JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rock God
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were starting with a clean slate on the kind of build a typical person would (meaning not a "I won the lottery!" build but more real world), what kind of JK would you build for Moab/EJS? Would you go with a two-door for some short wheelbase excitement, or a four-door so the family and/or friends could tag along? Keep things simple, bolt on some 35s and stick to the easier trails, or go for 39s and take on some real challenges? Where would you put money so reliability/breakage wouldn't be a concern? Would you go with a manual trans or automatic?

·
Registered
198 Posts
2012+ 4Dr Auto Rubi or Non-Rubi, but I'd want the Rubi T/C and Frt D44 bomb proofed axle and gears for 37" PBRs (I'm the guy that would drive there and back, so I'd want 4.88s probably)....... U could stay with the 32 spline shafts and upgrade to chromo and keep the stocks for spares.......But I'd also think about running 35 spine in the rear at least (especially if it wasn't a rubi rear) and trussed. Suspension wise, I'd go MetalCloak 3.5" w/ long travel or FOX shocks. Cage and harnesses for safety, either bolt-in rock hard or weld in synergy or PS.... a lot depends on the budget of the "average" person. Cause you also have to consider Steering too... I would do ram assist like I have now for sure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That is too hard a question without a budget, or knowing how much of a second you can get for your house.

For me, I would be looking for a good quality lift, skid plates, 35's or 37's and work it from there. Get appropriate gearing, and that would be a good start for a budget build.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd like to think that my current build is my dream build. Just not finished yet.

I have really enjoyed the Skunkwerks simple builds. The Rubicon King, Porkchop, Stitch, and Shortcut. So simplifying things has been my goal. Lightweight, at least for a JK, and a manual transmission. I think that 35's on a 2 door is ideal. And that combination has been a success at Moab for decades. A 44 up front and rear should be just fine once the Jeep has shed some pounds, unless you get really wild. I'd go pretty low with the gears in the axles. I love driving a manual, but I hate constantly having to slip the clutch. So basically to spell it all out.

Trail Leader Axle Package that I just saw that you guys have with 5.13
I would only go with a 2" lift, but better links than factory is the key
Shaved off front and rear bumpers, only recovery points and something to fill between frame rails
No fenders. Plastic doesn't belong on the outside of a Jeep. And they aren't necessary for a trail rig.
Gut the interior. Carpet, seats, roll bar and padding, center console, all of it goes.
Put a good, but simple cage in it, and some suspension seats that are a lot lighter than stock
Finish it off with some 35" Trepador Bias Plys on 15" hot rod rims.

That's my goal at least. It won't break the bank. And it should wheel well and be a ton of fun. It's not always about being the biggest and baddest.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've been to EJS and no matter how you build a JK, there will be hundreds more just like it there. Next time I'll be bringing my '61 Willys wagon just to have a different experience.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Build a 2 door on 35's. Built 4 doors are a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Build a 2 door on 35's. Built 4 doors are a dime a dozen.
can't swing a dead cat at the mall without hitting a "built" 4 door.

But for Moab, the 4 door wheel base is a big deal. I have wheeled Moab twice with a quite a few different rigs and the longer wheelbase rigs have an advantage for sure.

Stretch that 2 door and put 37's on it and you've got a nice machine :grin2:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I love about 2 1/2 hours from Moab and am there probably ten times a year. With only a few exceptions like Pritchett Canyon or some of the stuff at private Area BFE you can run the majority of the trails with a stock Rubicon, maybe a 2" lift with 35s. A couple examples, I installed an AEV 2.5" kit on a club member's JKUR, she had 33" MTR/Ks and spacers installed the next day. A couple days later she came with us and ran Behind The Rocks without missing a lick. Last spring I led a group on Golden Spike. One guy had a late JK Sport 4dr on a 2" puck lift and 33s. He made it all the way through with no lockers, only skipping Double Whammy. IOW, no need to overbuild for Moab fun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would build this with junk yard 1tons..like I am doing now lol I'm the process of building my dream jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I would continue with my current build of a 15 JKUR auto. With a real world budget I am saving for Poison spyder fenders, corners, and Dyna 60s with arbs and 513s for 37-39" tires.
The current parts list is as follows, Rockhard4x4, Synergy, Fox, Poison Spyder, LoD, RCV, X-Factor, EBC, and Warn. Along with some tuffy stuff to keep things secure.

Slow process but Ill get there one day. The build that is. Been to Moab.

·
Registered
841 Posts
can't swing a dead cat at the mall without hitting a "built" 4 door.

But for Moab, the 4 door wheel base is a big deal. I have wheeled Moab twice with a quite a few different rigs and the longer wheelbase rigs have an advantage for sure.

Stretch that 2 door and put 37's on it and you've got a nice machine :grin2:
Love my Jk but when I'm driving my Impact Orange LJ you just don't see one of them on every corner.
Slowly building it.

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
IMO, For Moab one really only needs 35" rubber and trussed d-44 to do the harder trails. We used to do stock rubi on 33's for hells revenge, Kane Creek, Triple Threat, behind the rocks, metal masher, cliff hanger, Moab rim. On Moab rim we scraped the bumper.

On 35's we do Pritchett, Green Day, some of the other BFE trails.

However, we would pick easy lines, and weren't afraid of using winches.

Moab is pretty easy wheeling. You really don't need to be built big. Trussed axles are key, I've bent too many before I caught on that they matter.

4door is easier for bigger climbs but a 2door works fine too. The line is different.

Moab is a great place. Lots of the trails present mentally tough obstacles rather than physical obstacles.

With a big strong rig say 40's on D60's built tough, then upper helldorado, Brittany Speers, Smashing Pumpkin are doable. Albeit with risk of body damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
366 Posts
However, we would pick easy lines, and weren't afraid of using winches.
With a big strong rig say 40's on D60's built tough, then upper helldorado, Brittany Speers, Smashing Pumpkin are doable. Albeit with risk of body damage.
Those two comments are key. You can do a lot in Moab in a 2wd caprice if you take easy lines, avoid any obstacles and just go sight seeing. For me, that isn't where the fun is at hence going the first time on 37s and now 41s. It's all what you're looking for.

Last May, I couldn't get through the second obstacle in upper helldorado due to the washout without destroying my b-pillar so decided not too. Planning on a pillar delete with new cage before the next trip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts