JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been several times but this will be my first in my JK (last year really sucked as my new rig broke down close to Barstow). Anyway, my question is about trails. I have heard recent conflicting stories about going during the Safari. In the past i just showed up and wheeled on any trail we wanted. Now I am hearing the you must be registered to run the trails. Has something changed?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've only been once while a event was going on, and I was registered. I can't see how they can close a public trail; I would guess that they won't let you run with the groups unless your registered. If you go with your own people and don't get in there way I don't see why you would have to register.

·
Registered
183 Posts
True. Last year they were able to close some of the more used trails for EJS use only until the organized group was off the trail. For instance, at the bottom of Moab Rim there was a vehicle blocking the trail with a BLM sign saying that this was per permit. If you are going to EJS week, sign up and have fun.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,820 Posts
As a board member of the formerly 3rd largest off road event in Moab....

No, you can not close public lands. Thankfully, otherwise the eco-nuts would certainly use this against trail use.

You can TEMPORARILY limit or control traffic on a trail, IF, you are using the trail under a BLM permit or other authorization that more specifically required INSURANCE as a rider and contingent to your approval to use the trail.

Now with that said, during EJS and I think you are silly to be there during EJS and NOT participate in the event (it makes much more sense to go to Moab to actually wheel not in a traffic jam)..... I have seen closures of some areas and trails. More specifically such activities like Lions Back have been closed by the enforcement of the Moab PD/Sheriff office because of too many stoopid people. Same goes for Potato Salad Hill.

EJS is a great event. But if you are going to Moab to wheel, I would go on a less busy weekend. If you are going to Moab for EJS, have a great time, but join in the event and expect some "issues" with being in a crowded location with more people than the town can reasonably handle. I am in no way dissing on EJS its like going to Woodstock for the music and none of the rest and possibly bigger part of the event.

·
Registered
930 Posts
When you register for their paper you can see the schedule of trails. In that schedule it will tell you what trails are being run that day and what ones are not. Ride the trails that are not being run with a sponsored trail ride. We did this last year and didn't see hardly anyone else on the trails. It was nice. You can run the trails that have a sponsored run on them but you better get there early.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would agree with MikeyW that if you are going to be there that week, sign up for EJS. Your money goes to a good cause, keeping these trails open.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When you register for their paper you can see the schedule of trails. In that schedule it will tell you what trails are being run that day and what ones are not. Ride the trails that are not being run with a sponsored trail ride. We did this last year and didn't see hardly anyone else on the trails. It was nice. You can run the trails that have a sponsored run on them but you better get there early.
This is what we did and it was perfect. Didn't deal with jammed up trails but still got to check out all the vendor stuff and other rigs in town. It was a great time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm trying to set up a meeting with Area BFE to do a run with my crew on Thursday or Friday (to avoid the all JK run sponsored by the nazi forum). The only day I'm doing a sponsored run is Big Saturday. it is SOOOOO cool seeing all of the jeeps (lowercase on purpose) fired up lining the streets as far as you can see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.