feet up

Windy point and super pucker factor. Now, we are in the clouds here. You cant see it but that road drops about 1,000 feet down into the ravine.

up on top in the flats...about 10,800 feet. It like a different world up here after living in the valley below. You can go from glenwood to wyoming if you want to..

last pic...and after getting turned around...and getting somewhat lost.Almost getting ready to pull the tents out and wait till morning. The storm came in. busting 12" drifts .Gave a few hunters a ride back to a camp and they helpes us out . Currently...there are 3 hunters lost in this very same trail. Still havn't found them.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That snow can come on fast. Good lesson about taking equipment and being prepared here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yikes I was driving through Glenwood area Sunday afternoon and it was getting bad. Glad I didn't hang around. Heard they closed 70 later. Find the hunters yet?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
yeah, thats what i am wondering, losing people is never good, especially if its in a fuckin blizzard.... wow that sucks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nice pics, would love to live there!
x2. I'm also very jealous you guys are allready getting snow. Hope the hunters made it out ok.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just an update about the hunters...they found them today. A national guard black hawk spotted them. from what i heard they were ok. Airlifted to Grand Junction Hospital. News didnt say where or how they were lost. i dont know how they survived honestly. I took that last pic about 8:30 sunday night...and it snowed until this morning. for all i know we drove right past them.

The trail is really easy for the most part. Off the main dirt road you can take hundreds of trails some winding around for 50 miles or more.Alot of mud holes and hundreds of lakes. Pretty neat since the trail starts right in the middle of town pretty much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love these kind of trips! im so jealous even on the MT/canada border we only have snow way up on the mtns...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i miss glenwood i used to spend my summers there as a kid.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Crazy

Wish I was somewhere near an area like that! It just seems unthinkable that there is snow on the ground somewhere. Florida is not all it is cracked up to be. :shaking:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I was somewhere near an area like that! It just seems unthinkable that there is snow on the ground somewhere. Florida is not all it is cracked up to be. :shaking:
HA...we already have almost 3 feet of snow in the high country. I love colorado. It was 60degress in town then drive up the mountain and have a foot of snow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The photos of snow are great.
Hey the hurricanes missed us Floridians this year.. the snow looks great, I will be in Tennesee for over a week in December- I hope for snow then too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would hit the Yampah hot springs pool and warm up after a trip like that! :beer:
THX for the pics. I lived there for 8 years...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts