JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being an American, I'm not really sure what the various tax brackets are.. but isn't 14% kind of low for a multimillionaire? He paid approx. $3 million in taxes which works out to 13.6%

Doesn't seem fair that the average working stiff pays more in taxes percentage wise than Mitt.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Just because he makes more ($), why should he have to pay more (%) from everyone else. Good for him, he's sucessful. He shouldn't have to be punished for it. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yep! Sounds like the type of President and Cabinet member(the accountant) that I want in charge of our economy.
^^^This. [email protected]#K Obama. I'm sure he'd be a fun nice guy to play basketball with and have a beer/smoke (cig), but he sucks at running this country. Doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just because he makes more ($), why should he have to pay more (%) from everyone else. Good for him, he's sucessful. He shouldn't have to be punished for it. 'Nuff said.
The point isn't that the rich bastard should pay a higher percentage, the point is the rich bastard paid LESS of a percentage than alot of people.

I would never say that someone should have to pay a higher percentage just because they are successful. However, IMO everyone should pay an equal percentage. The same percentage of income for everyone.

Someone who's poor shouldn't be required to pay a LARGER portion of their income than someone who's rich and honestly never has to work a day in the rest of their life if they so chose.(Not saying they didn't earn it originally, just saying they are already set and don't "need" more) The same relative portion of someone's income.

If I make $20 million a year, I can shell out a couple of bucks so that my tax percentage is equal to the guy making only $20 thousand. And guess what, even after the taxes I could still live the rest of my life without ever working and having REALLY nice things....after only one year....

·
Registered
991 Posts
If I make $20 million a year, I can shell out a couple of bucks so that my tax percentage is equal to the guy making only $20 thousand.QUOTE]

Just because you "can" why should you have to? Same percentage for everyone, fine by me. And, that is the case, assuming your are in the same tax bracket. We already have a tax system in place for this. Just because one person can hire a better accountant than another shouldn't penalize the guy who makes more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just because you "can" why should you have to? Same percentage for everyone, fine by me. And, that is the case, assuming your are in the same tax bracket. We already have a tax system in place for this. Just because one person can hire a better accountant than another shouldn't penalize the guy who makes more.
*shrug* I don't see paying an equal percentage of your income to taxes as a penalty. I see it as a civic duty.

I just think the percentage should be the same. An accountant shouldn't be able to "work the angles" allowing someone to avoid paying their percentage.

Just my opinion, leaving it at that. I'm not here to solve the nation's tax disputes.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The point isn't that the rich bastard should pay a higher percentage, the point is the rich bastard paid LESS of a percentage than alot of people.
Capital gains vs losses. If your investments are in the right (or wrong) place, it would affect the total percentage you pay.

If he dumped enough investments that were tanking, and in this economy that's not hard to find, the losses will come into play when it's tax time.

~SoCo

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
^^This.

And it has to do with what he has done with the money he made. The 15%ish taxes he paid was the government dictated taxable amount for what he did with his money. If he was pulling a normal pay check working for a company, he'd be in the 30%ish bracket that the rest of us are in.

End result ...he is playing by the rules, as set by our rulers, and should not be punished for that ...or for being successful.

Now then ...RON PAUL 2012!!

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
Not being an American, I'm not really sure what the various tax brackets are.. but isn't 14% kind of low for a multimillionaire? He paid approx. $3 million in taxes which works out to 13.6%

Doesn't seem fair that the average working stiff pays more in taxes percentage wise than Mitt.
It's income from his investments and that is how the our tax system works. He doesnt pick his bracket just like I don't.

·
Coonasian
1,833 Posts
We don't have a flat tax system. Almost all of his income is related to dividends and investments that are taxed at different rates. He is following the letter of the law and is paying $3M a year in taxes and donating another $3M to charity. He is a successful man. That is what is great about this country, everyone is free to go out and achieve what he has, and many have exceeded it.

Instead of raving because the man is a flaming success and follows our tax law, try getting the tax code changed and simplified! I, too, would love a flat tax but that ain't the way it is now. I refuse to piss and moan about people that are simply smarter than I am. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
FYI - Mit Romney donates MILLIONS of Dollars a year to Charity.
Nobody ever seems to care about that fact. He donated over 3 million bucks to various charities. Of course the Mormon Church got most of it but nobody forces you to support any certain charities.

If you donate money, time, items etc to charity and do not write if off on taxes more power to you. I know I put a little in the pot when I can, and even though the tax write off isnt why I do it, I still claim it when it comes time for the man to get his share.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It's income from his investments and that is how the our tax system works. He doesnt pick his bracket just like I don't.
Yes capital gains are 15% from bush
I think about 12+ million of his income was made from capital gains
If Obama had it his was capital gains would be 55%, which would suck
Good for Romney, Hes a smart guy made smart investments and has a good accountant
Not my guy for president but at least you know he can handle his finances

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
*shrug* I don't see paying an equal percentage of your income to taxes as a penalty. I see it as a civic duty.

I just think the percentage should be the same. An accountant shouldn't be able to "work the angles" allowing someone to avoid paying their percentage.

Just my opinion, leaving it at that. I'm not here to solve the nation's tax disputes.
If you were Mitt you wouldn't just write the IRS a big fat bonus check either out of some "civic duty" but you might do what he did and give a shitload to charity

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
Yes capital gains are 15% from bush
I think about 12+ million of his income was made from capital gains
If Obama had it his was capital gains would be 55%, which would suck
Good for Romney, Hes a smart guy made smart investments and has a good accountant
Not my guy for president but at least you know he can handle his finances
I want a guy who can handle his money. We have already established that a community organizer can't handle other peoples money.:)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.