JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All pics can be found here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1114...ms/5805935502015234545?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

A little over a month ago, I had my first opportunity to experience Moab. I set out with Jack (Avenger) and a father/son pair riding in a Bronco Buggie:

As a side note, the buggie showed EVERYONE up on this trip. It was built right and the drivers knew what they were doing. Awesome guys to go wheeling with too!!!

We got there on a Sunday and had enough time to run Moab rim. Sorry, I didn’t really take any pictures on this one but I will tell you that I almost pooped myself on the Z turn. I made a rookie move and hit the brakes coming off the ledge. I had my passenger rear tire about 4 feet in the air and almost rolled it. Jack started yelling: “GO GO GO.” Let off the brake and rolled right out. Lesson learned.

The next day we actually met up with a large group from Canada (Winnipeg Hardcore Off Road Enthusiasts) and wheeled with them for the rest of the trip. The group had one JK (Justin) and the rest were almost all buggies. Justin’s father took all of the pics for the rest of this trip.

As a very large group, we decided to run Hell’s Revenge. Definitely interesting to see an H1 wheeling. Had a few break downs along the way but all in all, was pretty cool

Tuesday, the group split up. The three JKs and 3 buggies ran Prechett. Apparently, this trail has gotten significantly harder recently because the people who have done it before were surprised with some of the obstacles. We had a buggie roll on the first obstacle and I was one of the next vehicles to run it. Definitely was a clinching moment.

All the JKs ended up winching rocker knocker. I took a look at the bypass for Rocker Knocker and it has become almost as hard as the obstacle itself! At the end, all the JKs decided to take the long way out and damn its long. The buggies turned around and ran it in reverse. They were all home and showered before we even made it off the trail.

Wednesday was my last day and we went to run Green Day in Area BFE. Area BFE is pretty cool and its huge. You could easily spend an entire day there just playing around.

In short, as most of you already know, MOAB IS AWESOME. Sorry for the lack of cohesion between the commentary and the pics but Google’s image host still has some things to work out in my opinion. You can see a TON of pics in the link posted at the beginning.

Lastly, Justin is also making videos from the trip so here is the first installment:
Winnipeg Hardcore Off Road Enthusiasts & Friends Moab Day 1 Hells Revenge - YouTube

Second installement:
Days 2-5 Winnipeg Hardcore Off Road Enthusiasts & Friends Moab Utah - YouTube

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Seeing buggies in action is fun. I bet you were puckered on a couple of those. :) Good report.
Pucker is an understatement. If I can give any noob one word of advice, its bring extra underwear...just in case.

It was very cool to see the JKs perform almost as well as the buggies almost everywhere. There were a few spots where I was more hesitant because of body damage where these guys would go balls to the wall.

One of the buggies had "Crazy French" painted on the side and the driver lived up to every bit of that title.

Pat are you back in commission yet?

· It never ends...
2,904 Posts
Pat are you back in commission yet?
The JK's do well, they are just big and heavy. When hanging with buggy people its always amusing to see them amazed at what "street" vehicles can do.

Yep. Rex is running well--haven't put on the bigger axles yet. Since the last gear change, I haven't been twisted them, and they have seen hard trails. Bob says he did them "his way" and I can't argue with success. So I'll wait a bit to modify Rex. I want to get down to Penrose this year yet again and play.

TnT is doing "001" right now which will be a lot like Rex--but on 40's, and with a dual triangulated rear set up (moving the gas tank). TnT is trying to capture all the lessons learned by my abusing Rex, and making a rig "done right the first time". Then I'll have the two that can do the really obnoxious trails. That should be finished by WOTR.

TnT just finished my wifes Dozer rig. Finally I am building a 2dr--kind of a medium/large build. That should be done Jan.

So, I'm ready for any trail any level. Let's go! And when 001 is done, I'll give you the choice of driving either Rex or 001....

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Awesome! I am going to either Moab or the Rubicon after I graduate...can't wait!

· Registered
6,230 Posts
He's the black 4dr on 37's. Second pic from the top.

I did Hell's Revenge in the XK in August and while I used a couple of the bypasses (obviously) it was still a blast. I can't wait to get back there in the JK. There's some really beautiful country out that way.

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The JK's do well, they are just big and heavy. When hanging with buggy people its always amusing to see them amazed at what "street" vehicles can do.

Yep. Rex is running well--haven't put on the bigger axles yet. Since the last gear change, I haven't been twisted them, and they have seen hard trails. Bob says he did them "his way" and I can't argue with success. So I'll wait a bit to modify Rex. I want to get down to Penrose this year yet again and play.

TnT is doing "001" right now which will be a lot like Rex--but on 40's, and with a dual triangulated rear set up (moving the gas tank). TnT is trying to capture all the lessons learned by my abusing Rex, and making a rig "done right the first time". Then I'll have the two that can do the really obnoxious trails. That should be finished by WOTR.

TnT just finished my wifes Dozer rig. Finally I am building a 2dr--kind of a medium/large build. That should be done Jan.

So, I'm ready for any trail any level. Let's go! And when 001 is done, I'll give you the choice of driving either Rex or 001....
Sounds like you are all set. I hear mumblings of doing Carnage but I will let you know if they ever turn into an actual plan...

Curious, which rig is yours?
He's the black 4dr on 37's. Second pic from the top.
Sorry, yep mine is the black 4 door. Jack (Avenger) is the red 2 door and Justin as mentioned has the silver 4 door.

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Nice report!

I was there about a month before you. First time as well and had a blast.

I took a wrong turn and got to do both Rocker Knocker and the bypass... both of them. Why both.... they weren't as hard as they looked. Rocker Knocker just has a weird line and if you don't get it, you gotta start over.

Pictures are great, thanks for sharing.

Oh.... stop wheeling with buggies. Just a bit of advice before you fall into a trap. :)

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice report!

I was there about a month before you. First time as well and had a blast.

I took a wrong turn and got to do both Rocker Knocker and the bypass... both of them. Why both.... they weren't as hard as they looked. Rocker Knocker just has a weird line and if you don't get it, you gotta start over.

Pictures are great, thanks for sharing.

Oh.... stop wheeling with buggies. Just a bit of advice before you fall into a trap. :)
I tried Rocker Knocker several times. After watching only one buggy make it from the group, I decided that it wasnt worth the chance of rolling. Also, it didnt help that Justin decided to say "You saw the video of the JK rolling here last year right?"

Didnt get a chance to run the bypass.

And yes I can see how wheeling with buggies can get you into a little bit of trouble :)

Signature worthy
Thank you

· It never ends...
2,904 Posts
Sounds like you are all set. I hear mumblings of doing Carnage but I will let you know if they ever turn into an actual plan...
Excellent.

Yeah, you dont need no stinking buggies. You have us!

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
I tried Rocker Knocker several times. After watching only one buggy make it from the group, I decided that it wasnt worth the chance of rolling. Also, it didnt help that Justin decided to say "You saw the video of the JK rolling here last year right?"

Didnt get a chance to run the bypass.

And yes I can see how wheeling with buggies can get you into a little bit of trouble :)
All trouble, all the time. Peer pressure sucks when you are running with rigs way more capable than your's. And I don't know about your buddies, but mine seem to want to make the little JK that might, do! lol

Yeah.... it was very tippy on the end where you make the turn out to get up on that rock.... I think most of us put a saftey line on, but now.... I don;t think it was really necessary. Now the real line to worry about..... straight up. I think two of my buddies took that route, one successful, one not so.

I can't wait to go again.... thanks again for the report!!

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All trouble, all the time. Peer pressure sucks when you are running with rigs way more capable than your's. And I don't know about your buddies, but mine seem to want to make the little JK that might, do! lol

Yeah.... it was very tippy on the end where you make the turn out to get up on that rock.... I think most of us put a saftey line on, but now.... I don;t think it was really necessary. Now the real line to worry about..... straight up. I think two of my buddies took that route, one successful, one not so.

I can't wait to go again.... thanks again for the report!!
I think the peer pressure was good for me. Made me do a lot more stuff that I might not have tried.

One buggie tried the straight up line, didnt get it though and things got really tippy, def worth the saftey line for me at least.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.