JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I hate the look of the plastic air dam/fake skid on my JK. I have the Mopar Off Road bumper and was looking to get rid of that air dam but would also like to add some protection if its needed.

Does the removal of air dam cause the hood flutter I keep reading about?
Do I need some sort of protection/skid there?

I saw this for the OEM bumper, but not finding anything that really works. Has anyone tried this Skid Row on their Mopar off road bumper?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I got rid of my air dam when I put the mopar winch bumper on. I didn't start getting hood flutter until after the lift went on. I've been told to take the spring by the front hood latch off & the flutter should go away. Haven't had time to try it yet. But about 3.5 years w/out the air dam and no real problems.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
x2 ripped it off about a week after i got the jeep. i also cut out the crash bar that is underneath.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Thanks! is that skid worth the coinage or do you think the Rugged Ridge one would do the trick also?

or no skid at all?
I personally would definitely run a skid! I don't know if the Rugged Ridge one works with the Mopar bumper or not, I personally would go with the Mopar one since it is designed to fit. As to worth the coinage, I can't say for certain, I bought one when I bought my JK but, it's still in the box since I decided to go a different route. I can tell you it must be well built, the box is HEAVY!!! :D I'd sell you mine but, I am gonna be looking to sell it with the Mopar bumper since I bought that too when I bought the Jeep (the bumper still isn't here yet, it's on nationwide backorder). I decided to get a PSC Brawler lite front bumper and skid.

Check around and see if you can get it cheaper than that Quadratec price, looks like GRIZZLY47 can do some hookups on Mopar parts, I'd check with him, or any of the other vendors on here and see what they can do for you! (I can't seem to find my receipt but, I swear the Jeep dealer near me only charged like $250 for it)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I removed the air dam when i put the mopar bumper on. I had only gotten the hood flutter twice before, and that with with the airdam and the stock bumper. I put a piece of 1/2 square tube under the core support for the hood latch. never got the flutter again.

any skid that will work with a factory bumper will work with the mopar bumper.
Rugged Ridge, AEV, Mopar, Skid Row... which i think is kinda stupid looking with all that laser cutting in it. i think it defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
877 Posts
That plastic piece of crap was one of the first things that went. Hood flutter, you bet, got a pair of Daystar Wranglers -http://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_510.htm, great investment, 10 minute install

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah the plastic has to go, its weight saving and that's about it. and mopar isnt worth the coin, its normally rebranded from someone else anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts