JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about the rest of you but money is just a little tight for me and it seems to be getting a tighter. So I thought I would start a thread where people could post suggestions and ask questions about what works/saves money and what doesn't.

I'll start with a question about solar screens. Does anybody use them and do they work? I live in a desert and air conditioning bills can get high in the summertime.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I feel your pain , but this is what I learned so far , everytime we cut back the use or the money on something , the price of what we do need keeps getting higher , so even all the stuff we tried , we still just keep breaking even

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quit dining out and my food bills have plummeted. I sometimes treat myself on the weekends.

I pre-pack different foods using these:

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx?SizeName=Extra Small Bowl

I buy a whole rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club, let it cool in the fridge and then separate the meat from the bones and connective tissue. (I also remove the skin and as much fat as possible but that's a weight control/health issue.) I get about 5-6 oz of chicken per bowl and usually 5 bowl. 1 chicken is $5 s that's 5 convenient meal's per week. Add a bowl of wild rice or veggies and another item and those meals cost me less than $3/each. The bowls are also good for imitation crab meat, shrimp and tuna. Plus I've lost 35 Lbs since October.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I quit dining out and my food bills have plummeted. I sometimes treat myself on the weekends.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx?SizeName=Extra Small Bowl

I buy a whole rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club, let it cool in the fridge and then separate the meat from the bones and connective tissue. (I also remove the skin and as much fat as possible but that's a weight control/health issue.) I get about 5-6 oz of chicken per bowl and usually 5 bowl. 1 chicken is $5 s that's 5 convenient meal's per week. Add a bowl of wild rice or veggies and another item and those meals cost me less than $3/each. The bowls are also good for imitation crab meat, shrimp and tuna. Plus I've lost 35 Lbs since October.
shit 35 lbs that sound like what I need to do thank you for the tips

and I don't know anything about saving all I make goes to pay for the jeep ($900) and jeep parts ($$$$) jeep insurance monthly ($240) gas ones a week ($65-$75) drinking ones a week ($100-$150) food always ordering at work per week ($50-$80) :bawling::bawling::bawling: I am looking forward for this thread need to know how to save for 60's :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

this. being in college i eat alot, but save alot by rarely eating out. i do the same thing with the chicken. ramen noodles, frozen veggies, and alot of dried rice and beans. papa johns also runs their large pizza for $5 and i can make that 2 meals pretty easy.

and if you must eat out get water instead of tea or coke. its like trying to have a lighter jeep. all the little stuff adds up

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

We kinda do the same thing. We aren't using a wholesaler like Sam's Club or Costco yet, but instead of the baggies, we make use of a Foodsaver vacuum packer and pre pack large quantities of meats. I even throw in marinades and seasonings on somethings so when I thaw it out, its all ready to go....:beer:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
shit 35 lbs that sound like what I need to do thank you for the tips

and I don't know anything about saving all I make goes to pay for the jeep ($900) and jeep parts ($$$$) jeep insurance monthly ($240) gas ones a week ($65-$75) drinking ones a week ($100-$150) food always ordering at work per week ($50-$80) :bawling::bawling::bawling: I am looking forward for this thread need to know how to save for 60's :grinpimp:
Quit drinking onCe a week and you can pay my Jeep payment :grinpimp:
I really need to quit going out to lunch every day at work, but at the same time getting out of the place is a great way to destress halfway through the day. But still about $50 a week a could trim down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts