JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Rausch creek yesterday and before I left I checked everything and I was low on coolant, so I went to get some and the guy there said that "prestone 50/50 mix with any coolant" would work so I did that and when I was Offroading at RC it over heated figured it was just the many hrs of driving in 4low and went home and now it's doing it again........could it be the coolant mix this never happened before?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
It's not the coolant mix. Could be Thermostat issue.

I'm assuming this is serious overheating not just running a little right of center on the gauge /

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
on a side note did you go with a big TJ? i think i saw you on davis st behind a big TJ yesterday.
i was in my sweet geek squad van

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the coolant mix. Could be Thermostat issue.

I'm assuming this is serious overheating not just running a little right of center on the gauge /
Yeah it's to the point where the chime comes on. It only happened since I put that coolant in.

did you hit alot of mud, could be rad fins are clogged
on a side note did you go with a big TJ? i think i saw you on davis st behind a big TJ yesterday.
i was in my sweet geek squad van
Yeah went through some mud and that's what I thought caused it, but when I got home I pressure washed my whole motor good and radiator very well and still doing it so idk what it could be. Yeah that was me and my buddy we were just heading up there.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
let it idle and turn your AC on and off.
If the fan doesnt turn on thats your problem.
Fans die on these things like its their job.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should of discussed the fan in my post !!! My bad.....

This could also certainly cause the issue you are having.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why was it low to begin with?How much did you have to add? Have you checked it agian?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naww the fan works thats the first thing i checked even though you could hear it going

Why was it low to begin with?How much did you have to add? Have you checked it agian?
It was just right above the "fill line" so i filled it back up to the "max line", never went below the line though

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also forgot to add in my thread, when it over heats the coolant in the tank boils, so could it just possibly be just a theromstat ? Again this only start when i put that new coolant in and about 5hrs later it started over heating.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I also forgot to add in my thread, when it over heats the coolant in the tank boils, so could it just possibly be just a theromstat ? Again this only start when i put that new coolant in and about 5hrs later it started over heating.
^^^^^^^^^^

If a stuck thermo is not allowing circulation it would certainly do as your describing. Boiling for sure.

Do you have circulation ? possibly a water pump !!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^^^^^^

If a stuck thermo is not allowing circulation it would certainly do as your describing. Boiling for sure.

Do you have circulation ? possibly a water pump !!!!
Thats what me and my buddy thought too:pissed:. Thanks for the help guys, you know if their hard to change just in case warranty doesnt cover it lol ? Also what could have caused it to close up like that?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Water pumps normally have a weep hole and will leak when they start to go bad.

Start the jeep up, let it come up to temp to open the thermostat, once its is up to temp, rev the motor, if the coolant gets sucked down, then your pump is most likely fine and your thermostat is good too. Anymore stats are designed to fail in the open position but, not to say they always fail. While doing this see if the lower hose sucks in, compresses. Could be a weak hose squeezin closed under load.

Thermostat is easy to change/remove. The pump, don't know myself about that someone else will have to chime in.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought we were supposed to use HOAT coolant with these cooling systems. May be the mix of other coolant may have caused the over heating?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Coolant types do vary. However I have used 50/50 Preston many times in my 08 JK.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The OP said he went through some mud, and cleaned the engine and radiator.

I'll bet the radiator isn't clean enough. Many times, there is still mud between the A/C condenser and the radiator. (If he has an A/C condenser)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought we were supposed to use HOAT coolant with these cooling systems. May be the mix of other coolant may have caused the over heating?
There is a possibility (I'm not sure how true it is) that mixing the types can cause gunk to build up over time. My impression is that this would be over a much longer time period than the OP is talking about.

I would guess water pump/thermostat myself.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My jeep is brand new just broke 5k on it two days ago so thats why I'm kinda of confused on what it could be. I took a pressure washer to the whole front of the jeep and clean it real good and went Offroading today and went about a football field into the woods and the temp was already 3/4 then I turned around and at the end the chime went off. Tuesday I'll have to take it in for warranty if I can't get a def answer from here

·
Registered
91 Posts
This happened to me and it was the radiator cap that failed. Caused the coolant to boil, you could see it boiling in the overflow.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
My jeep is brand new just broke 5k on it two days ago so thats why I'm kinda of confused on what it could be. I took a pressure washer to the whole front of the jeep and clean it real good and went Offroading today and went about a football field into the woods and the temp was already 3/4 then I turned around and at the end the chime went off. Tuesday I'll have to take it in for warranty if I can't get a def answer from here
Seems you had an issue before you added the coolant. That in itself wouldn't cause it to overheat. Look for the obvious, low coolant means it has either burned it (bad head gasket, head or or block crack, etc.) or leaked it out (loose clamp, leaking radiator or heat exchanger, leaking or cracked overflow bottle, etc.). If it has boiled it out that could be as simple as a bad cap, bad thermostat, or worse, the aforementioned block, head, head gasket, etc. Best to carefully pressurize the system and see if it holds. Test the cap, too.

FWIW, inexplicably the JK's overflow tank has its own vent at the filler. I found that on climbs & descents and other off road situations the stupid thing can spit coolant out the bloody vent. I pay no attention to the "Max" or 'Min" lines any more, if there's some coolant in the reservoir that's good enough. It seems to settle a bit above the "Min" line and stay there. The specified Mopar coolant is $25 a gallon at the local Stealer, forget it! The JK is one hot running SOB and something eventually has to give.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts