JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to clarify some mis-leading info that I've seen in other forums about the factory tow hitch...inspite of MOPAR describing the hitch as 3500#/350# tongue weight blah...blah...blah...you need to read further, that what they are saying is that with weight distributing , it could tow that much, but they (MOPAR) goes on to say that otherwise, (in the abscence of weight distributing equipment), the hitch is rated at 2000 lbs...Clearly a Class I hitch. Now, go to the Jeep.com web page and build yourself a JK, add the hitch, and you will see, clear as a bell, that the hitch you ordered is indeed a Class I...bottom line...don't order it...way over priced, and a real Class III hitch from any one of the reputable manufacturers can be had for less then a hundred dollars.:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
how much does the MOPAR cost? I got the Rugged Ridge receiver for like $80 and actually found it close to $60 on another website lastnight!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oooopssss...................

how much does the MOPAR cost? I got the Rugged Ridge receiver for like $80 and actually found it close to $60 on another website lastnight!

Should have read my comments on Rugged Ridge products...a lot of what they have made (In China, Mexico, the Phillipines, etc) are cheaply made knockoffs of other manufacturer product lines...they copy other's work, and do a poor job of it...that said, your hitch is not even tow rated...you needed to read the fine print before you bought that hitch...it's a fair to midlin copy of the MOPAR hitch...for $20.00 more, you could have gotten a Class III hitch like a Hidden Hitch, or Reese, or any other hitch maker with a reputation and experience...I would not hook anything up to a Rugged Ridge hitch unless it's a bike rack...I'd return it or chuck it, and consider it a lesson learned.;)

P.S. MOPAR hitch is Class I, and costs about $160.00...monumental waste of money
Hidden Hitch Class III version for a Wrangler JK is $99.00

Go to www.etrailer.com

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Do you know its not tow rated or are you going off a website like Quadratec? Just curious.

I spoke with Omix directly and they said it has the same rating as the Mopar and some websites list it with the same tow rate as the OEM receiver, 2000 lbs.

Figured I beat the hell out of their rock rails, their front bumper as survived many winching and wacks on the rock ledges, lets hope the receiver is the same.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know its not tow rated or are you going off a website like Quadratec? Just curious.

I spoke with Omix directly and they said it has the same rating as the Mopar and some websites list it with the same tow rate as the OEM receiver, 2000 lbs.

Figured I beat the hell out of their rock rails, their front bumper as survived many winching and wacks on the rock ledges, lets hope the receiver is the same.

I too spoke with those jokers...they admitted it was not tow rated...reputable web merchants who sell this disreputable product will also state that on their web page...BTW, your instruction/install sheet that came with your hitch also says the same thing...NOT TOW RATED.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I shall speak with them again. I stood out in their parking lot talking to them as it was put on and they said it was tow rated like the Mopar one and I described the trailer I was towing this weekend so they know it is being used to tow.

Either way, that is some good info you provided in this thread. See I would have thought the receiver from Mopar was good to go for 3500 lbs since the 4dr is rated at that. I didnt know any different till just the other day.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am confused. How can a hitch not be tow rated? Isn't that what they are used for. How can Jeep sell the oem tow package and the jeep is rated to tow 3500 and put something less on there. This is starting to make my head hurt.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I ordered the OEM from 4WD.com and they called me on the phone and told it was a P.O.S. and upgraded me to a better one. I will try to find the paperwork for the new one so I can make sure what it is rated at. But I was happy they called instead of just sending me a cheap made in china. They covered my A$$ when I should have done my own homework. :shaking:

And by the way they are the ones that told me about this forum. So that is twice they have helped me out.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
well I just got through making a 300 mile round trip with a trailer of probably 2k lbs and has no issues with my Rugged Ridge receiver. I checked it frequently and inspected it tonight and there are no cracks or other signs of stress points on it anywhere. I didnt figure there would be, the guys face to face told me it was good for towing and with the good experience I have with their bumper and side rails I had no doubt.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Should have read my comments on Rugged Ridge products...a lot of what they have made (In China, Mexico, the Phillipines, etc) are cheaply made knockoffs of other manufacturer product lines...they copy other's work, and do a poor job of it.
funny, everything I have ever used of theirs was surprisingly well made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are many more things to consider than just the hitch when you want to tow. I think that one of the main things that you should think about when you pull is the amount of weight you want to tow. Sure you can pull 3500 LBS with a JK but can you stop it. Braking ability is one of the things that a manufacturer considers when they rate their tow package. There are a multitude of factors involved in the final weight rating a vehicle gets from the manufacturer. Wheelbase, center of gravity, stopping distance, power, vehicle dynamics all play a part in the determination of the rating. It's one of the reasons why a 2DR is rated less than a 4DR. If you want to pull 3500 with a 2DR, go right ahead, but please let me know your route so I won't be in front of you.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
If you want to pull 3500 with a 2DR, go right ahead, but please let me know your route so I won't be in front of you.
I gotta say it is true regardless of what anybody says, especialy once you add a lift and tires.

I just moved from Seattle to Denver. I have a 2 dr with about 3" of lift and 35's. I packed all my crap into a single axel Uhaul trailer rated at about 2000 lb. I had it loaded at or just above that. For the most part it was a decent drive. Little did I know that I left the West coast just behind a large weather system that moved across all the states just in front of me and I would soon catch up to it. While the roads where dry and there was no wind I thought, well hell, this will be an easy trip. In Idaho I caught up with the storm. For about 700 miles I was pulling this trailer on ice/packed snow freeways in 50 mph winds daytime and nightime. It was white knuckle the whole drive through this blizzard. It was all I really could do to keep it in a lane with the crosswinds on the snow, there really was not enough weight in the Jeep to keep it on the road. If I had to stop in an emergency there would be little I could do but try and avoid whatever it was. Which happened a couple of times. truckers where wrecking all over the place, it was bad enough in Wyoming they shut down the freeway for 4 hours. I did lose control twice. The first was the worse.I was completley out of control at 50 mph. I was at the mercy of the weight of the trailer as I spun left then right then left...I recovered but the whole time I pictured hitting something, at 50, with a 2000 lbd trailer, my jeep laying on its side in the freeway with a split open uhaul trying to get all my stuff off the freeway, in a Blizzard.

Moral of this long ass rant... In good conditions pulling a bunch of weight with a 2 dr is probably no big deal. But you never know what you will encounter. If you do this, be prepared to sack up, risk your life and battle mother nature as you white knuckle fight your way down the freeway.

Needless to say, next time I tow across country will be in the summer!

I din't have a chance to take any pictures while I was in the blizzrd but here is a couple leading up to it...

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
btw, for what it is worth, I was pulling with a OEM hitch I bought from MichaelW. I was curious to pay close attention to the results as I plan on towing a few more times long distance with this rig. I closley inspected everything when I left. Even took a couple of measurments and checked the square of everything. While it was only about 2000lbs, the hitch took a beating. It was jerked on, went with me on some unplanned spins, was jerked over ice and snow at freeway speeds, etc.

There was not a single bend, warp, crack or anything I could tell on the OEM hitch or that rear mounting rail on the Jeep. I would be confident to use this equipment unless there is variance in the quality these where produced in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a result of this thread I called Jeep and gave them my VIN number. They said that if the window sticker said Trailer Tow Group, the hitch is rated for 3,500#s. But, of course, I think I was talking to India and I was put on hold for 15 minutes for the answer the question. He was probably calling back to the U.S. for the answer. Not much confidence, but something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, On the Jeep.com site choose shopping tools. There is a towing capacity section.

The 2 door is 2000# and the 4 door is 3500#

I hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts