JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the weekend I ran (for the first time) the old Mojave road with my neighbor (yellow TJ) and his Dad ('65 Land Rover). The trail is 138 Miles, We ran it from east (Colorado River) to west (Barstow). The trail is easily passable in a stock 4x4. The recent rains in SoCal made Soda Dry Lake not so dry and The Mojave River crossing was fun too. BTW the Soda lake crossing was over 4 1/2 miles of mud up to about a foot deep in spots!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I had one eye on the door sills and nothing! The Land Rover got some though, but not too bad.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
That is the closest I have seen to someone in socal actually almost needing a snorkel. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm going to do old Mojave road one of these days. :beer:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Wash that mud off quick, it's really hard on your paint. That lake bed is nasty when wet. :beer:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Been thinking about making this run. How long did the trip take?
You can do it in a day, it's about 130 miles. But I have found that 3 days is about right for me. It leaves plenty of time to explore.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That looks like a great trip. I want to try that some day.:bounce::beer:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That is the closest I have seen to someone in socal actually almost needing a snorkel. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm going to do old Mojave road one of these days. :beer:
This is why I need to get rid of my CAI. What a waste of money.:shaking:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If anyone is going to do this trip, I recommend Dennis Casebier's book you can order here;

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/mtdennis.html

Great book and history of the area. Really adds to the trip. Take a side trip to the Kelso Station. It was updated a bit ago and is really nice; they even have food service.

And here is a link to the water crossing level:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=10263000
Absolutely don't go without dennis's book. I had a copy of the original which is about twice as big as the current version. The story of the battle at Marl Spring is amazing.
Thanks for the water link. Very cool! :beer:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dang thats cool. I did this trail on dirtbike a few years ago and had a blast. We rode straight in to Laughlin and stayed a day, then we rode back to Barstow. Are there good camping spots along the way?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
If anyone is going to do this trip, I recommend Dennis Casebier's book you can order here;

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/mtdennis.html

Great book and history of the area. Really adds to the trip. Take a side trip to the Kelso Station. It was updated a bit ago and is really nice; they even have food service.

And here is a link to the water crossing level:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=10263000
Interesting read about the author. This looks like it would be a good time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That place looks and sounds fun.

One question though, what makes the ground look all white? At first I thought it was snow or something.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is a great trip for whatever amount of time you have. I have done it quite a few times and we usually camp three nights on the trail. Things change trip to trip and you can make interesting side trips. Good times.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Dang thats cool. I did this trail on dirtbike a few years ago and had a blast. We rode straight in to Laughlin and stayed a day, then we rode back to Barstow. Are there good camping spots along the way?
Quite a few. Balancing rock (primitive camp)is near the start of the trail near the Colorado. Mid Hills (USFS, running water, crappers, fees etc) is a nice mid way stop. Marl Spring (primitive) has cool views. Afton Canyon (BLM) is a good way to end it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts