JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to finish my modular trunk. The whole purpose of this build was to:
1) Be able to use the 3 configurations of the back seat/trunk area at any time, any place (not leaving various trunk pieces anywhere other than my trunk).
2) no tools required to change to any configuration.
3) use only material I could find at the store (no welding, etc)
4) do it all quickly.

I mostly accomplished my goals, even though its not quite perfect. Not too surprising, since I subscribe to the "Measure once, cut many times" theory :thefinger:

Ok, the pics, we'll do the meat first, potatoes after:

Trunk with the seat up, so friends can ride with me:

The unused pieces in the trunk:

The seat folded forward and up, for more storage room:

The unused pieces in the trunk:

The default position, rear seat folded down, all trunk pieces installed:

Not quite empty trunk:

A couple more angles of the fully assembled trunk:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Potatoes time:

Various bits of wood, post sealant:

Measuring for the carpeting:

Dead wood:

I used 2 garage door weather stripping bands all over the damn place. The middle part went between the metal brackets and the jeep (see 2nd pic) and the top and bottom pieces are between any 2 pieces of wood.

Measuring the rubber that will go under the metal bracket:

To help keep the 2 pieces of plywood level, I used 2 spring loaded hinge door brackets a few angle brackets per pair of plywood.
Notches for the brackets:

Brackets!!

I used Bicycle seat-post quick disconnect bolts to hold the wood to the metal side brackets:

Staples were used liberally (approx 750 of them). The rubber edging is more garage door weather proofing strip...cut up:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bracket and bold I used for the front pieces. Comes apart in 2 seconds :):

The only part that didn't quite work are the 2 pieces behind the front seats. They don't fit in the trunk with the rear seat up for passengers. :what?: I'll have to figure something out for that...

Not being a handy-man/tradesman/carpenter by *any* stretch, I think it turned out pretty good. There's no trunk movement (flapping or vibration) on the highway, the front and rear third pieces are pretty sturdy and can hold some decent weight and it looks fairly decent :cool:

Any questions/comments?

All images:
http://imgur.com/a/dzCMJ#jDatr

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice set up! :beer:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice, I like it. Its a homemade jeep tonneau cover.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it looks good, kind of wish you could have figured out a better way to trim the edges ..... that is one hell of alot of staples. :beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you did a GREAT job!! Are you selling the plans because I would be interested in buying them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you did a GREAT job!! Are you selling the plans because I would be interested in buying them.
Nope, not selling, but, ask away and I'll tell you anything you'd want to know. The design is public domain for individuals making it for themselves. :beer:

isoyeti said:
...kind of wish you could have figured out a better way to trim the edges ..... that is one hell of alot of staples.
I know, believe me, I know, heh! I'm open to suggestions/improvements :beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank You for your Reply, I will look at your pictures again and see how you built it, and then I will turn my husband loose to build it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agreed - home spun friggin' rocks! If I've noticed one constant theme with the majority of folks on this site, they (and me) will take functionality and durability over beauty every time. Seems beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyways. For a " by no stretch" carpenter, etc. my opinion is you killed it. Think of it as a prototype (and a damn good one), and they had a bunch of those for space shuttles and whatnot before they were ever "perfect" by anyone's measure. I knew those were bicycle parts 'cuz I thought one of those quick-releases looked like a Specialized emblem, even if its not, it made them all pop out at me (you know a light bulb moment).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts